Looking for a hearty snack or delicious addition to your breakfast table? Look no further than these fabulous whole-wheat banana chocolate chip muffins!
Whole wheat banana muffins are the best snack!
Last week, I wanted to use up a bunch of over-ripe bananas. So I took our favorite Banana Bread recipe and made it into muffins instead.
I used whole wheat flour and added chocolate chips — because, of course!
They were so delicious… though I won’t tell you how many I ate over the course of a few days! At least I made them with all whole-wheat flour and bananas… so they are totally healthy, right?? 😂
My only regret is that I didn’t make more because they freeze so well!
Ingredients for Banana Muffins
- 2 cups flour (I used whole-wheat, but you could use all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 bananas, mashed
- 1 cup sugar (I used turbinado)
- 1/2 cup oil (I used melted coconut oil)
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
How to Make Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or use paper liners.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
4. In a smaller bowl mix sugar, oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla.
5. In another bowl, mash the bananas.
6. Add wet ingredients and mashed bananas to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
7. Stir in chocolate chips, if desired.
8. Pour mixture into muffin tins and bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean.
9. Cool in pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
10. Enjoy your warm muffins, or cool completely and place in a food storage container for later.
Frequently Asked Questions About Banana Muffins
Yes, simply let them cool completely and place them in a zip-top bag.
Pull out as many muffins as desired and thaw on the counter for a few hours or defrost them in the microwave for 20-45 seconds.
Your bananas should be covered all over in brown spots that smell very fragrant. You can wait longer until the bananas are completely brown or even black on the outside for the most flavor.
Banana muffins are a good source of vitamin E, iron, omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, and essential minerals. They also have a good amount of carbohydrates for extra energy!
Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or all purpose
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 bananas mashed
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or use paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl mix sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla, and milk.
- In another bowl, mash the bananas.
- Add wet ingredients and mashed bananas to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips, if desired.
- Pour mixture into muffin tins and bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
- Enjoy your warm muffins, or cool completely and place in a food storage container for later.
Love this recipe?
Make sure to share and save it on your favorite platform below!
Looking for more ways to use up ripe bananas?
Check out this LONG list of some of my very favorite ideas.
Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy
We love comments from readers, so chime in with your thoughts below! We do our best to keep this blog upbeat and encouraging, so please keep your comments cordial and kind. Read more information on our comment policy.
Leigh Baker says
Was the cooking time different for the muffins? The bread says 1 hour and 15 minutes….is that the same for the muffins?
Crystal Paine says
I baked them for 20-25 minutes.