Looking for a yummy and easy slow cooker soup recipe? This Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup Recipe is one you should definitely try!
I cooked dinner for the first time in six weeks on Monday! And it felt SO good to be back in the kitchen after weeks of not being able to stand doing any food prep because of morning, noon, and night sickness.
Since the weather has cooled down here, I thought an easy soup recipe would be perfect.
And boy oh boy did this one hit the spot!
You will love this Crock Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup
This recipe is so simple to make and it’s a fun twist on traditional chicken noodle soup.
Plus, it can be made ahead in the crock pot!
My only regret is not making a double batch as we ate it all in about 15 minutes!
Chicken Tortellini Soup Crock Pot ingredients
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used three frozen breasts)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 18 oz. refrigerated cheese tortellini
Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe substitutions
There are many ways you can make this recipe your own — based on your family’s taste preferences, in-season veggies, or simply what foods you already have in the house.
Here are a few easy substitutions:
- Use turkey in place of chicken
- Add in a diced onion and some garlic for a little extra flavor
- Swap out the seasonings based on your taste preferences (try a few bay leaves!)
- Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth
- Add in peas, corn, diced tomatoes, or any of your other favorite veggies
- Try ground sausage and beef broth instead of chicken and chicken broth
- Use different noodles (egg noodles or mini cheese ravioli work well)
- Stir in a 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
This recipe is very versatile, so feel free to play around with it!
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup
1. Place chicken, carrots, and celery in a slow cooker.
2. Pour chicken broth over meat and veggies and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
3. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
4. Take chicken out and shred/chop.
5. Add chicken back in to slow cooker along with tortellini.
6. Cook until the tortellini is tender (about 30 minutes longer) adding a bit more water or broth if the soup gets too thick.
How to serve Crock Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup
We keep it simple at our house — serving it up in a bowl with some bread or crackers.
You could also pair it with a salad and go a little fancier with these delicious breadsticks.
How to store Crockpot Chicken Tortellini Soup
If you have any left (and that’s a big “if”) simply store it in an air-tight food storage container in the refrigerator… or freeze it for later.
You could also portion it out into individual servings to take to work later in the week (it reheats really well!)
How long does chicken tortellini soup last in the fridge?
This soup should last for 5-7 days in the fridge. You can also freeze it for longer storage.
Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe FAQs
The key is to not overcook the tortellini. We recommend adding the tortellini for just 30 minutes at the end of your cooking time and then serving immediately. However, tortellini actually tastes really great even when it’s a bit over-cooked so you don’t need to stress too much about the exact timing!
We recommend around 30 minutes in a slow cooker or roughly 7 minutes in boiling water. However, the best test is to taste one tortellini noodle to make sure it’s done before serving the soup.
This depends on the type of tortellini you buy. We prefer cheese-filled tortellini, but you can also buy mushroom-filled, or sausage-filled.
Tortellini noodles are smaller than ravioli and easier to eat in one bite. They also fit on a spoon much better than ravioli, which is why they are perfect for soup recipes!
More Yummy Soup Recipes You’ll Love
Crockpot Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts I used 3 frozen breasts
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 18 oz. cheese tortellini
- Place chicken, carrots, and celery in a slow cooker.
- Pour chicken broth over meat and veggies and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Take chicken out and shred/chop.
- Add chicken back in to slow cooker along with tortellini.
- Cook until the tortellini is tender (about 30 minutes longer) adding a bit more water or broth if the soup gets too thick.
What is your favorite soup recipe? I’d love to hear!
Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy
We love comments from readers, so chime in with your thoughts below! We do our best to keep this blog upbeat and encouraging, so please keep your comments cordial and kind. Read more information on our comment policy.