Best Ever Chocolate Oatmeal No-Bake Bars {Clean-Eating}

So, I saw this recipe on Pinterest and immediately knew I wanted to try it. But I took awhile to get around to it.

However, the other day, my friend Angie asked me if I’d tried it yet. When I told her that I hadn’t, she told me that I must, must try it as soon as possible.

I’ve never known Angie to steer me wrong, so I made it a priority. And I’m so very glad I did.

Folks, these bars are the bomb. What’s even more amazing is that they are packed with nutritional goodness.

There’s only one problem: it’s near impossible to eat just one. So if you’re trying to watch your calories, you might just skip over this post.

But for the rest of you, please do yourself favor and run to your kitchen and make these. You can thank me later. :)

Money-saving tip: I’d recommend checking the prices on Vitacost & Amazon for the ingredients in this recipe to see if they are less expensive online than you can find locally. You can get $10 off your first $30 order from Vitacost when you sign up here. Or, you can earn free Amazon gift cards from Swagbucks to use toward purchases like this.

If you like this recipe, check out a few of my other healthful dessert recipes:

Quick and Easy Honey-Sweetened Truffles
Easy Honey-Sweetened Energy BarsHomemade Protein BarsGood-For-You Peanut Butter Freezer Fudge

Comments

I love, LOVE that these are gluten free! They look like a cross between two of my favorite recipes and I cannot wait to try them! (My favorites are the traditional no bake cookies & homemade almond joys) :)

• Joanie says

Most regular oats are contaminated with gluten. Make sure to use gluten free oatmeal if you want these to be gluten free bars. :-)

• Ac says

I’m gluten intolerant and have never had issues with traditional oats but I know most celiacs avoid them and understandably so.

The GF oats are so much more expensive!

On that same note….
            Peanut butter gives me terrible stomach aches, so I would use almond butter. Where can I find almond butter that isn’t too expensive? I love it so much, but have to treat what I buy like gold. Could hardly spare a cup. ;)

• Jenn says

I’m not sure what the price was, but I noticed the other day that Costco carries almond butter. It might be worth checking out.

2. Lyndsay Withey says

These look so good but I am always worried about things with Coconut in them. I am allergic and so I have to be careful. Does it take away from the awesomeness if I don’t use coconut?

I think you could totally add in more oats or ground flax seed or wheat germ (or something like that) instead of the coconut. And then just use butter instead of the coconut oil.

• K D says

Are you allergic to coconut or maybe just the sulfiting agents (usually sodium metsbisufite) that they use to preserve it)? If it is a sulfite issue you can buy sulfite free coconut at a health food store or the Bob’s Red Mill coconut sold on Amazon.

3. Clarissa says

This sounds good!
    I have read a lot of recipes that call for peanut butter and I just go to the next recipe that I can make, because my daughter is allergic to peanuts and the doc said to just avoid nuts in general. (We can have sunflower butter.) Is there a substitute for the peanut butter that is also nutritious, but doesn’t cause allergic reactions?

• Tracy says

Barney Butter (you can find it online) is made from almonds in a peanut free facility, so it’s safe for people with peanut allergies. And it subs in great in recipes like this. And if you don’t mind soy, you can also use Wow Butter made from soy. My son is highly peanut allergic and I use both of these as substitutes for peanut butter when cooking or baking and they will both sub in directly with no change to a recipe.

• CM says

AGREED! I have used Barney butter and WOWbutter as a substitute and have had excellent results… I LOVE the Barney butter as it is the closest to commercial peanut butter that I have found, I have some friends that really miss that so I’ve tried to get as close to their memories as possible LOL! I eat it often just because it is so darn good, PLUS it comes in crunchy which is added flavor and texture.

• Em says

We use sunnut butter for my son who is highly allergic to peanuts and other nuts.
      I use it make no bake granola bites and scotcheroos with it all the time.

4. joanna n. says

oh, perfect! i was just looking at a recipe similar to this, but they specified to use quick oats; i assumed b/c they’re no bake that they’d be too chewy w/ old fashioned. well, i’m def. try your recipe! mmm! yummy & healthy (if you’re not watching calories! ;)

You need some sweetener in it. You can’t taste the honey, though. But maybe you could sub maple syrup or corn syrup?

• Jessica says

I substituted organic brown rice syrup. It’s thick like honey but no honey taste… just sweet. :)

5. Amanda says

These are about 240 calories a piece. I used an on line calculator, that being said, I can’t wait to try them. They’ll be good when we head out hiking and to the beach.

