Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie Recipe

We made Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothies for breakfast a few days ago and they were a hit.

I didn’t think they were as yummy as the Pick-Me-Up Smoothies, but the children gobbled them down. (By the way, I’ve found that if I let the children actively participate in helping cut and prepare fruits and vegetables, they are so much more excited about eating them!)

The oatmeal gave it a bit more of a heavy consistency, but I was surprised how little you actually noticed it.

Kaitlynn wanted to pour her own. :)

Comments

1. Heather says

I went to a Canning place here where I live and I canned a whole bunch of stuff including Rolled Oats and have been trying to figure out what to make with them…I think I will try this recipe in the next few days! :D Thanks for all you do and for all your yummy recipes you share with us. One of my husbands favorite is the chicken tetrazzinni i found under your recipe area!

• Tanya says

I too have a bunch of rolled oats canned in my storage. Keeps them fresh for a LONG time and keeps the bugs out :)

• Emily says

Bleh, bugs! I hate to hear about them. I just disinfected everything with bleach because I saw one in my lazy susan near the flour. :|

• lyss says

So does canning them result in cooked oatmeal? Or do they stay somewhat raw like rolled oats? I’m curious!

I must say that I don’t think I’d add oats to smoothies, as we eat plenty of oats otherwise. But then again, I never follow recipes or measure for smoothies! I just read them for the ideas. ;)

• Tanya says

Not canned in a jar, canned in a metal can. You can keep dry things like this good for long term storage (20+ years!) by purging the oxygen and sealing them in a can. Takes special equipment to do. My hubby has a canner at work that we’ve used a few times.

• halee says

It’s called “Dry Pack Canning” and it is literally canning dry foods in a #10 size metal can. Most things stay shelf stable that way for 10 years! It does take some equipment. We have facilities here in Utah.

Halee mentioned that there are facilities in Utah, and there are also facilities elsewhere. I’m in Southern California, and there are a few down here as well.

• Celena says

What about the oxygen absorbers? We use those to seal the large food grade buckets we use for storing wheat, sugar, etc. Wouldn’t the smaller ones create the same vacuum without the fancy machines? They sell the oxygen absorbers on amazon.

• Judy says

Are there chewy bits of oatmeal?? I think I would try it with cooked oatmeal. I will try both ways and we will see!! Thanks for the recipe!!! :)

• Whitney says

Judy – If you have a Vitamix like Crystal, then the oatmeal would be so blended you’d have no idea the oats were even in it. But I imagine in a regular blender you might have some texture and pieces to contend with if you used raw.

Oh man..strawberry smoothies. Awesome. As a dad that’s new to this “online world” of parenting, I think I may have you to thank/blame for the Green Smoothies my wife makes occasionally also.

My health and taste buds thank you.

3. alissa allen says

We tried the other smoothie recipie you had in your menu this week that had oatmeal in it. We used Blueberries instead of raspberries and my kids ate it up! Thanks for the unique recipies you put on this site.

Oatmeal , powdered milk and water was mostly what I lived on when I lived out of a car for two years. You can store these items in a truck regardless of the weather and unless the water totally freezes your okay for some food.

• Kathy says

Janet it really sounds like you have an amazing story of getting through brutal times financially. Maybe you could do a guest post on a frugal living blog (hint, hint)

I have my own blog Kathy it is Glossy Money and yes I know the value of even one penny.

I also want to say I think Kaitlynn did an excellent job pouring her own!

That tiny cup it would have been difficult!

• Kelly says

Wow! What an amazing story. I am always inspired by people who can get by with things that I can’t imagine living without. I am hoping you are in a better situation now.

• Rae says

She got a great deal… an awesome dad (I think it’s her dad anyway) that gets her amazing presents for Christmas every year lol. I look forward to see what he gets her every year haha

5. Funke says

I just finished making this. I used some frozen peaches instead of the strawberry. Used instant oatmeal. Forgot to add any sweetener. It kind of tastes grainy. My 10yrs old said it tastes funny. My 8yrs old said it tastes mysterious. One of my 3yrs old twins said she liked it, the other one said no. They finished it anyway so I’m glad I don’t have to waste it. Next time I’m thinking of soaking the oatmeal in the milk for some minutes before blending and I will add sugar. I hope it will taste better.

That was very nice of you to let your daughter pour her own. I know mine (she’s 3) is a pro a making messes. I try to avoid any “extra” messes. I think I should quit being so uptight about it and let her help sometime. You seem to be a great mother. :) Thanks for the recipe.

• Jessica says

Yes, thanks for posting that pic… A gentle reminder for me: if that happened, would I smile and take a picture or scowl and say “I thought this might happen, this is why I don’t normally let you pour”?

7. Mickie says

Yum! I made something similar yesterday morning. Since we are dairy free, I used silken tofu instead of yogurt and 7-grain milk. I used honey for sweetner. Everyone loved it!

I ALWAYS add oats to my smoothies and protein shakes, and even my mom’s old blender does a good job of blending the frozen fruits and oats, so I think you should be fine =)

• Karoline says

I use a Magic Bullet to make my smoothies…just pulse the oats first to make sure they are powder and not chunks…because you don’t want you chew your smoothie…which I did the first time! LOL!

• Rae says

Wait, what? You mean smoothies are supposed to be… smooth? Darn, I’ve been doing it wrong! lol you made me smile tonight :)

8. Susan says

I would love to sneak some oats into my kiddos. I think I will grind them first. Last week I used a food processor to make oat flour from oatmeal and add it to my cookies. I will try doing that and adding it to smoothies. My kids seem to “find” everything that I “hide” in food!

9. Rachel says

I just wanted to let you people who want a vitamix know that you can get them on QVC sometimes for 5 payments… (I did not get mine from QVC) I have had mine about 2 years, and you SHOULD get one! It is an awesome tool. I wanted one for about six years before I actually broke down and bought it. I wish that I did not wait so long. You can make wonderful quick and healthy treats for your family!
    Crystal, your Dad gives terrific gifts!

10. Kimber says

Crystal, if your family likes pepperoni, I have a new recipe for you to try. :o) I made the dough for cinnamon rolls using your bread machine recipe. I rolled it out and lightly brushed it with a butter/garlic mixture. Then I heavily sprinkled diced pepperoni and mozzeralla, rolled, cut, and baked like cinnamon rolls. And, OH MY. If a cinnamon roll and a pepperoni pizza had a baby, this would be it! DELICIOUS! I made it for a snack, but it quickly turned into our dinner. It’s a new favorite!

11. Jen says

If you puree the oats to flour first its definitely not noticeable. I keep a container of oat flour on hand all the time.

12. anahita says

I used to drink a lot of smoothies when I was pregnant with my first one and I would add flaxseed in it too. If I can get the oatmeal and flaxseed totally powdered before mixing with the fruits, I will try it with the kids. My 3 yr old loves oatmeal for breakfast so I am not too worried if I don’t add it to the smoothie.

13. cheryl says

I’ve noticed that most of your smoothie recipes include bananas and our family finds them too strong a flavor…do you have other options? Would it be just as good w/o the banana?

14. Katie says

Hey all – Can’t wait to try this! Raw oats are very hard to digest for a lot of people though so I think I’ll soak ‘em first (just add the yoghurt to the oats, mix and let it sit in fridge overnight). This also might make for a smoother consistency if (like me) you don’t have a Vitamix.