Homemade Breakfast Hot Pockets

Guest Post by the Meal Planning Mommies

These Homemade Breakfast Hot Pockets are a great “Baking Day” project. Take the time to make these on an afternoon or
morning while you will be home. These take a couple of
hours from start to finish to make, but they can be frozen and will provide a hearty
breakfast for your family for a while.

If you do not have time to make
your own dough you can use refrigerated bread dough, but your hot
pockets will not be quite as large. Or, you could also substitute crescent
rolls and make them in to “breakfast in a blanket”.

Dough Ingredients:
9 cups flour
4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
4 1/2 tsp. yeast
1 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup water
1 tsp. salt
2 sticks melted butter

Put 9 cups flour in a large bowl, make a well in the center.

In a separate bowl beat 4 eggs, than add 1/2 cup sugar and 4 1/2 tsp. yeast.

In
another bowl, scald 1 1/2 cups milk in microwave for 3 minutes. Then
add 1 1/2 cups water. Add this mixture to the egg mixture. Stir in 1
tsp. salt. Mix all ingredients well.

Pour this mixture into the well of flour in the large bowl. Do not stir. Put lid on and let sit for 45 minutes.

After 45 minutes, add 2 sticks of melted butter and mix well.

Cover and let sit for 1 hour. Now that your dough is made you are ready to make hot pockets.

Egg Mixture:
12 eggs
2 Tbs. butter
1 roll of breakfast sausage
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 half onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped

While
you are waiting on the dough you can be making the breakfast mixture.
Using butter or margarine, scramble 12 eggs over a skillet. In another
skillet, cook and crumble 1 roll of breakfast sausage.

In
another bowl combine scrambled eggs, sausage, onion, bell pepper, and
cheddar cheese.

To Make the Hot Pockets:

Pull off a round of dough about the size of a baseball and flatten on counter. Place about 1/2 cup of mixture in the middle of the hot pocket (or about 1/4 cup if you are using crescent rolls). Bring opposite sides together and pinch together. Then do the same with the other two sides.

Place onto a greased cookie sheet, or baking stone. Let rise for 30-40 minutes and then bake at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes.

Now,
all your prep work and cooking are done! Once these are baked and
cooled, you can freeze your hot pockets. When you are ready to eat
them, just pop them in the microwave until warm.

This recipe yields 30-36 hot pockets, depending upon how large you make them.

———————————

We’ve found that, in most cases, making something at home is more cost-effective and
healthier for us. It provides the opportunity for learning, teaching,
connection with your children, and the re-use of supplies.

We’ve started asking myself, “What can we make at home instead of buying prepackaged?” Unless we have a coupon making a processed or packaged food almost free, we do not even go
down those aisles in the grocery store. Instead, we are using the grocery store to
purchase staples that we use to make our meals and snacks at home.

By making things from scratch, our families are learning about healthier
alternatives, gaining a greater appreciation for the foods we eat, and saving money at the same time!

Meal Planning Mommies

is a blog dedicated to providing weekly meal plans, recipes (complete
with pictures!) and 3 mommies’ thoughts about cooking in the kitchen.

Comments

This looks like a great recipe, and I plan on trying it this weekend. I am wondering though, how many servings will it make? I didn’t see it listed.
    Thanks!
    Ashley

2. Robyn says

Great idea! If, like me, you watch your carb intake, I use my silicone muffin pan and make individual crustless quiches with all the end pieces of cheese, leftover veggies, bacon, etc. Freeze and portion 2 per baggie, and they are ready to nuke and go in the morning. I do these once every couple weeks, use up all my leftovers, and have high-protein, low-carb brekkie that I can each out of hand like a muffin on the way to drop of the young’un in the morning.

I’m really excited about trying this recipe. I buy these all the time for my husband to take to work to heat and eat because he has to be at work really early in the morning. Thanks for sharing.

4. Tausha says

This looks really yummy! I’ll have to experiment with the other hot pocket flavors too, like ham and cheese.

