Mamas, sisters, ladies… actually, all y’all: you need to make time to take care of YOU.
I know that there are a hundred other things pulling you in three dozen other directions. But you’re not going to be able to show up well for your life if you don’t show up to take care of you.
Taking care of you will look different for different people in different seasons. And it’s looked vastly different for me in my different seasons of life.
But I thought it might be fun (and hopefully helpful) for me to share 10 ways I’m taking care of me right now (remember, that I’m in a season of life where my kids sleep through the night and are very independent and now they mostly just need me to have long conversations with them and take them places!):
- Making 7+ hours of sleep a priority. And taking a nap on the days when I get less than that amount.
- Drinking a gallon of lemon water every day. Yes, for real. Here’s how I do it.
- Starting my day with exercise, prayer, and Bible reading. (Most days, I combine the three. I read my Bible while I do my walking warm up on the treadmill and, while I run, I pray over every aspect of my day, spend time thanking God for blessings, and pray for Jesse and the kids in earnest. I love starting my day in this way of filling myself up with Jesus, getting in a good workout, and praying over my day! I always feel so refreshed and ready for the day once I’m done!)
- Scheduling time for fun and down time everyday.
- Making sure I spend at least a few hours hanging out with a friend once or twice a week.
- Eating a big salad every day.
- Drinking decaf/herbal tea instead of coffee.
- Guarding my schedule so that I have time to be alone and recharge through quiet.
- Having a few truth tellers in my life who regularly check-in with me to make sure I’m not overloading my plate (something I am prone to do) and am taking care of my soul and health and marriage and priorities.
- Paying for help — with the business and with our home. This allows me to work full-time and run a successful business, while also freeing up the time to have space to nurture myself, my family, relationships, and other areas I’m passionate about.
Most importantly, I’m learning to give myself a lot of grace. To not be too hard on myself when I fail, when I disappoint someone, or when we have rough patches. Nobody does it perfectly and nobody has it all figured out!
How are YOU taking care of you in the season of life you’re in? I’d love to hear!