Homemade Tub & Tile Cleaner

I was so, so happy with how this recipe from my friend Ruth (from Living Well, Spending Less) turned out.

It smells wonderfully. It is easy to make. And it works really well.

Just be sure that you mix it up in a larger bowl. You would think I would have learned my lesson about baking soda and vinegar! :)

I realized after mixing it up that I don’t have a funnel.

So I improvised and used my tea pot instead. Hey, it was a little non-conventional, but it worked!

And then I used the spilled cleaner to scrub my clean off my kitchen table.

See more homemade cleaner recipe ideas I’ve tried here.

Head on over to Ruth’s blog to see her incredible post with 10 homemade cleaning recipes that can all be made with just the same 10 ingredients in less than 10 minutes each. She even has a free printable recipes sheet.

Comments

1. andrea c says

Does it have to be a plastic container??
    I have some old olive oil jars, that would probably be perfect, except they are glass.

Youd be better off using a glass container, the vinegar will eat a plastic spray bottle over time and it will crack and split and eventually leak. Works great on toilets. We use an alternate method:

Baking soda with some lemon juice to make a paste, rub it on the grimy spots of the toilet and let set for 15-20 minutes. Spray with vinegar and then wipe clean. Gets rid of the grossness little boys leave all around the hinges and nuts and bolts and leaves it smelling fresh :)

• Joy says

I’ll have to try this. I have 3 boys (4 if you count dh). LOL. I usually just use a bleach wipe daily on those hinges and base.

• Nancy says

I’ve been using the same plastic bottle for my window cleaner (vinegar, water, and a touch of detergent) for over 5 years and it is still going strong.

2. Jenn Arms says

Did you ever try the cleaner….equal parts Dawn dish soap and Warmed vinegar mixed well in a spray bottle! Cleans my bathtub of grime from the dirty hubby like a charm!

I am totally trying that the next time I actually have Dawn on hand… I’ve heard it only works with Dawn. Is that right?

• Angie D says

I have good luck with throwing baking soda, ANY liquid dish soap (including Dr. Bronners) and a scrubby. Maybe I’m using too much elbow grease though. =)

• Tina Dill says

We did the warm vinegar and dawn and it made fumes so strong I couldn’t be in the bathroom. It just about choked my husband!

• Robyn says

I’ve read that those horrible fumes are caused by heating the vinegar. I don’t heat the vinegar and I don’t have the fumes – just smells clean and fresh like the dish soap and seems to clean really well without having to scrub.

I use Palmolive and vinegar in my shower and it works great! I just poured some vinegar into the palmolive container (about equals parts soap/vinegar) and just squirt some onto a sponge when I shower and wipe things down. I’ve been very pleased, and it is so easy!

3. Lori says

Hi – does this recipe keep for awhile or do you need to make it when you want to use it?
    Thanks – I love these cleaners.

I think those are just to provide some liquid and consistency to the cleaner. The salt and lemon juice and dish soap do most of the cleaning. You could leave the baking soda out, but I think it help it achieve a better consistency for scrubbing.

Thanks for asking this! I wanted to know the same thing, but the word “neutralized” was not coming to me.

4. jesslyn sarnowski says

Yes or No …. Can this solution be stored or Do I have to use it all right then ? I seen that about the neutralizing but it still wasn’t clear

5. K says

I absolutely love the idea of using more natural cleaning solutions. I don’t like the idea of breathing in the harmful fumes emitted by the store-bought cleaning products. It’s one of the reasons that I dread cleaning. I’ve tried cutting the chemicals w/ water….. helps some, but I feel that the smell is still too strong – and it lingers. Opening windows and turning on fans does help.

I feel assured that the natural cleaning solutions remove visible dirt. My only reluctance is that I wonder if they deodorize and disinfect/sanitize as well as the store-bought cleaning products.

I’d love to know what others have experienced w/ regard to my concern.

Thanks.

• :D says

Vinegar, lemons, and essential oils all have antibacterial and antiviral properties. If you do some googling you’ll find a wealth of info and scientific studies on the subject.

• Tamika says

The deodorizing you’re getting, vinegar, lemon juice, and baking soda each have their own deodorizing properties (so you’re good there). As far as disinfecting, hydrogen peroxide and alcohol are two very good choices. Vinegar does kill quite a bit itself, but for a good solution, use equal parts alcohol and vinegar (what ENTs use to put in children’s ears that have chronic cases of swimmer’s ear). If you are really worried about disinfection, give a good rinse off with whatever solution you choose, and let stand. When you use those nasty chemicals, even bleach, unless you let it stand until dry without rinsing, you really aren’t killing anything. It’s time plus the chemical that disinfects.

THANK YOU for posting this. I’ve tried some of the other recipes (warm vinegar, baking soda and Dawn, etc.) and they didn’t do a darn thing except make my tub slippery. I needed to clean my tub today (good timing!) so I gave it a shot and it was great. I think the inclusion of the salt in this one gives it the scrubbing power necessary for cleaning a tub.

Anyone know a good way to get baking soda in bulk? It would be nice to have a larger amount on hand when I want to use it for things like this.

• Heather says

Check Sam’s Club – that’s where I get ours. A gigantic bag costs about the same per ounce as getting the small boxes from Aldi. Check samsclub.com and you can find out exactly how much a bag costs at your local store (love that feature!).

• :D says

That’s where I get my baking soda. I think it’s a 13 lb bag for around $6?? If I remember correctly…

Thanks! We have a BJs membership, but I’ve never thought to check for baking soda there. Here’s hoping they carry it like Sam’s does!

Thanks so much for this. I need to work on our showers this week so this is great timing. I’ve tried the Dawn/warm vinegar recipe and found it did really remove soap scum, but was very slippery and required lots of rinsing to complete my task. Looks like this will be very economical, and even moreso if I use plain old salt instead of the RealSalt you have pictured, but I totally understand using what you have on hand, too. I have not found a source to get RealSalt cheaply.

• Elizabeth says

I had the same concern. I’d test it on a small area to be certain. I guess most cleaners, natural or not, have the potential to damage porcelain, marble, laminate, etc., and you can’t know if someone else has the same finish as you do, so I’d test to be sure.

Sounds great! I will definitely give this one a try. I use baking soda or vinegar for all my cleaning. The only thing I have to use lots of elbow grease on is my shower floor.

Even though the baking soda and vinegar in this recipe will neutralize, just be aware that vinegar can etch stone if you use it alone or it is not neutralized. As can lemon juice over time.

9. Kelly W. says

Did you have any problems with your spray bottle spraying the solution? I bought a couple from Family Dollar and nothing will come out…

10. Kelly W. says

Sorry, lol. Just read your instructions more closely and got my answer about the spray bottle!