A testimony from Reelika
Having a baby is always a miracle and a real blessing for entire family. But with all this excitement, huge lists of medical and delivery expenses come, as well.
I was in a hospital already three days before my son was born. I always knew I wanted to have a private family room and not to share the room with three other women and their babies — yes, this is how it is here in Northern Europe. The shared room is covered by health insurance, but the private one is not.
I never knew I’d have to stay in a hospital that long. But due to an emergency c-section it totaled up to a week and the cost of a room was calculated based on the number of days I stayed there.
The total cost of staying one week in a delivery room was almost my full monthly salary. But I paid it fully in cash!
Here is how I did it:
- I set my mindset earlier that a new life should not start with a debt.
- I did my homework and found out the potential expenses of a delivery room. I estimated the stay in a hospital up to five days.
- Once I found out about my pregnancy, I created myself a weekly savings plan for the delivery room.
- I learned to say “no” to many invitations that would have cost me too much money.
- I prioritized and focused on things that matter the most.
- I opened another savings account specifically for the baby and delivery costs. I had a portion of my money automatically transferred from the checking account to the savings each time I got paid.
- I took advantage of reading many educational books about finances and business as I also majored in.
- I made some extra income with freelance consulting.
- I decided to increase my emergency fund. I also went through my closets and sold any clothes I didn’t need anymore.
- I got used to the new lifestyle of living below my means.
Although I had saved a lot, the delivery room still cost more than I estimated. But since I stayed in a hospital longer due to the emergency c-section, I treated the situation as an emergency as well.
I decided to pull 15% of the delivery costs from my emergency fund and pay the remaining 85% with my savings. Just like that, my delivery and one-week stay at the hospital were paid off with cash!
Reelika is a working mom, entrepreneur, Christian, philanthropist at heart, financial management lover, travel enthusiast, and baking fanatic. She blogs at Financially Wise On Heels about personal finance and entrepreneurship.
Have you saved up and paid cash for something — large or small? Submit your story for possible publication here.