MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Decaf Chai Latte (what I’m drinking instead of coffee now!)

As some of you know, I made some radical health changes at the end of August that have majorly impacted my life in really incredible ways — including allowing me to completely get off all of the meds and supplements I’ve been on for acne, eczema, and anxiety.

One of the big changes was going completely off of coffee. Yes, for real. For 16 weeks now, I’ve not had a cup of coffee.

I missed it really, really badly at first. Like, I wanted to cry I missed it so dreadfully.

And it didn’t help that I had raging headaches and felt lethargic for the first week after I went off of it cold turkey.

But 16 weeks later, I can tell you that the health changes I’ve experienced are every bit worth not drinking coffee. And my goal is to never drink it again.

I have so much more energy, I’m sleeping so much better, I have so much less anxiety, and I’m so much happier overall. So it’s worth it.

But I do love me a warm drink, so I’ve experimented with a few different healthier decaf options and have come up with one that I absolutely love.

It helps that Jesse surprised me by buying this amazing frother and I can’t say enough about how much I love it. It makes incredible froth like nobody’s business! (Watch the video below to see how it works!)

I call it Decaf Chai Latte — even though I’m pretty sure it’s not technically that. But calling it that makes me feel like it’s a little closer to coffee than it is, so just go with it, okay?!

It’s so simple to make and only takes 3 ingredients!

These are three teas that I currently really love: Decaf Hot Cinnamon, Stash Chai Spice, and Chai Rooibos. (I also like this one, but I’m out of it right now so I didn’t have a box to show in the picture!)

I like my tea strong, so I make it with two tea bags and only half a mug of hot water.

You can use half & half in place of the milk and it will be a lot thicker and creamier.

Want to see me make this live? Watch the video below. Oh and be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see fun videos from me every week!

36 Comments

1. I have to watch my caffeine too and enjoy a Salted Caramel Oolong tea in the afternoon, or a Chai. I also really like the flavor of Teeccino – caffeine free, has prebiotic fiber and tastes like coffee! And frothed milk is de rigueur!

2. Danielee says:

I went off caffeine in May. Before that I was drinking 12 oz. espresso a day. I decided to do it because of a commenter here that mentioned her doctor said caffeine could stick around in the system for 24 hours and affect the quality of sleep. Since going off caffeine I am more focused and productive, I feel happier, and I think I feel better rested & more energetic (ironic, right?). I did not quit cold turkey. I halved the amount every few days (mixing with decaf) until I was only putting a teaspoon of real coffee with my decaf. Then I weaned off decaf too because I wanted to cut back on my sugar.

3. Deborah says:

I’m excited to try this! I just hit my print button! Thank-you!

And the pic of you with braids and the hat is super cute. 🙂 I like you now and I liked you all the years ago too! 🙂 Life is partly about growing, changing and becoming.

Good night!

4. Sara says:

This is really, really good! I’m usually a strict coffee drinker, but as I was reading this I realized I had a few green chai tea bags and a pint of half & half (I don’t usually buy it). YUM!! I’m going to have to restock my tea stash 🙂

5. Charity says:

I don’t do dairy and think this would be great with Almond or coconut milk and healthier for you also!

6. Bonita Timmons says:

Looks amazing:) where can we buy the frother..so excited for your journey….

7. I love coffee too but have been seriously thinking about starting to cut back and possibly eliminate all together so this looks like a tasty, warm and comforting alternative.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do when you occasionally visit a coffee shop or Starbucks? I do a lot of my writing there to get out of the house on days when I have childcare and have a lot of rewards build up that I would hate to go to waste 🙂

8. Melissa says:

I would love to know more about your eating plan. I gave up caffeine years ago bt have more changes that need to be made. I too deal with anxiety but prefer to use natural methods to medicine if possible. You are looking great Crystal and seem to really be enjoying your new life choices. You are an inspiration. 😃 I am ready to let go of the perfectionism and be the old me that was more confident, less critical, and just generally had more fun and zest for life.

9. Carmel says:

Looks good. I was surprised to see dairy in the mix though. 100% sure dairy causes my acne. It took me a long time to cut it out and sometimes I’m a little sad about it. Coconut cream from trader joes has replaced dairy in my coffee. Maybe yummy flavored decaf tea will replace my coffee soon too. Thanks for sharing.

