Looking for unique outdoor gift ideas for adventurers this holiday season? We have you covered with this Outdoor Gifts Guide — and they’re all under $30 to help you stick to your gift budget!
This Outdoor Gift Guide was thoughtfully put together by Meg on the MoneySavingMom team, who hits the trail every chance she gets and has a goal to hike all the U.S. National Parks. When she’s not backpacking, hiking, or camping, she’s daydreaming about it and planning her next outdoor adventure.
A Guide to Gifts for Outdoor Lovers
Do you know someone who loves being outdoors? Buying gifts for outdoor adventurers can be challenging, because they typically like to pick their own gear and outdoor equipment is expensive!
But there are still lots of great ideas for outdoorsy people that don’t have to break the budget! Check out this list of outdoor gifts under $30 that are sure to excite the adventurer in your life!
Best Gifts for Outdoorsy People
Practical Gifts for Adventurers
1. Sawyer MINI Water Filtration System — If you know someone who’s interested in getting into backpacking, they’ll definitely need a water filtration device. And you can’t go wrong with this most popular water filtration system! The Sawyer is a go-to for backpackers, and the newest MINI version is even more lightweight than the original (perfect for utralighters) and filters water even more quickly.
2. YETI Rambler Coffee Mug — If you know someone who is more of a camper than a backpacker, you can opt for a nicer and more insulated coffee mug since weight doesn’t matter as much. I have one of these YETI mugs that I use when I’m just camping, and it keeps my coffee hot for hours. I highly recommend it!
3. Nalgene Bottles — You really can’t go wrong with a Nalgene. They’re perfect for just about any type of outdoorsy person. They’re virtually indestructible, completely leakproof, decently lightweight, and can be used for camping, hiking, backpacking, climbing, and more. REI recently released a line of Co-Op bottles that are SO fun! I may have grabbed a few extras because I loved the designs so much!
4. Smartwool Socks — This brand of socks are the BEST hiking socks on the market, in my opinion. Yes, they’re a bit on the pricey side for a pair of socks. But these moisture-wicking, thermo-regulating socks will keep your feet warm when it’s cold, and cool when it’s hot. Not to mention they have just the right amount of cushioning to protect your feet with any type of hiking shoe. I’ve been using a pair of these comfy socks for over 3 years now, and they’re still going strong after multiple, multiple washes. Choose from many different fun designs for men or women.
5. Headlamp — While on the subject of lighting, if someone is just starting to get into the outdoors and is collecting gear for camping or backpacking, a headlamp is a must-have piece of equipment. It’s also a great one to give as a gift, because there are many affordable options and people aren’t as picky about this piece of gear as they are other equipment. I have an inexpensive Black Diamond headlamp and love it. I’ve been using it for years.
6. First Aid Kit — Every outdoorsy person needs a good First Aid Kit. And even if they already happen to have one, it can be helpful to have an extra for refills! I constantly have to refill my First Aid Kit after taking long hiking trips. This one is less than $30 and has everything you need for a 1-4 day hiking trip.
7. Multitool — Every backpacker needs a multitool! I recommend this Leatherman because of how lightweight and affordable it is. I’ve been using this one for years and it’s been perfect for everything I need it for.
8. Beanie — Anyone who loves being outside can use a good beanie to keep warm during cooler months! The North Face, REI, Arc’teryx, and SmartWool all make really great beanies for outdoor activities.
Other Unique Gifts for Outdoor Lovers
9. Sea to Summit Mug — This lightweight coffee mug is perfect for someone hitting the trail on a regular basis. It won’t weigh a pack down, yet keeps coffee and tea nice and warm — a must when backpacking in cooler weather!
10. Inflatable Solar Lantern — This little lightweight, inflatable solar lantern is a must! It’s perfect for regular camping, but it’s actually lightweight enough that it could even be used as a luxury backpacking item if someone really wants extra light when they get to camp. (Sometimes this can be nice if you’re hiking during the shorter winter months, since you typically get to camp much earlier. It gives you some nice light that doesn’t require batteries, so that you don’t have to hang out with a headlamp on all evening long.)
