I’m currently challenging myself to stick with a $70 grocery budget for our family of five. This includes almost all of our breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and dinners + most household products (toiletries, laundry soap, etc.).
Note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and we will be compensated if you click through and sign up. Read our disclosure policy here.
I ran into Kroger this morning with Kathrynne in between dropping Silas and Kaitlynn off at school and needing to drop her off at school. This is becoming part of our morning routine and we’ve been loving it! We set the timer and then go on a sort of “treasure hunt” to see what markdowns we can find in less than 10 minutes!
Kroger Shopping Trip #1
- Simple Truth Eggs — marked down to $2.29 per dozen (Have you tried these pasture raised ones before? We haven’t! Are they new? I don’t remember seeing them in-store before!)
- 2 packages of Turkey Wings — marked down to $1.41 & $1.43 each
- 1 tub of organic salad greens — marked down to $1.49
- 1 Gallon of distilled water — $0.89 (for my sinus rinse)
- Total with tax: $10.41
After we dropped Kathrynne off at school, we swung by a second Kroger that is right on our way home. I didn’t find much there, but I was excited about the avocados and we stocked up on more Capri-Sun (shh! Don’t tell my kids! I’m hiding this in the garage freezer until
Kroger Shopping Trip #2
- 5 boxes of Capri-Sun — $1.29 per box when you buy 5 participating items
- 1 bag of avocados — marked down to $0.99
- 1 bag of peppers — marked down to $0.99
- Total with tax: $8.96
This Week’s Menu Plan
We’re headed to Breckenridge, CO with all of my extended family (my dad’s Christmas present to all of us this year was paying for our trip there) to spend Saturday, Sunday, and Monday staying together at this huge and beautiful house there (follow me on Instagram Stories if you’d like to see some videos/photos of our trip!), so I’m only planning meals for Monday through Friday of this week.
(We’re doing meals in Breckenridge similar to how we did meals when we were at Bull Shoals Lake with all of my extended family — with everyone bringing some food and helping with the cooking.)
- Cereal, Oatmeal, Toast/Eggs (Everyone is on their own for breakfast!)
- Fried Eggs, Avocados, Salad, Whole-Wheat Toast, Leftovers, Apples (Jesse & Me)
- Sandwiches, Cheese/Crackers, Fruit, Veggies, Granola Bars, Cookies, Capri Sun (For the kids — They are in charge of their own lunches.)
- Turkey Wings, Corn on the Cob, Cantaloupe
- Waffles, Bacon, Homemade Applesauce
- BBQ Chicken, Homemade Mac & Cheese, Roasted Broccoli
- Sausage/Peppers/Onions in the Crock-Pot, Brown Rice, Fruit
- Dinner Out
What I’ve Spent So Far This Week
Total I’ve Spend So Far This Week: $19.37
Total Left to Spend: $50.63