Freezer-Friendly Banana Bread

Freezer-Friendly-Banana-Bread

Did you get something made for your freezer today? I did — but just barely.

Today was one of those days… where I felt behind, tired, cranky, and just plain unmotivated. And truthfully, if it wasn’t for the fact that I knew you all were also baking, I would likely have not gotten anything made. So thank you for doing this challenge with me to help keep me on track even when I’m really tempted to jump ship! :)

Silas helped me whip up the banana bread while I was making stirfry for dinner tonight.

Being silly. :)

We decided to mix things up a bit and add chocolate chips to the top of one loaf. Yum!

After the bread cooled, I sliced one loaf, wrapped it in plastic wrap and then in foil.

I left the second loaf whole because I’m thinking I may end up giving it away to a friend. So I made sure to seal it really well with plastic wrap and then covered tightly with foil and labeled it.

Did you do any freezer cooking today? If so, I’d love to see the results of your efforts! Link up your blog posts below or tell us about your success in the comments.

Comments

I like to use a few mini-chocolate chips in my banana bread batter. (The mini’s don’t all fall to the bottom of the loaf like the regular chips do!)

• Debra says

I have not tried it but have been told if you toss your choc chips in some flour before putting in the batter they won’t sink.

• Anne says

I have tried it & it works ok. I still like to put 1/2 the batter in & sprinkle with chocolate chips then put the rest in & top with chocolate chips. (I make loaves with nuts, some with nuts & chocolate chips & some with just chocolate chips. I sprinkle nuts or chocolate chips or both on top so at a glance I know which ones have nuts, chocolate or neither!)

I so looked up a recipe for banana bread today!!! Will be doing a double batch now!!!! great idea to fill the freezer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My recipe calls for no milk or eggs,,,,,,I have a sis in law visiting with allergies.

3. Melissa says

Oh my goodness! I didn’t see this until late last night, but as soon as I did,I thought “I just got some overripe bananas at the store today, how fortuitous!” So I woke up this morning with visions of banana bread dancing before my eyes, and whipped up a batch. I halved the recipe and divided it into 4 mini loaf pans that I happened to have laying around. I also added some Chinese five spice powder, which just makes bananas go crazy ^_^ It’s in the oven now, I can’t wait to see how tasty it is!

4. Mo says

I saw you were starting this series and realized my frozen breakfast food supply was dwindling. I’m one of those weirdos that actually likes doing a BIG freezer cooking day once every 4-6 weeks (usually 15-17 recipes, doubled for 30-35 meals total) but I like to scoot into the kitchen on in between days for other meal prep and preping produce, etc. I find on sale. Yesterday I already had plans to finish up my “homemade cream of something soups” I need for my freezer cooking next week so I added a double batch of WW choc. chip waffles, double batch of freezer oatmeal (which is baking off in muffin tins right now..YUM!!) I can freeze individual portions this way so my littles have a quick, yummy breakfast with little effort, a big batch of croutons and some no-bake energy balls (dubbed power balls in our house) great for weekend hikes and bike rides. Today is crock pot mashed potatoes for the freezer and maybe the cinnamon rolls then off to tend to the garden and mow the grass :) I love baking breads for the freezer but I find when I pull them out the loaf from the freezer always has a “funny freezer” taste to me. My husband doesn’t notice it but it bothers me. I double wrap in plastic then foil. Any suggestions?

5. Paula says

Had to work last night late, got hubby off to his out of town trip, 2 oldest off to school, baby down for nap, and little brother cracked the eggs – its in the oven!! Looking forward to it. Hard to find a real yummy banana bread thats not too dry. I halved the oil with applesauce, and was really tempted to add raisins (I usually add em to my version) – but I want to see how yummy this is without too many changes! Thanks Crystal!

• Paula says

Update – looks delicious, tastes….well, next time my pregnancy brain won’t forget the sugar….ahem. :) Gotta make some icing to drizzle over the top! Still, not too bad for sugar free!

• Rachel says

This is too funny. The sugar is mysteriously missing from mine too. Can’t even blame pregnancy brain here. Thankfully I threw some choc. chips in mine. My first bite was enough to jog my memory on the sugar but my kids think it’s awesome and now I won’t feel a bit of guilt serving them for breakfast. It’s a win win.

• Jennifer says

I am glad to hear that, I left out a small amount of the sugar (on purpose) and am considering cutting it in half next time I make this bread.

6. Grace Short says

How do these do Gluten free? Has anyone tried to convert this recipe yet? Most of my family is Gluten free so I’m always changing things up a bit!

7. Debra says

Wow just saw this post time to get some bananas….I. new to freeze cooking…..how long does it stay in freezer??!? Thanks I can’t wait to be apart of your challenges.

Yes, everyone but one of us has switched back to a regular diet again. It’s nice to get back to normal baking!

8. AMY says

I made a TON of chicken nuggets tonight (6 lbs of chicken breast.) We had chicken nuggets, homemade french fries and corn on the cob for dinner. I fully cooked some for lunches and picky eaters for the rest of the week. The remainder were fried for 1/2 the time and then bagged and frozen for later. I got 4 family-sized pkgs. and 2 kid-sized pkgs. out of it.

9. Mommyto3littlemen says

Ok. So I have to say I am ashamed at what a horrible mommy I have been! I haven’t been cooking or baking like y’all! But I really need to start! In our house, we have a nut allergy, a gluten sensitivity and also are trying to use less dairy AND go more organic…all in a TIGHT budget. HA! Anyone laughing out loud yet?!
    For atarters, I was wondering if any of the recipes y’all have used could be ‘converted’ to Gluten-Free (GF)?

