Cinnamon Swirl Bread Recipe

This variation on my favorite bread recipe is absolutely scrumptious. In fact, our whole family can eat almost an entire loaf in one meal!

My favorite thing about this recipe? It can easily be done in 15 minute or less of actual prep time. And the end result looks like you slaved for at least an hour in the kitchen!

Put ingredients in bread machine and turn on dough cycle.

Take out dough and roll into a rectangle.

Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Add raisins (if you’d like).

Drizzle with honey.

Roll up, tuck ends under and place in a greased bread pan and bake.

Let cool, then slice and eat!

If you want a Cinnamon Sugar Swirl bread, you can try Laura’s recipe. I didn’t seem to have great success in using butter as it seemed to be too heavy and caused the loaf to separate and have holes in the center. But hopefully you’ll have better success than me! :)

Comments

oh man it’s nearly midnight! I’m gonna dream of this recipe tonight, I just know it! lol. I’ll make this tomorrow and hopefully take a pic of me eating it and send it to you. THANKS FOR SHARING!

• Julie says

Great idea! I’m going to do that. What better way to wake uP and start Valentine’s day with warm delicious bread!

• Alicia says

For gluten free I have had pretty good luck with Domanta Living Flour (really have no clue why they call it that) It is a premixed flour meaning that it can be used as is with out having to add other things to to it. I have been about to just change the flour from wheat flour to this flour and everything have turned out great!

It is a little pricey, but I am not a great gluten free cook yet so not having to worry about adding tons of diffrent things to my flour has been nice while I just learn to cook GF.

You can make this bread without a bread machine or stand mixer. Just knead the dough by hand! :)

I haven’t made this exact recipe, but in general for yeast breads: Put all of the ingredients in a bowl, minus a cup of the flour. Stir to make a sticky dough. Add the rest of the flour and knead with clean hands until a soft, smooth dough forms. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.

This is the equivalent of the “dough” cycle on the bread machine, and you can continue on with the rest of the recipe! :)

2. Kristen says

I’m wondering what bread machine you are using, or if you could suggest a certain model?

Thanks!

Would the same go for your whole wheat bread recipe…making it without a bread machine that is? I simply don’t have room for it in our kitchen!

4. Lori F. says

I used to have the same issue with my dough separating during baking when I used butter. I now brush the dough with a beaten egg white before I sprinkle on the cinnamon and sugar mixture. It provides the glue that holds the goodies and allows the loaf to bake nicely. I won a blue ribbon a few years ago at our county fair for my cinnamon swirl loaf so I was concerned with presentation. I do the same thing when baking for my family too. Use the remaining egg white to brush the outside of the loaf before baking to give the crust a shine.
    I’m baking two loaves of cinnamon swirl bread today. One will stay with us and another will go to a neighbor who is spending her first Valentine’s Day alone since her husband passed away.

I learned the secret of keeping your “swirly” bread together – instead of butter, use an Egg wash, made from 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water. (Learned this from King Arthur Flour’s Baking Companion). It really works!

The egg works like glue, while the fat in butter forms a barrier to keep bread from bonding together. :)

6. Sally and Family says

For folks who don’t have memberships to Sam’s Club or Costco: Bulk yeast can be found at Gordon Food Service for $3.99 per pound.

Don’t dispair! There are other places to find good deals on bulk yeast. :)

Respectfully,

Sally

7. Heather says

Thank you Crystal! I can’t wait to make this today. I bought all the ingredients when you first posted the pictures last week. I’m going to visit an old friend this weekend, and plan on giving her this homemade bread :o)

yummy yummy! Will make this for sure.
    Crystal, I am very interested in starting to purchase the raw sugar.
    If you here of any great deals, please let us all know.
    You have inspired me to switch from my other brands:o)

9. Nicole says

This looks yummy! I don’t have a bread machine but keep thinking about getting one. Does it actually save you money to make your own bread (we have a family of 4, soon to be 5), or is it more of a “you make it so you know what’s in it” thing?

• kjs says

I figured out the cost for us to make homemade bread and it is slightly cheaper to make it then to buy it. However, I like that I know what I put in the bread, and of course, it tastes soooo much better! :-)
      (We are a family of 5.)

• Sarah says

For me it’s both! I have my mom’s old bread machine, but I’m ready to relegate it to the basement for a while. I guess I’m more of a purist in that I like to work with it by hand. I suppose it helps that the bread I bake for daily use is the Artisan Bread in 5 Min./Day. I substitute all but a cup of white flour for whole wheat, and then do the 2nd rise in 2 loaf pans rather than in circle breads. It doesn’t require kneading, is soft for sandwiches, doesn’t fall apart when you slice it, etc. I also like to know what’s in it. So getting whole wheat bread from the store with minimal ingredients (4 in my recipe) can get pretty pricey. I figure I spend about what a loaf of cheap white bread costs for 2 loaves of the stuff I make. Plus, we’re expecting #4 in April, and the appetites will only get bigger!

10. Mandy says

Crystal I’m wanting to buy a breadmaker today if I can get out. I’m 7 months pregnant and have strep throat and a sinus infection. Do you have any suggestions on which type to buy? I’m looking at the Hamilton Beach Homebaker 2 lb. Breadmaker. Any suggestions or tips you have is greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful day!! :D

• Erin says

I saw bread machines on clearance at my target when I was there yesterday. They were marked down 50% from around $100 down to $50! I also saw some blenders 50% off. I wish I had some wiggle room to get one, now would be a good time! You should check Target first!

