I’m currently challenging myself to stick with a $70 grocery budget for our family of five. This includes almost all of our breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and dinners + most household products (toiletries, laundry soap, etc.).
For live updates, be sure to follow my Instagram Stories. See all posts on my $70 Grocery Budget here.
Note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and we will be compensated if you click through and sign up. Read our disclosure policy here.
We got back from Kansas late, late Sunday night. Well, actually it was early Monday morning because our flights got delayed for a total of 9 hours.
Unlike the last 3 weeks where I was traveling each weekend, this week, we were home all week and didn’t travel this weekend — which was nice! After three weeks of back to back travel, it was nice to have a week at home where we ate dinner at home together and got to just hang out together in the evenings!
Kroger Trip #1:
- 6 Kroger Moose Tracks yogurt — marked down to $0.29 each
- 1 JetPuffed Marshmallows — $1.25, use $1/1 Kroger Digital Coupon = $0.25 after coupons
- 2 Kroger canned Pumpkin — $0.99 each
- 1 King Arthur Flour — $4.19
- 6 packages of Turkey Breast — on closeout for $2 each
- 4 packages of Goldfish crackers — $0.99 each when you purchase 5 participating items
- 1 VeggieChips — $0.99 each when you purchase 5 participating items
- 2 Suave Kids Shampoo — $0.99 each when you purchase 5 participating items, used $1/2 Kroger Digital Coupon = $0.49 each after coupon
- 1 Suave Kids Body Wash — $0.99 each when you purchase 5 participating items, used $0.50/1 Kroger Digital Coupon = $0.49 after coupon
- 4 Suave Professionals Shampoo — $1.99 each when you purchase 5 participating items, used 2 $3/2 Kroger Digital coupon = $0.49 each after coupon
- Colgate Toothpaste — $1.99 each when you purchase 5 participating items, used $2/1 Kroger Digital coupon = free after coupon
- 2 Speedstick deodorant — $0.99 each when you purchase 5 participating items
- Half & Half — $1.99
- 2 cantaloupe — marked down to $0.99 each
- 2 bags of apples — marked down to $0.99 per bag
- 1 bag of plums — marked down to $0.99 per bag
- 1 bag of avocados — marked down to $0.99 per bag
- 3 grapefruit — marked down to $0.99 total
- Used $10/$40 coupon (that Kroger sent me in the mail)
- Total with tax: $36.44
Kroger Shopping Trip #2:
- Dole Chopped Salad — marked down to $1.89
- 2 loaves of bread — marked down to $1.79 each
- Chorizo — used Free Friday coupon
- 5 packages of Oscar Mayer Beef Dogs — $1.99 each with Friday and Saturday Digital Coupon deal
- 5 Red Baron Pizzas — $1.99 each with Friday and Saturday Digital Coupon deal
- Wasabi Sauce — on closeout for $1.24
- Surimi — marked down to $1.99
- 1 bag of apples — marked down to $0.99
- 1 bag of Anjou Pears — $1.99, used $0.50/1 Kroger Digital coupon = $1.49
- Total with tax: $33.02
A friend of mine — who is a sourdough expert — gave me some sourdough starter and I’m having fun learning how to feed it an use it.
I was happy with how the sourdough pancakes turned out, but the sourdough bread didn’t quite turn out how I had envisioned it — though it wasn’t terrible. I’m excited to keep experimenting!
I was excited to earn extra points from Fetch Rewards this week for buying Oscar Mayer, Suave, and Pepperidge Farm. Have you signed up for Fetch Rewards yet? If not, I highly recommend it. It’s such an easy way to earn cashback every week just for scanning your grocery receipts! Read more on how to sign up here.
What I Spent This Week
Total spent: $69.46
Cashback Earned This Week: 258 points + 149 points from Fetch Rewards for scanning my receipts + $0.10 for scanning my receipt on iBotta
Note: When you see the meals below, please remember this: I buy ahead often. Which means that when I find a great deal on something I know we’ll use, I buy as much as I can afford in our budget to have on hand.
This means that you aren’t going to see all of the groceries my shopping trip that I used to make all of the meals we ate. And it also means we didn’t use all of these groceries up this week — because some of them will be saved for later weeks!
Please also remember that I’m putting this out there and it’s not a perfectly balanced menu. This is just really what we ate — and I hope that it encourages you to see the real-ness and lack of perfection here. ?
What We Ate This Week
- Cereal, Oatmeal, Scrambled Eggs, Baked Oatmeal (from the freezer), Yogurt, English Muffins (from the freezer)
- Hard Boiled Eggs, Best Bran Muffins, Avocados, Salad, Grapefruit, Apples, Sourdough Bread (for Jesse and me)
- Turkey Sandwiches, Fruit, Veggies, Yogurt, Cookies, Hard Boiled Eggs (For the kids — They are in charge of their own lunches.)
- Best Bran Muffins, Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, Sourdough Bread, Yogurt, Fruit/Veggies, Goldfish, VeggieChips, Cookies, Hard Boiled Eggs, Turmeric Milk
- Saturday: Dinner with Jesse’s family (we were in KS for my sister’s wedding)
- Sunday: Dinner at the airport (our flight was delayed by 9 hours, so we ended up having to buy food at the airport)
- Monday: Turkey Meatballs from the freezer, mashed potatoes, fruit
- Tuesday: Sourdough Pancakes, eggs, fruit, yogurt
- Wednesday: Turkey, Rice, Cantaloupe
- Thursday: Sausage/Peppers/Onions in the Crockpot, cantaloupe, homemade Sourdough Bread
- Friday: Dinner Out
Stephanie Rovira says
Hi! I totally stick with a small budget (about $65) for 4 people weekly. However toiletries and paper products take me over my budget. Do you run a separate budget for these items?
Crystal Paine says
We include most all toiletries and hygiene product as part of our $70 budget.
How do you freeze the oatmeal? Need to try this ! I get so caught up meal planning I forget how simple dinners can be. Thanks for this post!
Also iBotta has a $1 rebate on that Simply Surimi!
Crystal Paine says
Oh! Thank you so much for that tip!!!
Have you found a particular day and time to be the best for scoring markdowns in meat and produce at Kroger? Or is it just random?
Crystal Paine says
I think it really depends upon your store… I’d suggest asking your produce manager and meat manager when they do markdowns. I also wrote some tips here: https://moneysavingmom.com/2018/05/find-great-markdowns-kroger.html
Danielle Ogilve says
$69.46 for the entire family? I’m so impressed!
Karen Large says
Hi Crystal! I have followed you for years. I have just stated watching your videos and i have always enjoyed your posts. I thinking of something you might want to mention to your viewers…I went to Kroger today to get the five packages of Oscar Meyer beef hotdogs. They were sold out and i even talked to a girl in the meat department. There are not rain checks for the Friday/Saturday items. Once they are sold out they are sold out. I thought you may want to mention this and let people know. Thanks
Crystal Paine says
I’m so sorry that happened for you… I’ve mentioned it a few different times, but I know it can be easy to miss all my posts!