11. Solar Phone Charger — If you’re on a long multi-day hike, it can be really nice to use your phone for photos, videos, and navigational GPS apps. But most phones don’t hold a charge longer than a few days, even in airplane mode. Top notch solar chargers are on the more expensive side, but this one is a really nice budget-friendly option that’s lightweight enough for backpackers and gets overall good reviews. This is a really unique outdoor gift idea that most people don’t splurge on for themselves when they’re saving up to buy gear. (In fact, I still don’t have one!).
12. Wild Lines Calendar — If you really want to wow an outdoorsy person with a super unique gift, grab this Wild Lines 2020 Calendar. Each month has a hand-drawn image by artist Jeremy Collins — who creates incredibly inspiring outdoor-themed artwork. I’ve been following this climber and artist for years, and this calendar is on my list this year, for sure!
13. Backpacker Magazine Subscription — This magazine subscription is my favorite!! If you know a backpacker or hiker in your life, I highly recommend this as a really unique gift idea that keeps on giving all year long! (Be sure to use code MONEYSAVING at checkout to get an extra 20% off!)
14. Touchscreen Gloves — If an outdoorsy person uses their phone for navigating or taking photos when it’s cold, touchscreen gloves can be really useful. I have this Trailheads pair and love them for camping or hiking during the colder months!
15. Wanderer Bracelet — This is another really unique gift idea for any adventurer in your life who loves to travel. I recommend the coordinates bracelet for the outdoor traveler! You can get the coordinates of one of their favorite places to adventure or you can even get the coordinates of a place that feels like home to them when they’re ready to settle back in after being away.
16. Waterproof Journal — These little Rite in the Rain All-Weather Journals are perfect for the outdoors! I’m a big writer and journaler, so I always love having one of these waterproof journals with me when I’m in the outdoors.
17. Wild Slice Stickers — I am obsessed with these Wild Slice Stickers and they’re so affordable! I have them all over my car, laptop, Hydro Flask, YETI, Nalgenes, and more. They are so unique and capture so much of what I love most about the outdoors! They have something for every type of outdoorsy person and this is a unique outdoor gift idea sure to wow the adventurer in your life. My favorite is the Hiker Girl, but there are so many great options. (They also have some new tees with the some of the designs, which I’m loving!)
18. Scratch-Off Map — These maps are so much fun to keep track of places traveled! I have the U.S. National Parks map and love scratching it off each time I mark another park off my list.
Outdoor Gifts for Adventurers: Stocking Stuffers
19. REI Gift Card — You can’t go wrong with an REI gift card. There’s probably no better gift for an outdoors person! If you’re unsure what to get the adventurer in your life, just slip one of these into their stocking and they’re sure to be thrilled!
20. Nuum Hydration Tabs — These little hydration tabs are lifesavers when you’re on a strenuous hike or don’t have as frequent access to water as you’d like. I always keep these on hand, and they’re a great stocking stuffer idea for a backpacker or even outdoor sports enthusiast of any kind.
21. Hand Warmers — These are such a cozy luxury when camping! They have them for your feet, too.
22. Paracord — This is a really versatile tool for all outdoorsy people. The possibilities and uses are endless, and I always love having some paracord on hand when I’m outside.
23. Travel Size Wilderness Wash — This stuff is amazing and can be used as shampoo, body wash, hand soap, laundry detergent, dish soap, and more. It’s super concentrated, so a little goes a really long way. It’s biodegradable and a really great eco-friendly soap for Leave No Trace principles.
24. Spork — Every outdoorsy person needs a spork to enjoy their favorite meal while they’re getting outside! I love Sporks because they’re versatile and lightweight.
25. Moleskin — This stuff is a lifesaver when you get a blister in the backcountry! A hiker can never have too much moleskin on hand as backup. It will always get used.
More Holiday Gift Guides
Looking for other budget-friendly holiday gift guides? Don’t miss these:
Stay tuned as we roll out more gift guides over the next week — put together by several differentteam members!
Psst! Be sure to sign up for our hot deals newsletter to make sure you don’t miss any of the hottest deals each day this holiday season!