I was kind of hoping no one would calculate the calories because I didn’t really know that I wanted to know. ;) Now I’m curious, though, how many did you divide the recipe by?

• Amanda says

Oops – I thought of that after I hit enter. I assumed a 9X13 pan – divided into 24 bars. This recipe has a lot of fat in the peanut butter and coconut oil, so I will probably decrease the oil and the honey a bit too. Surprisingly, coconut oil was higher in calorie count than butter, but butter does have water in it. Commercially prepared peanut butter has a lot of sugar.

Thanks for letting us know! I consider all-natural peanut butter and coconut oil (in moderation) to be good fats. Though I know some people disagree with me on that. :)

6. Heather says

I am doing a month of no refined sugar and these have saved me and my sweet tooth many times. I use unsweetened coconut and substitute 1/4 cup cocoa for the choc. chips. I mix the cocoa in right after you take the liquid mixture off the burner. They are so good that my kids end up eating way more of them than I do.

• Mary Ann says

I can’t have chocolate so maybe I will try with carob powder. Thanks for the idea!

• Kathy says

Thank you for this! I was thinking that these really aren’t ‘clean’ if they have regular chocolate chips in them. The cocoa powder helps with that a little :) I was trying to figure out how much to add in and when!

Does anyone have any similar recipes that don’t call for peanut butter? I really don’t like peanut butter all that much but all of these bars always call for it :(

I’m also lactose intolerant and allergic to soy :(

• CM says

almond butter is getting to be very reasonably priced… if you shop at Costco it’s even more affordable. You can buy a large jar in Canada for less than $7 so it is likely to be cheaper elsewhere. In a pinch you could buy your own almonds and roast them and grind them in a food processor until you had homemade almond butter, the texture might be a little looser, but will taste just as fantastic and maybe even a little less sweet!

• Matti says

Try soaking a mixture of dates and raisins in some very hot water for about 15 min. before you want to use them, then placing them in a blender or food processor and blending them until smooth, with a little of the soaking water as needed, until you meet the desired consistency. You could add nuts to this mixture and blend. Such as cashews, walnuts, sunflower seeds for extra protein/creaminess. I’ve used this mixture many times to make similar bars that my kids adore. They call them “coo-coo” balls b/c they were too little to say cookie, which is what they thought these were!
      If you go this route, you can safely cut back or eliminate the honey as well b/c of the natural sugars in the fruit!

• Kaely says

Sunbutter is only about $4 at Trader Joes and subs excellently in these types of recipes. My son is highly allergic to peanuts and tree nuts and we use Sunbutter in place of all things peanut-butter :)

Omg I made this tonight for dinner, the kids loved it and ate everything … so delicious. thanks for the recipe.

We must visit the same Pintrest pages. I have been tinkering with this recipe for a few weeks. My suggestion is to add a tablespoon of Chia seeds to make it last outside the frig a bit longer. This week’s high humidity have made the bars a pile of goo outside the frig for more than 15 minutes.

Your mixture should have burned that easily because coconut oil has high flash point.

Also, you only need a cup of the chocolate chips, any more it does not really effect/enhance the taste. A pinch of salt helps to bring out the flavor more.

These sound yummy and look reasonably easy to make so I’ll be in the kitchen with my daughter this weekend giving them a try.

11. Sara K. says

I have been making these bars for several months and absolutely adore them! I like to have them around when I need a quick breakfast or snack. With the peanut butter and the oats they definitely keep me full :)

12. Sheila says

How are you defining clean eating? I ask because there seem to be several definitions, and the ones I am familiar with don’t include chocolate chips. And given that I’m not ever giving up chocolate, I can’t ever seem myself ‘eating clean’ as I have been understanding it, so I’ve kind of dismissed the whole idea. But something like this I could live with. :) By this I mean, I feel I can make some changes for health, but I don’t think I can give up chocolate forever, although I do understand that this is occasional treat type stuff. So having said all that, I would love for you to talk about how you define clean eating or point me to it if you’ve already said it and I just missed it. Thanks!

There are differing definitions, but many people would consider chocolate chips from brands like Enjoy Life to be completely “clean”. Cocoa is not off limits in most clean-eating diet plans I’ve seen… just chocolate that has added chemicals. :)

13. Amanda says

These are a variation on classic no-bake cookies. I’ve made those with butter or coconut oil,old fashioned oats, quick oats, cornflakes, coconut or none, half the sugar the recipe called for (came out a bit softer), nutella instead of peanut butter, and all variations were delicious. Some recipes use no nut butter, almost all use cocoa instead of chips. Basically, if this recipe doesn’t work for your needs, get thee to google and find similar.

