I’m currently challenging myself to stick with a $70 grocery budget for our family of five. This includes almost all of our breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and dinners + most household products (toiletries, laundry soap, etc.).
For live updates, be sure to follow my Instagram Stories. See all posts on my $70 Grocery Budget here.
Note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and we will be compensated if you click through and sign up. Read our disclosure policy here.
I ran into Kroger this morning with Kathrynne in between dropping Silas and Kaitlynn off at school and needing to drop her off at school. This is becoming part of our morning routine and we’ve been loving it! We set the timer and then go on a sort of “treasure hunt” to see what markdowns we can find in less than 10 minutes!
Kroger Shopping Trip #1
- Simple Truth Eggs — marked down to $2.29 per dozen (Have you tried these pasture raised ones before? We haven’t! Are they new? I don’t remember seeing them in-store before!)
- 2 packages of Turkey Wings — marked down to $1.41 & $1.43 each
- 1 tub of organic salad greens — marked down to $1.49
- 1 Gallon of distilled water — $0.89 (for my sinus rinse)
- Total with tax: $10.41
After we dropped Kathrynne off at school, we swung by a second Kroger that is right on our way home. I didn’t find much there, but I was excited about the avocados and we stocked up on more Capri-Sun (shh! Don’t tell my kids! I’m hiding this in the garage freezer until
Kroger Shopping Trip #2
- 5 boxes of Capri-Sun — $1.29 per box when you buy 5 participating items
- 1 bag of avocados — marked down to $0.99
- 1 bag of peppers — marked down to $0.99
- Total with tax: $8.96
This Week’s Menu Plan
We’re headed to Breckenridge, CO with all of my extended family (my dad’s Christmas present to all of us this year was paying for our trip there) to spend Saturday, Sunday, and Monday staying together at this huge and beautiful house there (follow me on Instagram Stories if you’d like to see some videos/photos of our trip!), so I’m only planning meals for Monday through Friday of this week.
(We’re doing meals in Breckenridge similar to how we did meals when we were at Bull Shoals Lake with all of my extended family — with everyone bringing some food and helping with the cooking.)
- Cereal, Oatmeal, Toast/Eggs (Everyone is on their own for breakfast!)
- Fried Eggs, Avocados, Salad, Whole-Wheat Toast, Leftovers, Apples (Jesse & Me)
- Sandwiches, Cheese/Crackers, Fruit, Veggies, Granola Bars, Cookies, Capri Sun (For the kids — They are in charge of their own lunches.)
- Turkey Wings, Corn on the Cob, Cantaloupe
- Waffles, Bacon, Homemade Applesauce
- BBQ Chicken, Homemade Mac & Cheese, Roasted Broccoli
- Sausage/Peppers/Onions in the Crock-Pot, Brown Rice, Fruit
- Dinner Out
What I’ve Spent So Far This Week
Total I’ve Spend So Far This Week: $19.37
Total Left to Spend: $50.63
Cashback Earned This Week: 215 from Fetch Rewards for buying Capri Sun + $0.25 back from Ibotta
We go twice a year for a week plus a few day trips. I’ll come back tomorrow with our list of things to do. 🙂
Hope you all have loads of fun! My family of 5 took a road trip this summer and made a 2 night stop in Breckenridge, Co. It was absolutely and the weather was great.
Love the breakfast for dinner idea! I should try that.
Have fun in “Breck” – it’s a quaint and scenic little town! Take a picture of the mountains, you’ll have a stunning view!
Crystal Paine says
We went there a few years ago for the first time and it was so beautiful! We’re going in the off season — which means it’s much less expensive — but I think it will still be really beautiful!
I’ve only been during summer when we visit our Colorado family. I imagine it’s gorgeous – but very pricey – during ski season.
My goodness, you’ve been traveling a lot lately! At least you’ll have toilets on this trip! ?
Crystal Paine says
I have a few weeks off after this trip… and then lots more traveling! But I’ve been pacing myself in a way that it is enjoyable. Jesse and I decided that travel is something that we want to make a priority for this season of life — especially with the age of our kids and the fact that we can work from anywhere with good wifi!
I grew up in Breckenridge and our family will be there this weekend as well! Hope you have a great visit!
Crystal Paine says
Thanks so much! We’re excited!