I mentioned last week that one of my current goals is to challenge myself to make more things from scratch. As we’re eating lots of protein bars as part of P90X, I wanted to see if I could create a yummy, healthful and nutritious protein bar from scratch.
After scouring the internet for recipes, I ended up tweaking a recipe I found on the P90X forums. The result was the following recipe, which every single person in our family has dubbed as delicious.
Homemade Protein Bars
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 1/2 cups dry oatmeal
- 2 Tablespoons flax seed, ground
- 2-4 scoops protein powder
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large chocolate bar (I used organic dark chocolate) or 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Mix all ingredients but chocolate together well (mixture will be somewhat sticky). Line an 8×8-inch pan with foil and spread the mixture evenly in the pan. Melt chocolate on the stove or in the microwave. Drizzle or spread over the mixture in the pan.
Place the pan in the freezer for at least 2 hours. Cut into 10 -12 bars and wrap in plastic wrap and/or foil and store in the freezer.
Thaw slightly before serving.
1/1oth of this recipe = approximately 260 calories and 11 to 13 grams of protein (depending upon how much protein powder you use, per Calorie Count.)
I’m also planning to try Lindsey’s protein bar recipe soon, as well, as it looks like a winner, too!
Want Step-By-Step Help To Start Eating Healthier?
Looking for more ideas, practical tips, recipes, and step-by-step help to live a healthy lifestyle? Through midnight tonight (Monday, September 15, 2014), you can get The Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle for just $29.97. This Bundle is packed with ebooks, e-courses, and some cool free bonuses.
Here’s a sampling of what you’ll get for just $29.97:
- The Nourished Metabolism ebook — $30 value
- The Eczema Cure ebook — $29.95 value
- Natural Homestead ebook — $24.95
- All Natural Living: 75 Non-Toxic Recipes for Home & Beauty ebook — $2.99 value
- Kids Eat Real Food ebook — $16.99
- 7-Day Real Food Challenge — $19 value
- 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge — $15 value
- Whole Foods For the Everyday Cook — $6.99 value
- Allergy-Free Cooking — $20 value
- Fit 2 Be 5×5 e-Course — $10 value
- Essential Oils & Natural Health Online Course — $95 value
- FREE 4-month Online Yoga Class Course — $23.97 value
- FREE 3-month menu-planning service from Tradishen — $45 value
And much, much more! See all the contents of this bundle here (it’s over $1,000 value!).