Oh my gosh, these are making me hungry right now. I think bacon would be real good too. I can almost always get bacon for next to free at the grocery store. These would be fun to try different fillings with. Yummmmmy

6. trisha says

Looks similar to what I have made before…..can use regular bread dough recipe. I make all the “stuffing” in one skillet. Just cook the sausage (with onions/peppers if desired) and then add shredded potatoes (or not) and eggs. Cheese goes on at the very end.

I usually roll my little wads of dough into rectangles, put the stuffing on and roll up kinda like a burrito. Found that it all bakes better this way.

My son and dh really love these—guess I should make some more but my only problem with making homemade “pockets” and granola bars etc is that they disappear FAST, and I mean REAL FAST. At least I know what’s in them.

7. MealPlanningMommy says

Thanks for your interest. For those of you who were asking, this recipe should MAKE 30-36 hot pockets, although you can get more or less, depending on the size of the dough ball you start with. Good luck to you all. Hope yours turn out great and your family thanks you.

Looks delicious! I also would like to know the approximate yield on this recipe, since it uses 9 cups of flour and 12 eggs. I assume it’s more than 4 pockets.

9. Amy says

I make a similar thing for my husband for lunch. I just fill them with whatever meat/cheese leftovers I have in the fridge.

I’ve never tried freezing them before. After seeing this I might have to try it.

10. Rachel says

I often make a similar pocket for dinner. We use a ground beef and sausage mix, broccoli, and cheese. We love them!

11. Coby says

I have not made breakfast ones, but I love to make homemade pizza hot pockets. My recipe is a little different, but same idea. My husband has requested a breakfast version of it, but I just haven’t done it yet! I also make breakfast burritos to freeze.

12. Emily Mitchell says

My husband would LOVE this – like many men, he is an eggs, sausage and cheese kind of guy.
    I am going to have to make some for him as an apres Valentine ‘gift’.
    Thanks Emily

13. Laura says

I’m gonna try these since my girls love the frozen pockets. Is there a “print” link to easily print this out??? Thanks!

14. Charlene says

Crystal,

I am 27 weeks pregnant with #2 and am planning to stuff the freezer like you. Do you have a list of items you plan to prepare? I am going to do muffins, pancakes, breads etc.. but need more help with savory stuff that will last several weeks.

*************************
    Money Saving Mom here: I’m planning to chronicle my freezer cooking in preparation for the baby over on my other blog http://www.MomofLittles.com. I’m hoping to get a move on that in the next week or two–provided I can drum up some more energy and motivation. :)

15. Rae says

Catherine, near the breakfast meats, sausage comes in 1 pound “rolls” or “chubs” in a few different brands like Owens, Jimmy Dean, etc

16. Yvette says

Thank you for sharing it sounds like a wonderful recipe. My family would love these. Does anyone know if you could use whole wheat flour instead?
    ~Yvette

17. SK says

I had the same question about the roll of breakfast sausage. I am thinking it must be bulk sausage (i.e. no casing) somewhere between .5 and 1 lbs. Does that sound right?

Sounds like fun to make! Thanks for the idea.

18. Vicki says

My kids love ham & cheese so I am going to start making these to fill our freeze for Summer!Also,I had never thought to make and freeze my own waffles.Now we have a weekly baking day .My 10yro is in charge of the waffles!He really is enoughing the time with mom!My 3yro is helping with filling the muffin tins with muffins,brownies,and/or cupcakes.And the teen girls are making pancakes and bread.I fix the meat for the week and do the other pre-prep for the weeks meals.It really is wonderful to save hours in the kitchen during the week!!!!Thank You!

Thanks for sharing looks yummy. I have made pocket meals before using cresent rolls as well. Probably not cost effective though, but easy!

I love this idea! I traditionally serve steel cut oats with blueberries (just about every other day) and then a great Martha Stewart Buttermilk Pancakes on those off days and then of course eggs (from the sweet hens in my back yard) – I’m an urban socialite := so…this recipe is a great one to add.

Thanks! Lylah

21. Liz says

@Charlene

I need to get more into freezer cooking, but I always make a double batch of eggplant parmesan (or chicken, if you like meat) and freeze one without baking it. I also had a ton of refried beans that I made into bean burritos that my husband LOVED.