• Mandy says

Thanks Crystal. I have a goodwill 2 minutes from my house so I’m gonna go look there first. I did find an Oster breadmaker for a little over $50 bucks at my walmart. I hope to make a loaf of bread today and tomorrow. I love homemade bread.

• Dawn says

I was wanting a bread machine and asked for requests of what type to buy to my friends on Facebook. A friend brought one to me for free. Her mother-in-law had handed it down to her and she never used it. It never hurts to ask!

• AllieZirkle says

Freecycle too :) I found my breadmaker there. I posted a request each month for 3 months. Found a MagicChef I think it is. It’s older and nothing special, but it works great and was free!

11. angie says

I haven’t tried your recipe yet but have Laura’s – made 6 loaves in fact and my boys and husband devoured it quickly. I’ve found the key to light bread is let it rise, rise, rise – give plenty of time to rise! Oh yeah, and I make it from scratch not bread machine so maybe that makes a difference? With either recipe it’s sure to be a hit!

• Sarah says

I agree! I’ll make the dough in the morning and let it rise for hours and hours (esp. in the winter!).

12. Alea says

Just wanted to share one tip that works for us. We often toast bread and when I roll the raising in with the filling, they fall out into the bottom of the toaster. So now when I make swirl breads, I mix the raisins in with the bread dough before letting it rise and then doing the filling.

13. Cortney B. says

Yes! I am heading out of town tomorrow and wanted to bring some bread for our hosts. Thus, this is just in time for me to make this tonight! :) Thank you Crystal!!!

14. Jerilyn says

I made a loaf today and then checked my email and found this in my box. :) I like to make a loaf and we have a slice for snack with butter. Then toasted the next day with peanut butter. Then use the bread as french toast. delicious! I pretty much make this for french toast. :)

15. Joy says

My bread machine died, so I made this with my Kitchen Aid mixer today. I mixed the raisins in with the dough & also brushed the dough with the egg/water mixture & sprinkled lots of cinnamon sugar on it. It’s yummy warm with a glass of milk! Thinking of making some to take to a friend who just had surgery.

16. Maggie says

quick question: do you make this really early in the morning for breakfast or can you prepare dough ahead of time so there are less steps in the morning. looks great!

I just made it for this morning and I put the ingredients in the bread maker last night and set it for a delay so it would finish just about the time I was waking up… worked so far :-)

17. Sonia says

Thank you so much for this recipe!!! I just finished making a loaf and the family LOVES it!! So easy and soooo delicious! Thanks again :)

Delicious! Instead of 1/2 a cup of oil I added a 1/2 a cup of applesauce and it turned out fantastic! Thanks so much!

19. Mandy says

I bought my first bread machine yesterday at KMart. I got it for $47.99. It is a Hamilton. I made just a basic white loaf last night but it was really hard on the outside and the texture was really heavy. I didn’t aerate the flour and scooped it out with the measuring cup so I think I put too much flour in it. The top of the bread wasn’t smooth at all. Do you let your bread bake in your breadmaker? I really want the smooth top bread. Do you have any suggestions for me?

20. becky says

Just got around to making this – it’s in the bread machine as I type. I Love that this can be made vegan – so many breads call for butter, milk and eggs and this one doesn’t. Hurray!! Think this is going to be a staple in my rotation and my husband and daughter will probably devour it for dinner much like your family does. Thanks for posting!!

21. Linda says

tried tonight but wrote down the recipe wrong. I put 2 cups water instead of one. The dough was so runny and it spilled into the bread machine. = /
    I added flour until I got a workable dough and continued. Hoping it doesn’t come out to bad. Thanks for the recipe. My daughter got inspired and decided to make cookies on her own. (She is 12).

22. Lisa says

I tried this yesterday, and the whole family loved it! Quick question– I would love to make more of this at one time. Is there any way to mix it up, and then store it in the fridge until baking it? We like to eat it right out of the oven, but that would require me to make it once per day! :) Any tips?

23. Marisa says

We are actually making our second loaf since yesterday, the family liked it so much. To clean it up a tad, we used whole wheat pastry flour instead of the all purpose flour and used sucanat for the sugar (whole cane sugar in its most natura form) and used the coconut oil. It came out yummy. We are currently working on a gluten free version for my son, who is gluten intolerant. We’ve substituted rice flour for the flours and added 1 teaspoon xanthum gum per cup of flour. I’ll let you know how the gluten free version works out, but the other one is definitely a keeper in the house.

24. Stacy says

Can you make this recipe without a bread maker? I don’t have one, don’t have to money to get one, but would love to make this bread. Are there any adjustments that need to be made to the recipe?

25. AllieZirkle says

I made this recipe today with pastry flour. For the filling, I used mini chocolate chips and craisins. SO YUMMY!

Had to come back to this post just to say how much I enjoyed this bread! I’ve made several other versions of cinnamon swirl bread, but this is the best yet! I did it by hand (and used 1/4 cup coconut oil and 1/4 melted butter since I was low on butter!) It’s so soft and delicious – especially warmed and spread with butter. Thanks so much!

27. beth says

I am making a version of this bread this morning for a special treat on our snow day in Seattle! My 3 year old had so much fun helping! Thanks Crystal! (for this, and all you do!)