30 Minute Rolls

30 Minute Rolls

Note from Crystal: I asked my sister, Gretchen, to share this recipe as she often posts it in her weekly menu plans and many of you have requested the recipe. It’s a favorite at our house, too!

Recipe from Gretchen

This recipe has been a favorite in our family for many years. We’ve made so many batches of these rolls that I have the recipe memorized. They are so yummy and a hit with everyone who eats them.

My friends are shocked when they learn how easy and FAST they are to whip up. You can use them as dinner rolls or buns depending on the size you shape them.

DSC_0142

My very favorite thing about these rolls (other than the fabulous taste!) is that you can freeze them before cooking and then thaw them out to cook on the day you need them. I pretty much always have a bag of these frozen dough rolls in my freezer because we love them that much. In fact, Crystal asked me to post this recipe because they are so often on my weekly menu posts.

DSC_0153

If you are frequently finding yourself short on time when making meals, this recipe is for you. We love them best when they are still fresh out of the oven, topped with butter and drizzled with honey. Yum!

DSC_0143

Comments

1. Kellie says

I can’t wait to try these! Im shocked 45 rolls!! Thats alot of rolls! lol so happy to hear they are freezer friendly theres so many times I want rolls and know they would take to long to make or dont have time to run to the store. Can’t wait to make these!

• Gretchen says

I’ve used whole wheat flour lots of times. I would recommend doing half wheat/half white though. If you use all whole wheat, the rolls are really dense.

• Gretchen says

I’ve often made it with half wheat/half white flour. The times I have made it with all whole wheat flour, the rolls have been really dense. I hope that helps!

2. Ers says

Can u post the recipe for like 15 rolls or something. I don’t think we can take 45 or frozen stuff will be used. Sorry for the request but it wud be really helpful for me

• Celena says

1 cup + 2 3/4 T warm water (115-120 degrees)
      1/3 cup oil
      2 3/4 T honey
      1 T + 1 tsp instant active yeast
      1 egg
      1 tsp salt
      3 1/2 cups flour

• MSM Team says

The 2 hours to rise is only if you freeze them. The total original prep time for the rolls is only 30 minutes. :)

3. Jenn S says

Made these for dinner tonight. Used 4 cups WW flour and 6.5 cups regular unbleached flour, coconut oil that was warmed just to liquid form, raw honey, and rubbed a little melted butter on top of each roll after baking. Skipped the greased pan and used a Pampered Chef baking stone.

There was a fork duel for the last roll, so these are definately a winner!

• Gretchen says

Yes, you can do that as well. We just prefer the taste of fresh rolls which is why I freeze them before baking. But I have frozen them after baking and then reheated them a few times as well.

4. Michelle says

Could I use egg whites? (I use egg whites in baking alot to cut the calories especially this time of year!!)

• Anne says

Since it makes so many rolls, the difference would be insignificant for calories…only 4 calories less per roll! I use egg whites all the time for scrambled eggs and omelettes.

5. Ann says

That is a HUGE recipe! I don’t know if I have a bowl that would accommodate that :) My go to version is 3 c flour, 1 T sugar, 1 t salt, 1 pkg (2 2/3 tsp) yeast, 1 T oil and 1 c warm water. without the eggs it’s more like French bread than a roll though :)

6. Kari Cooper says

My dough was soooo sticky.. What did I do wrong? Was I suppose to add more flour during the kneading process?

7. Joy says

I got this recipe several years ago from one of Crystal’s ebooks. I made them many times & also taught my son to make them. They are always eaten quickly! I usually freeze leftovers & warm them in the microwave after thawing. But, I like the idea of freezing the unbaked dough to have fresh baked rolls!

Crystal! I had no idea Gretchen was your sister!!

These look delicious and so easy. Yeast breads intimidate the heck out of me, so they have to be super-simple for me to attempt!

• Bobbie says

I have the same problem! I just googled it and found that you can substitute 1 and 1/4 cup sugar with a 1/4 cup water for honey in a recipe. I’m going to try it just trying to do one part water to 5 parts sugar??? We’ll see!

9. Lyndy says

I just made these.

My dough was sticky, but I think it’s because I used the dry measuring cups for the liquid. I added 1/2 cup of flour to compensate and they were still a little sticky. So, dusted my hands when pinching and rolling the dough. I ended up with more than 45 rolls, but that’s ok by me. I’m taking them to a soup kitchen tomorrow. This recipe showed up just in time!

The dough was almost too much for my biggest bowl, but with carefully folding the flour in with the wet ingredients it all worked out.

My son, just ate 2, so they must be good. They smell fabulous too. I will make these again as they were pretty easy – I’m going to debate that 30 min. label though. From start to finish for the first batch to come out of the oven was 1 hour. ;)

These sound absolutely wonderful! Quick question though, when you put them on your baking sheet, do you keep them close so that they will rise & be touching, or do you keep them farther apart? Some recipes bake better one way vs the other so I figured I’d ask. THANK YOU!

11. Lisa says

Wah. Don’t know what I did wrong. Followed the instructions for making 15. I got 17, but I put 6 in the oven and they didn’t rise much, look pale . Cut one and it’s “wet” looking inside. I have them in their for 4-5 more minutes, but I don’t think it’s going to make much difference. :(

• Lisa says

Took them out after additional time…still look sad. Browned more, but they still look nothing like yours :(. Cut them…still “wet” inside. I have had great success with the 5 minute artisan bread which involves no kneading, but wanted to go out of my comfort zone and I wish I knew what I did wrong

12. Karen Hunt says

Crystal (and Gretchen),

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!!!!!

I made these this morning albeit with some modifications since I didn’t have any eggs. For your readers who need an egg-free bread recipe, this is a great one. I substituted Energ-G egg replacer (one for one) with the three eggs called for.

I also noticed that I had to add about 1/2 to 3/4 C of additional flour while kneading the dough before breaking into pieces since the dough was very sticky – not sure if that is related to using the egg replacer. I used a jelly roll pan to fit 20 rolls on one and 10 on another (my three teen boys aren’t in the dainty-sized food portions these days – LOL) and baked for 15 minutes (my oven runs about 10 degrees hotter) due to the larger sized portions.

I got a double AND triple thumbs-up review from all five of my children. Even though the recipe sounds huge, 30 ~3″x 3″ dinner rolls is the right amount for our family of 7.

Thanks for all you do to share information and resources with us. I am blessed by your ministry!

13. Amber says

I made these tonight! So quick and plentiful. I was able to give 2 bowls away and still have enough for my family. Thank you for sharing!

14. Teresa says

What am I doing wrong??? Mine came out so sticky I could not roll them into balls. Do you knead with your hands or with a mixer? So disappointed. :(

15. Michelle says

These were tasty- I made them with 100% whole wheat flour and added 1 tablespoon of wheat gluten for each cup of flour. They were not dense. It took me about 45 minutes to get them mixed and made into balls. I did it all by hand. My balls were smaller than eggs so I got about 60!

16. Kristen says

The recipe calls for instant active yeast….is that the quick rising yeast or regular active yeast?

17. Adrienne Guarro says

I am gluten free. Does this recipe adapt? My flour blend is mostly brown rice with a little bit of potato starch & xanthium gum. Could I replace the regular flour with my blend?