• Rose says

I love these! I also throw in chi seed, flax seed or flax meal with 1 cup of chocolate protein powder. might have to add a little more honey though or it might be crumbly!

14. Emily says

Just got on here for my daily read… and these looked so yummy (and exactly the kind of thing I was craving at the moment! lol), I had to stop and make them before even reading the next post! Can’t wait to try them! :)

• Emily says

ok, so I tried them, and they were delicious…. but just a note, I used chocolate chips instead of the dark chocolate b/c I didn’t have any, and they were too sweet- so next time I would decrease the honey. Other than that, they were great!

Thanks so much for mentioning that. I think the dark chocolate taste versus semi-sweet chocolate or milk chocolate could definitely make a difference.

15. Rachel says

Do you think I could use stevia instead of honey? I’m trying to watch my sugar.

16. Disneylanders says

This looked so good! I hopped into my kitchen and had my daughter help me. It took me less than 15 min. for everything including clean up ! Can’t wait to devour these treats after dinner!

First, can you tell me, what is coconut oil? Does it taste like coconut? Can I use regular oil? And second, is there something I can trade for the shredded coconut, or can I leave this out? My family hates coconut! Thanks so much!!

Karen

You can use butter in place of coconut oil. Don’t use regular oil since it won’t harden up. And you can use extra oats or even something like wheat germ or flax seed in place of the shredded coconut.

These looks a lot like the cranberry chocolate energy bites. Those, I leave out coconut because I think the flakes are gross (its about texture) and I spread them into a pan and cut into bars/pieces. So nice having something quick and chocolatey I can grab a small bit of during the day.

19. Mandi says

Made these today and they were a big hit. I liked them better than any other no bake cookie I’ve made (and we do like those.) I tried it with cranberries and will probably leave them out next time. Might try sunflower seeds or even crisy rice. Thanks for sharing!

20. Jessica says

Thanks so much for sharing! I made these last night & they are wonderful! My husband complained that he couldn’t stop eating them. :) I substituted organic brown rice syrup for the honey & used dairy free chocolate instead of chocolate chips. Hooray for a dairy free dessert!

21. Rachelle says

Does anyone have suggestions on what to substitute for peanut butter, when school time rolls around? So that it will still taste great? would sunflower butter work with this you think or something else? Thanks. Can’t wait to try it, I adore dark chocolate

22. carol says

I just finished making this recipe (minus the coconut)…..Oh they are sooooo delicious!!

23. Aimee R. says

Don’t you have to add cocoa powder in there to make it more chocolatey? These sound like the no bake cookies that normally call for unsweetened cocoa powder to make them dark looking along with the PB. I’m about to make these now & was wondering if I needed to cocoa powder. So excited to make them and have a healthier alternative than the traditional. :)

24. Penny T. says

I make something similar called protein balls… same ingredients minus the coconut oil (I try not to consume any oil so that works better for me anyways). I just mix all the ingredients, refrigerate for an hour and then form in little balls and store in the fridge. I do not use coconut either but add in flax seeds, protein powder and cocoa powder. These types of recipes lend themselves to substitutions pretty easily, I think.

25. Dee says

Made these on Friday night – they are wonderful. Hubby said it was one of his favorite, daughter said I could make them anytime!

OK ladies! I need help!
    I made these this morning but I didn’t have any chocolate chips so I substituted cocoa powder. However, since my 3 young children have made my brain mush I put in the same amount that was called for the chips. So…they are not sweet AT ALL. I’ve already got them in the pan. Is there anything I can do to sweeten them up?
    I have corn syrup and sugar. Could I add some things and make them into balls of some sort?
    Or is it too late???
    Thank you!

27. Niki Robinson says

Just made these! Absolutely delicious! Delighted to find a recipe for a healthy “treat” for my kiddos!

These were very good and work well with substitutions. I used butter and pancake syrup instead of honey. I also added a cup of Rice Crispy cereal and WOW great texture.

29. Sharon says

Just tasted my first bar– YUMMY. Sooooo perfect for te chocoholic in your life. Love that this recipe called for ingredients I already had on hand and especially that its all whole foods! Easy to make and absolutely delicious to eat!

30. Eliza says

Yum! I used maple syrup and butter, but I’d like to try it with coconut oil next time. I added some of the shredded coconut to the batter and used some as a topping on half with crushed peanuts on the other half. I liked the peanut half better. Great recipe with lots of possibilities. Thanks!