Sometimes, it’s easy to fall prey to believing that we’ll only be happier and more fulfilled when our circumstances change. But the truth is, those of us who live in first world counties have the ability to make choices that will affect how we feel.
If you ever wake up in a funk or you just wish you could spend a day at the spa but time and money aren’t at your disposal to do so, here are 27 Ways to Feel Happier — for free!
1. Hug someone.
2. Make a warm drink (coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or Decaf Chai Latte) and savor it.
3. Create a playlist of music that makes you happy.
4. Go outside and look up at the sky.
5. Write a note to encourage someone else.
6. Sing like no one can hear you. 😉
7. Take a walk.
9. Turn on some music and dance.
11. Watch a comedy clip on YouTube.
14. Organize something.
15. Send a text to tell a friend you’re thinking of her.
16. Tell someone thank you for something they’ve done for you.
17. Light a candle.
18. Bake something.
19. Smile at people today and see how many people you can get to smile back at you.
21. Listen to a podcast that inspires you. (This is one of my current favorite podcasts.)
23. Make someone else laugh.
24. Create something beautiful.
25. Sign up for some freebies. (Free makes me happy!)
26. Invite a friend over for tea or coffee.
27. Open up your windows in the morning and let the fresh breeze in.
What other ideas would you add to my list? I’d love to hear! Share them in the comments.
P.S. I highly recommend grabbing a copy of The Happiness Dare if you need encouragement and inspiration to add more “shots of happy” into your life.