We love this easy Banana Bread recipe!
This is our tried and true banana bread recipe — everyone in our family LOVES it, which is why I’ve been making it for years and years. It’s so easy to make and uses ingredients you probably already have on hand.
I wouldn’t say it is the most healthful banana bread recipe ever invented, but it sure is delicious! Plus, it freezes exceptionally well, which is always a plus in my book!
This recipe works well as a breakfast, snack, dessert, or side dish, and it’s an excellent way to use up over-ripe bananas.
Use up ripe bananas!
We always freeze bananas whole (without peels) in a freezer bag once they are so ripe that no one wants to eat them. And then we save them to use in banana bread! (Here are 55 other recipes for ripe bananas.)
Sometimes we decide to mix things up and add chocolate chips — which is especially amazing if you’re a chocolate lover. Feel free to experiment with other mix-ins too — this is a fantastic base recipe to start with!
Silas often helped me whip up this easy recipe while I made dinner.
Look how tiny (and cute) he is!
Ingredients for Banana Bread
- 4 cups flour (all-purpose, whole-wheat, or a mixture of both)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oil (I used melted coconut oil)
- 2 cups sugar (I used turbinado)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 6-8 bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
Optional Mix-ins for Banana Bread:
- 1 cup mini or regular chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 full banana, chopped into pieces (not smashed with the other bananas)
How to Make Banana Bread:
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Grease two 9″ loaf pans and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
4. In a large bowl, mix all wet ingredients.
5. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and blend until just combined.
6. Pour mixture into greased loaf pans and bake in preheated oven 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean.
7. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
8. Eat while still warm, or cool completely and freeze for later.
To freeze: Let the bread cool and slice the loaf. Cover it in plastic wrap and foil (or put in a zip-top freezer bag). Slice the loaf and cover it in plastic wrap, then in foil (or put in a zip-top bag).
To serve: Thaw on the countertop for a few hours or defrost an individual piece in the microwave for 20-45 seconds. We love to serve ours warm with butter. We also love to pull out slices as needed to use on-the-go as a snack!
Freezer-Friendly Banana Bread
- 4 cup flour all purpose or whole wheat
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup melted coconut oil or melted butter
- 2 cups sugar granular or turbinado
- 4 eggs
- 6-8 over ripe bananas mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease two 9″ loaf pans and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, mix all wet ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and blend until just combined.
- Pour mixture into greased loaf pans and bake in preheated oven 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
- Eat while still warm, or cool completely and freeze for later.
Did you do any freezer cooking today? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!
Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy
We love comments from readers, so chime in with your thoughts below! We do our best to keep this blog upbeat and encouraging, so please keep your comments cordial and kind. Read more information on our comment policy.