Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownies

Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownies

Guest post from Brigette Shevy

These are *the* brownies Crystal and I grew up on. Our family first discovered this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine, and it instantly became a favorite. I can’t tell you how many times we’ve made these addictive, chocolately gems over the years – definitely more than I can count! My mom often served them with ice cream when we had company over, and they were always a hit with adults and children alike (because who doesn’t like homemade brownies?!).

Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownies

They magically bake up with a crinkly chewy crust, and rich fudgy insides, which is exactly the way I like my brownies. And in all the times I’ve made them, I can’t remember them ever not turning out.

These are a must for every serious chocolate lover!

Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownies

Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownies

Brigette is a full-time wife and mother who is blessed with three amazing bundles of energy (ages 6, 4, and 2). She enjoys music, experimenting in the kitchen, homeschooling her children, finding great deals, long-distance running, and anything chocolate.

Comments

Yum! I love brownies and will easily pick them over cake or cookies any day. I *might* make these for my family…myself…. I mean my family. lol…:) Thanks for sharing Brigette! Hope you have a great weekend!

I looked up the original for the carb count for my son – that’s the cool thing about Type 1 Diabetes: they can have all sorts of fun stuff too!

I am so making these for a Sunday lunch play date for him and a friend! Thanks Brigette!

3. Susan says

You asked “who doesn’t like homemade brownies?” The answer is my 13-yo daughter. The girls does not like and will not eat chocolate. I, on the other hand, can easily eat an entire pan of brownies. Which is why I rarely ever make them.

But they sure do look good! I’m keeping the recipe for when we have company. Or maybe I’ll bake some, eat like two, and bring the rest to work where they’ll quickly disappear.

Thanks Bridgette.

4. elvira says

Can any type of chocolate chips be used? What is the best type to use, semi-sweet, milk, or dark?

• Brigette says

I haven’t ever used dark chocolate chips (I am the only dark chocolate fan in my family), but I’m sure they would be amazing – if you like dark chocolate! I have used both semi and milk, and they both are great (my husband prefers milk, I prefer the semi-sweet). The “best” kind to use will depend on your personal taste preference!

5. Lynn says

*(Note: If you prefer your brownies not quite as sweet, you can always scale back on the amount of chocolate chips.) -HAHA!! ;)

• Brigette says

Yeah, I know – how could brownies possibly be TOO sweet? ;) But apparently not everyone in the world agrees with me, so I just thought I would add that disclaimer!

6. Sarah says

We tried these this afternoon. I did find that they were done after just 20 minutes, and would have been best after just 18 minutes, so I’d say to keep an eye on them. Also, my family usually makes a salted fudge brownie recipe, and we found these to be rather bland in comparison. These actually reminded me of a boxed brownie mix. Thanks for sharing though, it’s always nice to try something new!

• Tanya says

Thank you for this! My family loves boxed brownies but I have been trying to find a recipe to make them from scratch. Most of the recipes I have found are more cake like. Can’t wait to try these!

Oooh–my homemade brownie recipe uses SIX eggs, so I hardly ever make it (too expensive.) This looks yummy and much more reasonable–thanks so much!! :)

8. Angela M says

I made these tonight. They are amazing!!!! I don’t think you could ever get this much chocolate out of the box! Thanks so much, this was the first time I ever made brownies from scratch. I think my hubby would have eaten the whole pan if I let him :)

• Brigette says

Way to go making brownies from scratch for the first time! Thrilled they turned out amazing for you. :)

• Brigette says

I haven’t ever tried that, so I don’t know. I DO they that they freeze beautifully after you cook them – I do that all the time, and they stay nice and moist!

9. Becky says

We made these tonight! I used about one cup of chocolate chips in the batter. Once they came out of the oven, while they were still piping hot, I dumped some chocolate chips on top & waited for them to soften. I then spread them like frosting all over the top. This was my first brownie mix from scratch! They were so good! My family gave them a thumbs up! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! :)

10. Jisoo Rho says

Ok, so let me start by saying that I LOVE the fact this does not require a mixer of any sort. I’m a college student! I just want to bake brownies on a friday and not have to spend a fortune on a mixer when making baked goods from scratch! So that’s a plus. I also didn’t have chocolate chips, so i used some discounted halloween chocolates I bought at the drugstore. woohoo! After Halloween, I went all out and bought m&ms (PB, white chocolate, and milk chocolate!), snickers, resees pieces! This recipe was super easy and I’m so excited to share them tomorrow at work!! After reading a previous post, I decided to check up on the brownies at 20 minutes because i know my oven tends to be on the hotter side. Took them out at 20 and they look great! I just have to wait for it to cool. The hardest part… I am actually going to be patient this time…(every other time I make something off of pinterest, I never wait and eat it piping hot. lol!) Thanks for the recipe! This is definitely one of the easiest ones that i’ve made so far! (Though I haven’t made too many!)

• Brigette says

I can SO relate to your comment about being a college student with no mixer. :) Been there, done that (and made a TON of chocolate chip cookies by hand during grad school – it IS possible…just tedious!). That’s really weird about them only taking 20 minutes, because there is NO way mine would be done in that amount of time – but, I’m glad you thought to check them. :) Thanks for taking time to leave a comment!