10 Simple Ways to Save Money at Home

Guest post by Shannon at Frugal Mom of Two

I’m always looking at ways to save money. In addition to using coupons, here are some other ways I save money:

1. Hang clothes to dry.

I use a shower curtain rod wedged between two walls in my hallway to hang clothes straight from the washer.

2. Use cold water to wash your clothes.

Hot water is a big energy drainer. Use cold water as often as possible to do your laundry, this will really save on your electricity bill.

3. Open the door on your dishwasher during the dry cycle.

I use a dish towel and prop it open just a bit. The heat/steam that has accumulated while washing will dry your dishes.

4. Make your own cleaners.

Instead of purchasing cleaning supplies in the store, make them yourself. Not only is it a lot less expensive to purchase the ingredients needed, it’s a lot safer to use because you know what the ingredients are.

5. Make your own laundry detergent.

Laundry detergent can be pretty expensive. It’s a lot more cost effective to make it yourself and it’s easy and lasts a long time.

6. Use “junk mail” envelopes.

Most everyone receives junk mail and a lot of time’s this junk mail includes a return envelope. Keep these and use them the next time you have to mail something.

7. Use “scrap” paper for printing coupons.

It doesn’t matter what’s on the back of the coupon, so the next time you print something in error or you have some leftover paper, use the back to print your coupons on.

8. Don’t throw those veggies out!

Turn leftover veggies into soup. Keep a large bowl in your freezer and each night after dinner, dump any remaining veggies in the bowl. When the bowl is filled, you have a great base for soup. I also like to throw in any leftover ham as it adds a great flavor to soup.

9. Use a crock pot.

A crock pot uses a lot less electricity that the oven. Food tastes great after cooking all day too and it’s a huge time saver! (Not to mention the house smells great!)

10. Use plastic grocery bags in your small trash cans.

There’s really no sense in buying small trash can bags when you most likely get plastic bags for free at the store. They are the perfect size and work just fine.

What are some simple ways you save money at your home?

Shannon is the frugal mom of two great kids, one boy and one girl. She has been married for 15 years to Garit, who is truly the love of her life. She feels incredibly blessed to be a part of such a great family. She loves to organize, throw parties, clip coupons and bargain shop. To read more of her writings, visit her blog, Frugal Mom of Two.

Photo Credit

Comments

1. Rachael says

Great tips! I already do most of these, but never thought about opening my dishwasher door.

About 2 years ago I read a great tip that has helped us save on soap. I wrapped a rubber band around the pump of the liquid soap. This makes it pump about 1/2 as much which is still enough for my kids to get their hands clean. We use a lot less soap this way!

I also read somewhere that you can make your own fabric refresher spray by putting 2 or 3 dryer sheets in a spray bottle and filling it up with water.

2. Meg says

Good tips! Just as a reminder, though, if you are reusing the back side of paper for things like printing coupons, make sure you are only using the things you are willing to share. I used to work retail and we’d get coupons with sensitive medical test results, full bank or credit account numbers, and assorted other information on the reverse. I always marked it out when it turned up, but not everyone did. A little extra caution before printing can save problems down the line!

My daughter’s eczema is so sensitive that she can only tolerate baking soda for her clothes and linens – just pennies per load! Apple cider vinegar can be used in the “fabric softener”area. It helps remove the odor – clothes come out of the washer with a vinegar smell but not the dryer!

4. Alaine says

Love that all these tips are also environmentally friendly! Except the last one! For small trash cans, why use a liner at all? I don’t know about you, but I don’t throw wet garbage into my trash cans in the office, bathroom, etc. I just dump the trash into the big bag each week. Save some plastic bags too! AND, if you are using reusable bags at the store, many will give you a refund for bringing your own – another (small) way to save some money!

5. Sarah says

When our kids started taking showers by themselves, it seemed like we were going through shampoo & body wash VERY quickly. Most of this was because of the flip-top bottle design. It was too easy for them to squirt out a huge blob, way more than they needed. I started saving my Softsoap pump bottles, cleaning them out and putting shampoo & body wash in them for the kids to use. Now they know they are only allowed one squirt. It is making our bottles of shampoo & body wash last AT LEAST 10 times longer.

6. Ssss says

Best natural approach we have found to eczema issues is using homemade goat bar soap in the recipe.

I like the ideas in this post they are truly a money saver for any home. Will definately try some of these ideas.

8. vickie says

Several tips…. I use the plastic bags for small cans, but i also use for regular trash bags. I just hang the bag on kitchen cabinet knob, when full makes for more trips to outside trash can which in turn I get more exercise and I save by not purchasing bags.
    We are BLESSED to get lots of hand me downs from friends for the grandchildren and most of the time they are given to us in large trash bags(resue the bag)
    Cereal liners, are like wax paper save and reuse for leftovers, or put the open pack of cheese in and will not dry out (FYI kids open cheese put back in frig half wrappped). Cut bag open to make square, use to cut cookie dough or biscuits.
    Newspaper…I use this when peeling potaoes and carrots, no clean up mess and toss in compost.
    Bathroom….I reach under the sink and turn hot water off, at my house this is the knob kids reach for first, saves burned hands and powerbill.
    Repurpose….Spray paint can make anything look like you went out and bought something new. I spray painted a picture frame, took the matte out and spray painted different color made the picture “pop”, looks like I purchased a new picture. I have also spray painted brass what nots satin nickel finish, looks awesome. Use your imagination and most likely you can paint it a new color.
    Artwork…use calender pictures, spray paint old frames same color,
    group together beautiful artwork and inexpensive.
    One more and I will quit…I buy cake mixes, flour, cornmeal, hamburger helper on sale and put in freezer. I also keep coffee in the frig. A full freezer saves energy.