22. Sheridan says

Thank you for sharing this recipe. : )
    Can you use self-rising flour and eliminate the yeast?
    I’m wondering because I have a lot of self-rising flour on hand from sale prices over the holidays.

We’ve done this – but with gluten-free flour instead. Yummy!

One thing that helped was to bake them in mini-bread pans. I have ten of them so I could only cook ten at a time BUT they shape nicely which makes for easy holding AND easy storage.

24. Elizabeth says

Trader Joe’s has a fabulous whole wheat pizza dough that comes in a bag, uncooked. Costs 99 cents. It would be a faster, healthier and cheap alternative to making your own dough.

Wow, I am very excited about this recipe. Getting 4 kids fed a healthy meal in the morning before school is a challenge. These look fantastic! And since we have chickens, we have lots of eggs!

26. Jennefer says

Has anyone tried making pizza ones or meatball ones? I waste a lot of money on the store bought ones. I would love to try these with pizza stuff.

27. Rae says

Ok so I was feeling really lazy and didn’t feel like following a recipe so I combined tips from some of the comments along with the original idea. It came out great and super cheap. I don’t have any breakfast meats right now (except for ham and bacon in the freezer but was too lazy to deal with them) so I didn’t have any meat in them except for the bacon bits in the pantry. I beat up 6 eggs (got on sale for $.50 per dozen), added some shredded cheddar, a few bacon bits, and a half of pepper (on sale $.33 each). I poured them into a silicone muffin pan. Then I took one of those 8ct Grands biscuits (the big can got on sale for $.27) and tore each biscuit into 3 pieces and dropped a piece into each muffin cup and baked them. I had 4 extra biscuits that I cooked regular for eating with preserves. The little breakfast things came out really yummy and cost me under $1 for 12 of them! Thank you to all of you that gave me ideas!

28. Antonella says

Regarding the measurements:
    how much are 2 sticks of butter?
    how much is a roll of sausage?

thanks
    sounds so yummy!

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. My kids will definitely love this. I prefer home cooked and home made meals, especially ingredients made from scratch and whole foods, because I’m scared of all the preservatives, chemicals and whatever additives that’s usually in most of the processed foods. So I buy organic ingredients and make it myself. I’m sure my family will love this.

30. Mealplanningmommy says

16 oz. sausage is usually one roll of sausage, although getting a perfect ratio is really not all that essential with this recipe.

One stick of butter is 1/2 cup butter, so two sticks is 1 cup of butter.

Sorry for any confusion.

Happy cooking to you!

31. tina b says

One question that I haven’t seen on these comments, yet… Do you flatten the dough into rectangles or circles? Sorry, I’m so instructions-driven, that I was confused by the shape… :P

Thanks!

I am making these right now. I pinched them out into base-ball sized balls of dough and they are turning out HUGE! I only got 9 out of it with about 1/3c. of stuffing in each. I’m afraid they’re going to be very “doughy” in the end. We’ll see. At least it’ll be a fast, ready-made breakfast option that isn’t cereal ;) Thanks to the pps for the frozen burrito ideas. Duh! Can’t believe I never thought of that one…

It took me a week, but I finally got up the nerve to make these yesterday. My husband leaves for work early and takes two store-bought Hot Pockets with him every morning to work. I was slightly worried about replacing his regular breakfast, but am trying to wean myself from buying more expensive convenience items like these. He was skeptical last night, but took them with him to work this morning. When he came home at lunch, he said they were great. Yay!! I figured it up and I can make them for 1/2 the cost of buying them already made. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

34. Michelle says

I made these yesterday and it turned out pretty good! I used half whole wheat and half in white whole wheat flour (both by kingarthur) and …quite honestly, y’all would be better off with at least half all-purpose flour and maybe some whole wheat…the dough was quite thick like hearty bread with some eggs inside…I rather taste something more like flaky bread over the egg mixture…did yours taste more like what I hope for?

Thanks for sharing your fabulous recipes…I am making another dish tonight from one of your recipes…