I didn’t have bananas, so my 5 year old (he’s the chef in our tribe) and I mixed up a double batch of freezer cinnamon rolls and icing/caramel toppings. We had a blast, and he was so proud, because it was the first time he cracked the eggs by himself.

Hoping to mix up a batch of something else this afternoon – maybe some french bread – thanks for the challenge!

11. Susan says

I can’t wait to catch up on this freezer cooking. I have finals this week and am trying to study but I am gonna get this done!!!! So excited.

I apologize for my link posting twice. The first link DID NOT work for some reason! Sorry! We had a different day. I am allergic to Bananas so there are seldom if ever bananas at our house. We made lots of other gluten free things instead! Thanks for allowing the link-up!

13. Laura says

I recently stumbled on your freezer cooking plans and am thrilled. I have seen freezer meal plans in the past, but never healthy (lots of processed and canned foods) and never breakfast! I love the idea of making breakfast ahead!!! I only have ingredients on hand for one loaf, so I am also going to make a few of these: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/downeast-maine-pumpkin-bread using whole wheat pastry flour and raw sugar! Thank you for the hard work that must go into this blog!

14. Lisa s says

Already had a plan so did up my apple pie and some black beans for the freezer. Mongolian beef is up next and had thought about meatballs. Maybe I’ll add muffins and pancakes since its breakfast week.

15. Anna says

I cooked from around 1:30 today until 4:30 and I have made two lasagnas, one chicken, broccoli, and rice casserole, one Mexican casserole, and two loaves of banana bread ( I have a recipe I usually use, but I tried yours this time. They’re still in the oven, but they look yummy!) I didn’t think I would be able to accomplish everything I set out to do, because I have a 10 year old, 7 year old, and an *extremely* active 18 month old, but I did it!!! I’m so excited to fill up my deep freeze to lighten the load on myself later in the month. Now to finish up these dishes… :(

16. MomofTwoPreciousGirls says

I’m bookmarking this series for a weekend mommy/daughter day. Think my oldest would like to do this.

Holy cow, Silas looks JUST like your husband in that first pic!

Ooooh that bread looks GOOD.

What a cute little helper! I just started letting my (almost) 3 year old help me cook. I’m not a “player”, but my son loooooves helping, so I figured it would be a great way to spend time together. He loves being the big helper and bragging to his sister and dad when they get home about how he “made” dinner.

Still – he didn’t eat it yesterday! He’s picky. Tonight is pizza. I’m hoping that’ll do it ;)

Rose

18. Jennifer says

I used your recipe, but I cut the sugar by 1/2 c (so 1 1/2 c for 2 loaves) and it is very good. I might try dropping it to just 1 c for both loaves next time, since I’m diabetic and have to be careful with my sugar and carb intake.

19. Marla says

I saw the post last night and had been thinking that it would be nice to have some freezer breakfasts. Since our chickens have been giving us ALOT of eggs lately, I decided to use them up for breakfast meals. Last night I made a new recipe of granola that is left in the oven overnight. YUMMY! This morning, I made a double batch of waffles and a double batch of french toast. I want to make breakfast burritos on Friday. Thanks for the encouragement!

I didn’t get freezer baking done today, but I did get inventory of all freezers so I can do my once-a-month shopping this week and I did get 4 and 1/2 pints of apple jelly made with some juice I found in the freezer :-)

I’m just getting to the 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home assignment. I’ve made a list of the all assignments on one page for easy reference and plan to repeat the unique ones every month. Thanks for the direction! But this comment is really to say that watching yours and others progress has already inspired me to tackle stocking the freezer next month – that is once those 15 half-gallons of milk are out of the way.

22. Nikki says

I’m trying to cook more whole foods as we had gotten in a “convenience” food slump….but I have a hard time getting my kids to eat that way too. Do you have any favorite freezer kid friendly meals? I work full time so it’s hard to prepare whole foods from scratch on a daily basis.

I made this today, YUM! I topped mine with sugared pecans (I buy them in the produce area, for topping salads).

24. Anne says

I like to make mini loaves of banana bread which are perfect to add to a meal I share with a new mom or friend recovering from surgery. They can pull it out for breakfast or put it in the freezer until they are ready to eat it. I get 3 mini loaves in place of 1 regular size loaf. By doing the small loaves, I can make 3 different kinds, too! I can mix the basic batter then sprinkle chocolate chips in the batter in the pan, or nuts, or both! Just top the loaf (before baking) with whatever you included (nuts, chocolate chips, or nothing) & you’ll know at a glance which variety your bread is! (I wrap mine in plastic wrap & then foil & label before putting in the freezer)

• Anne says

Instead of the full about of oil, I use 3/4 C applesauce & 1/4 C oil & it’s crazy moist!

25. Lacey says

I got one loaf made (that was all the ripe bananas I had), but it didn’t make it to the freezer :(. Haha! Getting things IN the freezer is going to be a challenge in itself.

26. hazel says

what sort of oil could you use in place of coconut oil? Live in the UK and coconut oil is super expensive over here :o(

27. Carla says

The hour and 15 minute cook time was too long for me and I don’t usually have this problem with my oven. The loaves are edible, but definitely overdone:( Oh well, better than nothing!

28. Kellie says

I have to say this recipe is fabulous! I used half white, half wheat flour and the turbinado and the coconut oil and it is wonderful. The smell when it was baking was intoxicating, lol. Thanks for this recipe!