MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

55 Ways to Use Up Ripe Bananas

55 Ways to Use Ripe Bananas

We love bananas at our house, but occasionally, life will happen and we’ll let bananas go past their prime. Or, sometimes, I’ll find bananas marked down at the store because they are starting to get too ripe.

I’m really weird in that I prefer to eat bananas when they have some black spots on them, but the rest of my family won’t touch them once they are at the “Black Spot” stage.

When we have an abundance of over-ripe bananas, I either freeze them to use in smoothies and baking later, or I go ahead and make one of our favorite banana recipes with them.

I thought it might be fun to put together a list of some of my favorite banana recipes + some other recipes that I hope to try sometime soon. Some of these recipes are right here on my blog and others I gathered these from a variety of sites around the web. Most of them are fairly healthful (with a few exceptions) and many of them are family favorites.

Enjoy! (And be sure to tell us what YOUR favorite banana recipes are in the comments!)

Breakfasts:

55 Ways to Use Ripe Bananas

Snacks:

55 Ways to Use Ripe Bananas

Breads:

55 Ways to Use Ripe Bananas

Muffins:

55 Ways to Use Ripe Bananas

Smoothies:

55 Ways to Use Ripe Bananas

Desserts:

Do you often buy a bunch of bananas, only to watch them turn black on your kitchen counter? Here are 55 different ways to use up those ripe bananas, so that they don't go to waste! I LOVE some of these great ideas and recipes!!

What are YOUR favorite ways to use up ripe bananas? Tell us in the comments!

Do you want to take better control of your grocery budget? If so, you’ll want to read my newest eBook, 5 Days to a Better Grocery Budget!

This eBook will give you all the tips, tricks, and practical advice you need to create a grocery budget tailored to your family’s needs that you can actually STICK to (because that’s the key!)

In this eBook, you’ll learn:

1. How to create a grocery budget that fits your family’s needs and your finances!
  2. New systems to help you keep track of what you spend at the store!
  3. How to actually stick with your new budget and save money for years to come!
  4. Ways to save up to $50 off your grocery bill THIS WEEK by using the 10 simple strategies outlined in this eBook!

Read to get started? Just use the form below to sign up!

Need to overhaul your grocery budget?
I want to help! Join my email list and get FREE ACCESS to my new eBook, 5 Days to a Better Grocery Budget. Sign up now!

19 Comments

1. Chellie says:

Thanks for sharing my breakfast banana split! I’m with you, I like a few brown spots on my bananas, they’re nice and sweet that way.

2. My favorite is definitely Nana Anna’s Banana Bread – I made 4 loaves this week! It freezes great and is egg free. http://www.myjoyinchaos.com/home/2016/3/nana-annas-banana-bread-recipe

• Teresa says:

Thanks for the recipe Katie. I am going to try it. My youngest is allergic to eggs and wheat so I just have to swap out the flour. The less ingredients an have to change the better it usually turns out.

3. Amy A. says:

I have banana bread baking in the oven right now.

4. Sherry says:

I freeze bananas right in their peels!

• Linda says:

I’ve been doing that for years. As soon as the bananas get too ripe I throw them right in the freezer as is. I have so many right now that I’m wanting to make a few different things.

5. K Ann Guinn says:

I also love to have extra bananas in the house, and often buy more just to freeze for smoothies and baking. I most often make green smoothies, because now that my family is used to the greens, it’s so much more healthy. I almost always include bananas in smoothies, because they improve the texture and add natural sweetness (which means I rarely add sweeteners). I actually wrote a blog post about freezing bananas, too.

By the way, you are not weird for liking bananas with brown spots. According to a couple of websites, they have added health benefits when they are ripe!

I love your list of 55 ways to use bananas! I’m looking forward to trying some of your banana recipes soon.

6. Rosanna says:

What a great list! One thing I didn’t see on your list is to cut the bananas into slices and freeze. After they are frozen, you can put them into a food processor along with 1 TBSP of cocoa, a dash of vanilla, and 2 TBSP Natural Peanut Butter. Process until smooth a creamy like ice cream. We call it Banana “ice cream.” Very delicious!

7. This moist and delicious one bowl banana bread is the best I have ever made and it is so easy! http://www.homeecathome.com/the-home-economist/moist-and-delicious-one-bowl-banana-bread

8. Becca says:

Amazing! The amount of bananas I’ve just thrown away and now I don’t have to. Great resource for reducing household waste!

9. Julia says:

Love this list!

10. I’ll be pinning this list as a resource! Even with 7 people in the house, we always have a couple of bananas sitting around that no one wants. This will be a nice alternative to our usual banana bread. 🙂

• Meg says:

Yay! Thank you! -Meg, MSM Team

• Antonella says:

Hi Meg of MSM Team! I’d love other posts like this regarding other kinds of food. For ex. I usually buy too many greens to eat in salads but when they start to wilt I don’t know what to do with them. I put lettuce in vegetable soups but other than that? I’d love if you could make me discover other uses for that 🙂

thanks
        all the best

11. I am making the whole wheat banana coconut muffins right now! Great list – I am pinning this. I always have extra ripe bananas!

12. nancy says:

Thank you so much for the time you spent for this post!

13. Sheryl says:

Banana pineapple jam, or banana nut butter are awesome.

14. Faith Dossett says:

I learned something interesting about bananas with dark spots on the peel. Bananas like this contain TNF (Tumor Necrosing Factor), which kills breast cancer cells. I was diagnosed with breast cancer and has a mastectomy in late October, 2016, and read about this shortly after my surgery. Since then, I’ve tried to eat 2 or 3 “spotty’ bananas a day. Also, okra is a cancer fighter, as are several other vegetables. I just couldn’t resist posting about the bananas, though. (Even if fruits and vegetables don’t have cancer-fighting properties, they’re good for you. And a plate looks so much prettier with colorful food on it!)

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy