Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes

If you’ve not noticed, I sort of have a thing for chocolate chips. Throwing in whole wheat flour makes me feel a little less guilty for consuming them at the rate I like to. So, I knew I wanted to try Amy’s Lighter Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pancakes as soon as I saw them.

Of course, in typical Crystal style, I re-did the recipe and also tripled it so there’d be some left over for the freezer. The end result was one our whole family loved!

These Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes are delicious straight from the griddle or served cold as a snack (well, our family might be the only people who thinks they are yummy cold, because we’re weird like that!).

Comments

I don’t see wheat germ in the ingredients list but you mention it in the instructions. How much wheat germ and is it optional? I’ve never cooked with wheat germ before.

There is wheat germ in the original recipe, but I swapped it for oatmeal and than forgot to change the instructions!

2. elizabeth says

thanks for sharing…just wondering – wheat germ or oatmeal? the list of ingredients includes oatmeal, but the directions don’t – they say wheat germ! looking forward to trying a new recipe!

That should have said oatmeal. The original recipe called for wheat germ, but I didn’t have any so I swapped with with oatmeal.

3. Melissa says

My family eats cold pancakes like they are cookies. ‘Cuz we’re cool like that! :)

4. Jessica S. says

I have a thing for chocolate chips too (or rather chocolate in general, fully admitted chocoholic here and I love it!)
    I must make these. My Mom recently made something similar and I enjoyed them.
    Oh and I also have a confession to make. I will often double a pancake recipe, just so I can extra left over for myself for a snack. Yes, right out of the fridge and cold as well. I like them that way as well, except I squirt a little chocolate syrup on it and eat or fold in half and eat. So, you’re not alone there! :-)

5. Pam says

How many ounces of chocolate chips? We use allergy friendly chocolate chips which usually come in smaller bags than the regular stuff. However, chocolate is the last thing I want to skimp on!

Thanks for the recipe!

About 2 cups, give or take. I’m entirely sure on the ounces since I currently do not have any bags of chocolate chips lying around (I wonder why?!?).

6. Jessica Wilhite says

This recipe sounds delicious! I will definitely have to try them this week. Our family loves anything with chocolate chips. Our favorites are chocolate chip pancakes & chocolate chip banana bread. Yum! :)

7. Laura says

I don’t know, my kids are addicted to the OTHER whole wheat choc chip pancakes…..however I really have to use buttermilk in that recipe. I feel to really get them right (just not quite the same without it). I might try these though since buttermilk is not something I normally have on hand.

• crystal b. says

You probably already know this but I’ll share just in case it helps someone. If you don’t have buttermilk (i never do) you can “make” it. Just put 1 tbsp of white vinegar in 1 cup of milk and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. You can also use lemon juice, but ithink the vinegar works better. I use this all the time in buttermilk cake, biscuits, pancakes, etc and have never had any problems, my stuff always turns out great.

• Rhonda says

I NEVER have buttermilk on hand but if you take 1/2 cup of milk plus 1 1/2 teaspoons of vinegar that is equal to 1/2 cup of buttermilk

8. April D. says

My daughter loves anything frozen-waffles, raisen bread, tator tots…who knew. Okay by me as long as its already cooked.

9. Kristen says

I don’t have raw sugar. Can I substitute regular sugar 1:1? These sound great and I know my kids would love them!

10. crystal b. says

Yep, I tell myself the same thing about my whole wheat chocolate chip muffins-the whole wheat part balances out the chocolate chip part, right?

11. jessica t. says

These look amazing! I love seeing your recipes and ideas. They really are inspiring! I have to say when I came to your website some months ago and saw you doing your all day freezer cooking I thought it wasn’t for me. But then seeing you do everything in one hour, it got me to try it and now I’m hooked! I work full time and have three girls under 8 so freezer cooking has been wonderful. Thank you for all you do and for keeping up with this every day as you do. It really is just what some of us need ; )

12. Veronica says

Did you use quick oats or regular? Thanks for posting this recipe. It sounds really good.

13. kristi says

I love chocolate chip pancakes! The only thing that I found is that when you stir in the chocolate chips they tend to sink down to the bottom of the batter and not get distributed evenly in the pancakes. So what I do is pour the batter onto the skillet I then sprinkle chocolate chips on each pancake.

