MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Pick-Me-Up Smoothie Recipe

The ingredient combination might sound odd, but don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. If you love smoothies like we do, I think you’ll think it’s delicious. At least we all have agreed it’s one of the best smoothie recipes I’ve come up with to date.

It’s perfect when you need an extra shot of energy and oomph on “one of those days”. And it’s quite healthful, too.

41 Comments

• Phallin says:

WOW! That sounds delicious, I am sooo trying this one!!! 🙂

• Emily says:

I’ve used frozen grapes in my blender (low-powered and old) and it’s just fine, they puree just like ice. Yum! Sometimes I put some vodka and wine in instead of the milk to make naughty smoothies. Yum!

• brittan says:

funny, I just used frozen grapes (for the first time) and banana in our smoothies tonight! Very good! And my cheapy oster blender worked just fine. Would LOVE a vita-mix though…! 🙂

• Dawn says:

Now I’ve not done grapes, but it sounds good. I do like frozen grapes, though.

I make my smoothies with just banana and fruit, no yogurt, and they are amazingly good and thick. Tonight we had green smoothies — fresh spinach, frozen peaches, and banana. With green smoothies peach or blueberry works the best. Peach will make it green, and blueberry makes it blue so the kids don’t know they are having spinach. I almost always use frozen fruit because then it’s nice and cold. You can always throw in some ice, though, too.

• Lauren says:

I am so happy you shared this recipe. Just this past Sunday I mentioned to my hubby that I thought a grape smoothie might be really good. He looked at me like I was crazy. I’m heading to the store today to buy some more grapes so I can make this one 🙂 .

• Freezing grapes is a great way to make a good deal on grapes last longer. In the summer we sometimes freeze them with toothpicks inserted for little grapecicles.

• I’ve never used grapes in a smoothie, though now I will be tempted to try it 🙂

Yesterday I shared our smoothie recipe – it’s a strawberry smoothie, with a bit of virgin coconut oil in it, too. Delicious! http://likeabubblingbrook.com/2011/03/the-super-simple-strawberry-smoothie/

Funny how a peek into Spring gets us all thinking about smoothies!

• Jen says:

Last summer I discovered saving the leftovers in the bottom of the fruit salad bowl, instead of throwing them away. It was my first time with grapes and watermelon (I was nervous it would flop) and they came out great! I throw it in a baggie in the freezer and it goes into a smoothie in the Vita-Mix. Now I feel silly for throwing out leftover fruit salad all those years before.

• Lisa says:

Great idea-I do the same with leftover ends and pieces of veggies when I chop them for salads or soups or whatever and make veggie broth from it. Come to think of it, that may have been a tip I got from Crystal, but I can’t remember for sure!

• Sounds good, Ill have to try it!! Also, I post many healthy frugal recipes on my blog too 🙂

• We’ve never done frozen grapes! Will definitely have to try this in our Vita-Mix!

Mary Ellen
    The Working Home Keeper

• Sounds grape! We’ve been taking a smoothie break with the cold weather, but seeing as it was about 80 here yesterday, I think smoothies will return very soon! 🙂

• Heather says:

Well, you might have just convinced me to save for a Vitamix. I’ve tried frozen grapes in my smoothie once before, and my blender would not fully blend the grape skins. Every sip was a mouthful of grape skin, definitely not appetizing!

• Mai says:

This happens to me too. We just inherited a Jack LaLane (sp?) juicer, and I’m wondering if we could run the grapes through that to puree them before putting them in the smoothie?

• shelly says:

Frozen grapes are always a great treat just by themselves!

• Shirley says:

I was just wondering about using frozen grapes in smoothies. Through the summer months I keep grapes frozen as a snack for the kids and they love them. I love all the new ideas for smoothies you have been posting!

• That sounds good! In the summer, I like eating plain frozen grapes (red ones, anyway, I don’t like the frozen green ones as much) for a frozen treat. Helps me avoid eating ice cream! Anyway, I bet they would be great in a smoothie!

• Jessica says:

I just picked up 18lbs of grapes last night – on managers special for .70/lb!
    We normally eat them frozen as snacks {with this many I am going to attempt putting some of skewers and freezing that way so the kids have “Popsicles”} but adding them to our green smoothies is also on our list of things to do with them!
    I love the idea of just banana and grapes for the fruit – I’ll have to try that out!!

