Looking for an amazing and healthful pancake recipe? This is one of our family’s favorite recipes and it’s freezer-friendly, too!
I’m a total pancake aficionado! And when I can find a really healthful recipe that still tastes amazing — it’s a HUGE win in my book!
This Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pancake recipe is a family favorite that we’ve used countless times over the years. It was originally tweaked from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.
If you add chocolate chips to this batter, you don’t even need to use syrup on it. But if you want to make these more amazing, smother them in syrup and lots of butter. And it’s a like a little piece of heaven on a plate!
Whole-Wheat Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar (I used coconut sugar this time because that’s all I had!)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 cups milk, buttermilk or sour milk*
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter (you can also use oil or coconut oil, but we prefer butter)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl. Combine the eggs, milk and melted butter in a separate bowl.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add egg mixture and chocolate chips. Stir until just moistened.
Cook on a greased pancake griddle. Serve immediately or cool and freeze.
To freeze: Lay cooked and cooled pancakes on a baking sheet and stick in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour (until frozen). Remove from pan and place in airtight freezer bags or containers.
To thaw: Take desired number of pancakes out of freezer bags and heat one to two at a time in the microwave for one to two minutes. Or, place on a baking sheet and cook in a 350-degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes until heated through. Serve immediately.
Makes around 10 regular-sized pancakes. I usually double or quadruple the recipe when I make it for the freezer.
*You can buy milk that you find marked down at the store or milk that is almost souring and then just thaw it in the refrigerator or in a sink full of warm water and use it in pancakes to save money.
Other Pancake Recipes We’ve Loved:
- Whole-Wheat Chocolate Pancakes (freezer-friendly)
- Whole-Wheat Blender Pancakes (freezer-friendly)
- Whole-Wheat Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes (freezer-friendly)
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes (freezer-friendly)
- Peanut Butter Protein Pancakes
- Oatmeal Pecan Pancakes
- And here’s a fun pancake idea for preschoolers: Pancake Letters & Numbers
What are YOUR favorite pancake recipes or make ahead breakfast ideas? I’d love to hear!
Subscribe for free email updates from Money Saving Mom® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!