I make a similar recipe, but without the choc chips. I love the flavor that the mixture of whole wheat flour/oatmeal gives. Plus, they smell like a cake when you’re cooking them! I add vanilla flavoring to mine as well, but no sugar. They are so sweet without it. I think I will try some with the choc chips and see what the kids think.

15. peever says

Do you think quick cook oats would work? I’ve got some that I need to use up.

16. Julie says

Would you use the same amount of regular sugar? I have never used raw…where do you get that and what is the difference?

• Becky says

Yes; use the same amount. Raw sugar can be found at some large supermarkets as well as health food stores. It’s supposed to be healthier.

17. Abbie says

You know- if you eat whole wheat at the same time as chocolate chips, they cancel each other out, and it’s like you never ate anything at all! ;)

18. RD says

Just in time! Someone gave me 25 pounds of whole wheat flour yesterday and I don’t know where to start. I wasn’t going to say “no”. This will definitely be on my to-do list today.

19. Karla says

Also, I might try whole wheat pastry flour! I use it for muffins and I love it!

20. Chrissy says

I’m a little confused on the instructions…is it 5.25 cups of flour or 5 seperate .25 cups of flour, thus 1.25 cups all together?

Ok, Crystal, you have to be superwoman! I just made these this morning and it took me well over an hour (and I only made the pancakes to freeze). But I certainly had some “help” in the kitchen to tack on to the time.

1. I made them allergy-friendly for my son — dairy and egg free.
    2. I only had 1 Tbsp baking powder, so I started to do the baking soda/cream of tartar substitute when I got called away for 1 minute. My 3 year decided she wanted to help mommy and added about 1/4 cup baking soda. I tried removing as much as possible.
    3. I think I made way more than 24 pancakes. I haven’t counted them but I have a huge pile.

Nevertheless, these are fantastic! I love the use of whole wheat flour and oats (and of course, the chocolate chips). We have a local restaurant that makes chocolate chip pancakes that are fantastic; this recipe beat them by a mile — and I could make them allergy-friendly for my son.

On occasion, I do recipe reviews on my website with the allergy changes that I have made. I’d like to link up your recipe and do an “allergy change” review of it. Is that okay? My next attempt: I want to try to make them gluten-free for my gluten-allergy readers.

Thanks again for a wonderful recipe!

22. DaniB says

So did you triple the recipe above or is this already tripled from a recipe you had??? Because I doubled what is above and have a RIDICULOUS amount of pancakes!!! Why have I NEVER made pancakes with chocolate chips?!?!?! WONDERFUL!!!!

Crystal, we made these this morning for our weekend guests! They were a huge hit! Thanks for sharing! :) {Since we just switched to gluten-free, I had to use up a lot of Wheat Flour and this was the perfect way to do it!}

24. Emily says

I’m making these as I type. The 1st one is finished and it is GOOD!! My picky 5yr old is eating it! Plus, I feel somewhat good that it is made from whole wheat. and I use Sugar free syrup. My son does not know the difference ;)

25. Deseree Cox says

I have to say, thank you SOOOO much for this recipe. I am a mother to two boys with Autism Spectrum Disorder, and one is an EXTREMELY picky eater, and I cannot get him to eat ANYTHING healthy. He loves the Eggo chocolate chip pancakes, and I cringe buying them for him. But he’ll eat them, so I grit my teeth. I made these for him this morning and he’s just in LOVE with them. Plus, they have some good ingredients. So, I feel much better. :)

26. Jodi says

Do you buy your whole wheat flour in bulk? If so, where do you find it? Sam’s club in our area only carries white.

27. Christina says

I had my youngest two dice some bananas while I mixed up the rest of the ingredients. We ended up adding 6 bananas. With the addition of bananas, and using a 1/4 cup scoop, one batch made enough for 18 for breakfast and I’m still cooking the rest to freeze. I expect to have at least 20, but I’ll update to say exactly how many. Oh – and I didn’t have a full bag of choc chips. I added 3/4 of a bag.

I must say these sound delicious. I am a bit of a health nut, I may decide to trade those Chocolate Chips for Blueberries. Let you know how it turns out!

29. Cortney says

I tried this recipe and I loved it so much. I also added a bit of powdered baking chocolate from Alaska brand. it only has 20 calories per Tablespoon and I use it for many things as I love chocolate also.