If you have any more ideas for frozen grapes do share!! 🙂

• Here’s a Grape Frozen Yogurt Recipe that you could probably use frozen grape for.

• MK says:

I personally love snacking on frozen grapes, especially during the summer. 🙂

• Carin says:

I literally just tried this smoothie recipe.

DELICIOUS! Even the husband approved. I’m the vegetarian of the family, and I can barely get my husband to eat fruits/vegetables. HE even approved and is greedily drinking it down!

Thanks Crystal! 🙂

• casey says:

I LOVE smoothies. My most recent creation includes frozen strawberries and bananas (which I bought on sale, $1/lb strawberries at Meijer and 39c/lb bananas at Aldi) and froze myself, light vanilla yogurt, milk, Designer Whey chocolate protein, and truvia sweetener. YUM!

Specifically:
    2/3 cup (150 g) Fit & Active Vanilla Yogurt (Aldi)
    2/3 cup (150 g) 1 % milk
    100 g frozen strawberries
    55 g (about 1/2) frozen banana slices
    13 g (1/2 scoop) Designer Whey chocolate protein powder
    2 packets Truvia sweetner
    This makes 2 servings, each about 150 calories with 10 g protein.

Haven’t seen a good deal on grapes recently, but when I do, plan to buy and freeze them for smoothies! Already LOVE frozen grapes.

Thanks for the idea Crystal! Love this site. So many good ideas. 🙂

• Kim says:

I’ll definitely be trying this recipe. Sounds delicious! And refreshing! Good to see that others have had success with blending the ingredients in a regular blender. I’ll be using a regular blender, too.

Took a peek at the Vita-Mix website. The Vita-Mix Blender is quite expensive. Are there deals available that you know of? Maybe through another retailer?

Please keep the recipes coming! ( I tried the Lasagna Casserole recipe that you posted not too long ago. It was really good! And simple!)

• Crystal says:

The Vita-Mix is very expensive, unless you find one at a garage sale or something. You can purchase them refurbished, though, and they occasionally run sales.

Mine was a gift from my dad for Christmas. He knows me well!

• melissa says:

frozen grapes were awsome! i just made this smoothie

handful frozen grapes
    bunch of frozen banana slices
    1 1/2 florida orange slices (these werent frozen, i would have put 2 in but…i ate the other half:) )
    and some skim milk to get it enough for 3 people.

SOOOO YUMMY

• Agnes says:

i love smoothies…i use this recipe plus i freeze coffee and add 4 cubes and spinach 🙂 you don’t taste the spinach but it does turn green 🙂 sometimes i add whip cream as a treat but on occassion. 🙂

• When I was pregnant with the girls I LOVED eating frozen grapes! We add our frozen grapes to our shakes quite often, delicious! Your recipe sounds very similar to what we do. Thanks for sharing!

• Sydni Bamberg says:

I used to be able to buy a frozen fruit mix at Walmart that had grapes in it. The company redid the mix and now it has mango instead of grapes in it. I loved it with the grapes! Strawberries, pineapple, peaches, and grapes–that was the mix. I would add a little vanilla yogurt and white grape peach juice for a delicious smoothie.

• Alice says:

Glad you found that out! I make the best smoothies out of my overripe fruit and frozen ones.
    I figure the cost of my vita mixer was well worth being able to make my own at home!

• One of my favorite fruit-only combinations is frozen pineapple (I freeze them when I can get free w/coupon pineapples) with grape juice and bananas. Yum!

• Pat says:

Have to try this one—my HUSBAND LOVES GRAPES–FROZEN OR NOT.

• Coco Cavendish says:

I freeze yogurt when I find it on sale and we can’t eat it all. It does WONDERFULLY in smoothies!!

• Shelby says:

This sounds great! I love when Aldi has grapes on sale. I started freezing my bananas (why I never thought of doing it before is beyond me!) after reading about your chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie recipe when you were doing P90X. It’s one of my favorites, I have one several times a week. I’ve never owned a Vita-Mix but for Christmas I did receive a Ninja and I don’t know how I ever made it without one! It’s 100 times better than any of my other blenders. I think they run about $49 or so. Maybe a cheaper option for those thinking of upgrading but don’t want the pricetag of a Vita-Mix?

• Casey says:

I have never put grape in before, and it turned out great! Everyone loved it yesterday:-) Thanks Crystal for sharing this receipe!

• Nina says:

Hi Crystal
    Can you recommend where we can buy a Vitamix?
    Thanks so much!