I’m currently challenging myself to stick with a $70 grocery budget for our family of five. This includes almost all of our breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and dinners + most household products (toiletries, laundry soap, etc.).
For live updates, be sure to follow my Instagram Stories. See all posts on my $70 Grocery Budget here.
Note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and we will be compensated if you click through and sign up. Read our disclosure policy here.
Kroger! I’ve missed you! And of course, when I was gone to India, you had to have some fantastic deals that I missed. I saw them online and wished I could fly back just to get them… but alas, that wasn’t really feasible.
(I did get to go to a grocery store called More while I was in India. The prices were pretty downright incredible! I took a bunch of pictures and will do a post about that sometime in the next few weeks. Our Indian friends found it quite funny that I was so excited about all of the deals there and how cheaply I could feed our family. Of course, considering the whole not using toilet paper thing and the fact that I got sick as a dog with Dehli Belly at the end of the trip, I think I’ll happily stick with shopping at Kroger here in the US!)
The kids are back in school and that means that I can swing by Kroger on the way home from school drop offs. I actually drive right by two different Kroger stores on the way home, believe it or not! Best of all, I can run into Kroger at the perfect time of day to shop: before 8 a.m.! Not only are there usually some good markdowns, but there also is usually almost no one at the store!
Here’s what I got this morning:
Thursday Kroger Shopping Trip
- Gillette Satin Gel — $0.99 when you buy 5 participating items in the current Kroger Mega Event (buy $5, get $5 off)
- 2 Lady Speed Stick Deodorants –$0.99 when you buy 5 participating items in the current Kroger Mega Event (buy $5, get $5 off)
- Wrigley Extra Chewy Mints — priced at $1.50, use $1.50/1 Kroger Digital coupon, FREE after coupon
- Colgate Toothpaste — $1.99 when you buy 5 participating items in the current Kroger Mega Event (buy $5, get $5 off), used $2/1 Kroger digital coupon = FREE after coupon
- Gillette Daisy Razors — $3.99 when you buy 5 participating items in the current Kroger Mega Event (buy $5, get $5 off), used $3/1 Kroger digital coupon = $0.99 after coupon
- 2 boxes Welch’s Fruit Rolls (these particular ones didn’t have any food coloring or artificial flavoring!) — $0.99 each when you buy 5 participating items in the current Kroger Mega Event (buy $5, get $5 off), used $1/2 Kroger digital coupon = $0.49 per box after coupon + submitted for $1/2 Checkout 51 rebate = FREE after coupon and rebate!
- 2 bags of Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Crackers — $0.99 when you buy 5 participating items in the current Kroger Mega Event (buy $5, get $5 off)
- 1 bar of Kraft cheese — $1.99 when you buy 5 participating items in the current Kroger Mega Event (buy $5, get $5 off) — I thought that my $1/1 Kroger digital coupon was going to come off for this, making it just $0.99. I discovered when I got home that the coupon was only good on shredded cheese, not bar cheese. Oh well!
- 6 tubs of Chobani yogurt — marked down to $0.49 each
- 2 tubs of Kroger Greek Moose Tracks yogurt — marked down to $0.29 each
- 2 bags of Peatos — marked down to $0.99 each (Have you tried these before? We haven’t, so I only bought two bags in two different flavors because I wasn’t sure if they were good or not.)
- Half and Half — $2.99
- Smoothie Greens — marked down to $2.99
- Used $4 catalina I earned on my last shopping trip to Kroger
- Total with tax: $18.34
Cashback I Earned
$0.25 from iBotta for submitting my receipt, 69 points from Fetch Rewards for submitting my receipt, and $1 back from Checkout 51 for buying Welch’s Fruit Rolls.
Vickie@Vickie's Kitchen and Garden says
Great deals- maybe I try and go early! Do you ever go to Kroger on Friday for their weekend deals? Today I bought Kroger cheese 16 oz for .99 (you can buy 5). They had others but we don’t use those products. Great deals every weekend.
Crystal Paine says
YES! I always grab their weekend deals — unless I’m out of country like I was last week. 🙂 I got the crackers and cheese and Gatorade today. I’ll be sharing my deals in a post in just a bit. Glad you were able to get in on the great weekend deals, too!
We went to the grocery surplus store and got six one pound Polly O mozzarella chunks for .79 each. They had 24 pack cases of Qui yogurt for an amazing 2.50. M Maid OJ was 1.25, 1# O Mayer deli fresh turkey breast was 2.29, Arnold bread $1, Ghiradelli choc chips for 1.79, big boxes of sea salt for 1.29, and all the stuff I cannot remember. 🙂
Crystal Paine says
That’s AMAZING!!!! I’m so excited for you to have found all of those deals!
I’m always amazed at your ability to spend so little per week at the grocery store. One question, though: I often see in your pictures that you’ve bought clearanced items that are perishable–like yogurt, salad greens, eggs. How do you use it all before the expiration date? I know some things can be frozen, but I’m not sure about freezing some of the items I’ve seen you buy. Thanks!
Crystal Paine says
I usually only buy what I know we can use up before it goes bad… it takes time to figure out what works and what’s too much, etc. I’ve been doing this for a long time, so I’m pretty good at knowing. 🙂 I oftentimes will change what we’re planning to eat that week based upon what I buy at the store if I find a really great deal!