Whole-Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe

I’m sure you’ve probably figured out by now that we’re chocoholics around here. It seems almost every other recipe I post has chocolate as one of the main ingredients in it.

So it only was natural for me to modify our family’s favorite banana bread recipe to add chocolate. Because everything’s better with chocolate. :)

The result was scrumptious! This recipe is great for a quick and easy breakfast, snack or to stick in a brown bag lunch.

Comments

1. Jaymi says

LOVE this! :) I always put chocolate chips in my banana bread! :) However, most of the time they just sink to the bottom…so I’ll have to try your recipe and see if they don’t settle

• Sandra Lee says

Toss the chocolate chips in flour before adding and they won’t sink to the bottom. :)

• Susan C. in NY says

I also use the mini choc chips and they don’t sink b/c they are so small. Great when making the mini muffin size. I make the mini size for my son’s preschool when it’s our turn for snack–the love them.

2. kerrin E. says

I see you make a lot of whole wheat recipes. What type of whole wheat flour do you use? Where do you get it and what do you pay? I am trying to eat healthier and healthier but doing it on a budget can be tricky. Do you know if making your own bread is cheaper than buying it? Sorry for all of the question……just thinking!

@kerrin, we are able to get 100% whole wheat bread from our local bread outlet store for $0.88 per loaf, and sometimes even cheaper if it’s on sale. I have six kids, so while grinding my own wheat would be healthier it’s not a budget option for us right now. We go through a LOT of bread. :)

3. Amy f;) says

Yum!!!

@kerrin E. I pay more for whole wheat but find it on sale frequently, so that helps some. And as far as I know there are mixed views on if making bread is cheaper. It depends on how hot the bread sales are in your area and stuff like this, using higher quality ingredients or if you grind your own flour, and how much energy your oven/bread machine uses.

4. Karen says

I use mini-chocolate chips in mine and then make them in mini-loaf pans. We usually eat one right away and then I have three more to freeze. It is a perfect little snack or a perfect little present for friends.

• Sandra Lee says

I make banana-chocolate chip muffins. They bake faster and freeze well. Great after-school snack.

• Amy Reynolds says

Would you tell me how long you bake them and at what temp? I’m terrible about converting cake recipes to cupcakes. I either seem to burn them or end up with gooey centers.

• Sandra Lee says

I bake mine at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.

5. Kari says

i wouldnt mind trying the whole wheat flour but would this reciepe work the same with just regular flour and would there be a big difference if i didnt use “raw” sugar?

6. Suzanne H says

Do you ever have trouble with the raw sugar staying too gritty? I’ve tried it a couple of times and have had that problem – perhaps I’m using the wrong brand? I can’t wait to try this recipe – I happen to have some bananas that I froze last week and some chocolate chips on hand! :)

A whole cup of chocolate chips, wow! That is a lot of chocolate. I add chocolate chips to my banana bread as well and I make chocolate chip muffins several times a week. I only ever use 1/2 cup of chips when I add it to anything. I bet if you reduced the amount to 3/4 cup you probably wouldn’t notice (just trying to think frugally is all).

I had some chunks recently and I didn’t like the way they baked up. Huge chunks of chocolate, and then a lot of muffin without chocolate (got to have it in every bite!). To finish using what I had I chopped the chunks up smaller to add to my baking and I liked that better. I did make a mental note not to buy chunks again though as it was a lot of work.

Your poor family! Just kidding. :)

Sounds like you and I differ on our love of chocolate, but I changed the recipe to 1/2 to 1 cup of chocolate chips just for you. :)

Yeah, you are right, my poor family. I am sure we would ALL love more, but I’m just trying to stretch my money and reduce the sugar content for all of us. You certainly didn’t have to change the recipe. I just won’t show it to my kids or they might question why I don’t use a full cup LOL>

8. Ann says

I just made your wonderful banana bread yesterday (it’s the recipe we love the most) and my oldest asked me to put chocolate chips in it. Funny that you posted it today that way. Great minds think alike. (And love chocolate!)

I make almost the exact same bread all the time for my kids. I often substitute a cup of applesauce for the eggs as well. I figure if it has that much fruit, plus whole wheat, it compensates for the chocolate chips. At least that’s what I tell myself! :)

10. Lynn says

What if I don’t want to add the chocolate chips? Will this still work? I’ve been looking for a good whole wheat bananna bread recipe!

11. Jennifer says

Is this a good thing to put in a care package to send to someone serving their country away from home? Does it keep well?

12. Dena Smiley says

so why “raw” sugar in your baking instead of regular. i’ve wanted to try to cut white refined sugars, so is the raw better, as far as sugar goes?
    thanks, this looks yummy!

13. Emma K says

I need to try banana choc chip bread.

We love the banana choc chip muffin recipe on allrecipes. It is so yummy! I love that it has yogurt in it too! My kids eat it up. I have to double it so I have enough to freeze for later :)

14. Casey says

I really want to try this, but I’d like to modify it to reduce calories. I plan to use 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Someone suggested applesauce for the eggs. I’ve seen recipes that sub applesauce for oil, anyone tried that with this recipe? I also thought about doing 1/2 sugar, 1/2 splenda. I’m not on a strict diet, but just trying to reduce some of the calories. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice. :)

15. Anna says

I made this yesterday and it is absolutely delicious!!!! Thank you for this great recipe!

16. Dawn says

Just made this tonight and it’s great! I used Eagle Mills Ultragrain flour since it tastes less grainy. And I used turbinado sugar, but it came out a bit crunchy, but I don’t mind. I’m anxious to see if this freezes and thaws well, since I’m usually scared to defrost stuff that I stick in the freezer like meats, and stuff I’ve made. I’m hopeful though!

17. Angie says

I made this yesterday for the first time and I had to end up making another batch in the evening. The first loaf was eaten before we went swimming and the other was eaten after we went swimming… not that i should really be surprised with 5 kids and 2 adults!!

18. Jen says

I have had this on my list to try for a good while now, and finally got the chance today. It is so good; thank you for the recipe! My husband is allergic to bananas, but I think between my daughter and myself, we’ll get it taken care of ;)