Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins

Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins-A

Guest post from Brigette Shevy

These muffins have been a family favorite for almost 20 years. We got the recipe from a Taste of Home magazine and have been making them ever since! Even though they look fancy, they are simple to make and rely on just a few basic ingredients (those kinds of recipe are the best!). The jam is a fun addition!

Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins

I love serving these for breakfast, brunch, or during one of our traditional “breakfast for dinner” meals. If we ever have any left over, my children love them for snacks, and my husband takes them to work in his lunch. I recommend doubling this recipe!

Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins

Brigette is a full-time wife and mother who is blessed with three amazing bundles of energy (ages 6, 4, and 2). She enjoys music, experimenting in the kitchen, homeschooling her children, finding great deals, long-distance running, and anything chocolate.

Comments

1. Julie says

They sound YUMMY !! Can’t wait to try them. I will use applesauce instead of the veg oil. This will make them healthier and more moist.

2. Kellie says

What kind of flavor jam would work best with the cinnamon flavor? my husband loves strawberry do you think that would work?

I was just trying to think of what to do for a snack for the children this afternoon. I’ve got 4 of my own, plus babysitting 3 more, so I wanted something sure to please and a lot of it! When I saw these I immediately mixed up a batch and they are baking right now! :)

I did some with peach jam, and some with strawberry, I’m sure they’ll be great! Thanks Brigette!

4. TopPic says

In regard to the flour, what is the difference of using all white flour versus a mix of whole wheat and white? I have all the other ingredients except for whole wheat flour and seeing if I really need to buy some. I am not a baker or cook other then I am great at following a recipe.
    So If it is the flavor or texture that would be effected by not using whole wheat, I will be buying whole wheat flour. If it is because it is just a bit healthier, then I intend to just use the white flour. Also, if I subsitute applesauce like someone mentioned below for the vegetable oil, you had said that you sub part of the oil only. How much oil and how much applesause would you use then?
    Thank you !

• Brigette says

Whole wheat is definitely not necessary. I only add some for the health factor. :) As far as adding applesauce, I’ve done half applesauce/half oil and they’ve worked great. It would probably work to do all applesauce, but since I haven’t tried it, I can’t say for sure.

• TopPic says

Thank you Brigette. You are going to turn me into a cook/baker. I tried your oven fried baked chicken and it was excellent. I like simple recipes. Please keep them coming!

By the way, do you have a recipe for: vegetable soup (I love soup), chicken/turkey pot pie, chicken/turkey and dumplings, and any easy recipe for left over turkey (I will have plenty of turkey left over come this Thanksgiving). This will be my first ever Thanksgiving that I will be by myself and I still want to have my turkey. I intend to make a bone in turkey breast but need help in recipes for the leftovers. Thank you!

Oh my goodness these look delicious! My 9 year old daughter and I are bookmarking holiday baking projects to do and these just made the list! Thank you!

These look great Brigette. I’ve tried two other recipes that you posted, chocolate raspberry cheesecake pie and the double chocolate brownies and they were both big hits so I’ll have to try these muffins too.

7. Julie says

They sound good but I am just curious – if you copy something directly from a magazine and publish it yourself is that copyright infringement? Don’t want anyone to get into trouble trying to be helpful.

Recipes aren’t copyrighted, however, if you copy the instructions/directions exactly as they are published somewhere, it is copyright infringement. That’s why we always re-write things here in our own voice — even if we haven’t really changed a recipe much from its original form.

Thanks so much for commenting and for your desire to make sure we’re on the up and up here! I really appreciate it.

8. Amy says

I made these this morning and they were great! I didn’t put jam in because my kids and I don’t really like that sort of thing. They really do taste like a doughnut but are so easy. My kids thought the topping was a little too much cinnamon so I will do a little less next time. I think that I loved them a little more than my kids. I probably could have eaten they whole pan. Not good for me but super yummy.

• Brigette says

I use whatever we have on hand. I’ve used peach, strawberry, grape, raspberry…pretty much every flavor there is. :)

• Colleen says

Denise,

I am going to try to make them gluten free – I was just going to substitute a gluten free flour blend for the flour. Hopefully they will turn out well!

• Britt says

Hi Colleen,

If your GF muffins turn out – will you tell us your flour blend? My family would love to try these too! They look delicious!

9. Jennifer says

These were a hit with the whole family! Thanks for the recipe! We will be making these again!

I tried these tonight. I was going to save them for breakfast in the morning but decided to try one while it was nice and hot. I’ll be honest and say I’m not a huge fan. Maybe I’ll try it without the jelly next time or put chocolate chips or blueberries in the batter instead. I’m usually in love with all your recipes but this one not so much. Sorry.

• Brigette says

You might try them refrigerated overnight or at room temperature. I actually like them better that way. :)

11. Janice says

Tried them this morning. The only thing I would recommend is I used a half recipe for the topping (sugar, cinnamon, and butter) and it worked out just about right. I think a full would have left me with left overs. Thanks for the recipe!