10. Beth says:

You’ve probably answered this somewhere, but why don’t you drink decaf coffee? I’m nearly caffeine free (meaning about twice a week I have a hot black tea or half a cup of coffee) because I’m nursing a baby that can’t tolerate it. I’ve been drinking decaf instead. Also, do you have a trick for a substitute for a caffeine hit if you need one? With an infant I’m often tired :). For the most part I don’t miss the caffeine but every once in a while I need something so that I can be a pleasant person during a social event :).

11. Kimberly says:

This is so encouraging! Can’t wait for the benefits all of you are talking about. I’m getting off caffeine and eliminating artificial sweeteners—one month at a time for each new habit, because I got that wise idea from you, Crystal!

Now I’m going to copy this idea from you, too. Thank you so much! 🙂

12. Kimberly says:

Oops—forgot to say: I’m SO glad for you that you’ve received all these wonderful benefits, Crystal! (Could it be the barking dog and fussing-but-precious-children who distracted me?! Ha!)

13. Nicole says:

I stopped drinking coffee a couple months ago for health related reasons, and my new favorite drink is ‘molasses tea’ 😉 All you do is warm up a cup of milk and add 1 tbsp of molasses (can change amount to taste) and stir it in. I’ve started adding cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger or anything else that sounds good as well. 😊 It’s creamy, warm and molasses is high in iron and calcium!

14. Nicole says:

I’ve been off coffee for a couple of months as well and my new go to is ‘molasses tea’. You simply heat up a cup of milk, add about a tbsp molasses (or to taste), stir and go from there! I’ve started adding a little cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg to each cup too. Creamy and comforting, high in calcium and iron! 🙂

15. Danielle Hale says:

Dear Crystal,
    Thanks so much for sharing your transition away from coffee and this great recipe! As a Mother of two young children I looked forward to my first cup of coffee each morning. But I found the anxiety it produced each day to be counterproductive to my prayers of patience and peace. I have gone caffiene free and the benefits have kept me from going back. I wake up ready to go each morning, I snap less at the children, and I have so much less anxiety throughout the day. It has been an amazing discovery that something I was drinking each morning was making such a big impact on how smoothly my day went. I have also been drinking lots of caffiene free tea, which doesn’t taste as good, but is a small sacrifice for how much better I feel. ~Danielle

16. Michelle says:

I’ve been doing the SAME thing!! Only with the caffeine and after my coffee. I’ve been feeling the need to get off caffeine though. When my pot died this week I thought it was a sign.

Have you tried making a London fog? Just as delicious, but I do think it needs a tsp of sugar.

17. Lalla Miller says:

May I ask a favor? I’d love to have the email about the health changes you made? You’re positively glowing these days! My email address is lallasteinmann@yahoo.com

18. Tyla Milian says:

Have you ever experimented with Pero? It’s a great alternative to coffee. It’s best with a little cream or whole milk and its naturally frothy when you mix it with super hot water. I drink it almost everyday right now.

19. Jocelyn says:

Hi, If you have not already, I suggest you might want to try Roma (caffeine and gluten-free) made in Germany from roasted chickory root, barley, and rye and malt barley. It’s an instant beverage with a very mellow taste very much like coffee; I really like it. In the past I’ve also had Inka and Pero, but long enough ago that I couldn’t tell you now how they compare to Roma. I really appreciate the change after ending caffeine. In November, I did a 21 day cleanse with my daughter and by the end, I had completely lost my craving for caffeine. Now, in the morning, I have a cup of Dandelion Tea, Nettle Tea or Raspberry Leaf Tea. Good luck on your journey!

20. Carly says:

Is it hard to clean your frother?

• No! I just rinse it out with a little soapy water as soon as I use it. (Don’t let it sit or you’ll need to scrub the froth residue out.) And then I toss the frother lid in the dishwasher!

21. Brenda says:

Crystal, when I read this, I thought *maybe* I should try tea one more time. I switched to decaf coffee a couple of years ago because I realized how much better I felt being off caffeinated coffee. I’ve tried MANY different teas over the years but never liked any of them. I decided to give your chai tea latte a try & IT’S SOOO GOOD! I really enjoy it! Thank you for sharing your experience because I probably wouldn’t have tried it otherwise. If you haven’t tried a pumpkin spice chai tea latte yet, they are wonderful! I had one at Starbuck’s a few weeks ago & I knew I had to recreate it at home. It’s the perfect fall drink!

22. Nicole C says:

I froth my milk all the time with my french press! I heat up the milk in the microwave and then pump it in the french press and voila! 🙂 My husband works night shift and frequently eats breakfast with us before going to bed- I just bought some decaf chai tea and am planning to make some so he can enjoy a hot drink without keeping him up like coffee! Thank you for the recipe!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy