It has been just over a year since we brought home Champ, our first long-term placement in our foster care journey. It’s been a year of learning, growing, and riding a rollercoaster of emotions.
In this episode of the podcast, Jesse and I sit down and recount some of the most unexpected lessons — the grief of goodbye, walking through deep sadness with our kids, what we’ve learned through reunification, how it has impacted our kids, thoughts on caring for a child with special needs, and how our faith has been strengthened and changed through it.
We also talk about a book I’m reading, a book Jesse finished, plus the foster care support group and how sometimes stepping into awkward things can turn into really awesome relationships.
In This Episode:
[00:33] It’s foster care awareness month and we’re sharing our takeaways from this past year of fostering.
[01:51] My foster care support group is saving my life these days.
[05:42] Jesse finished the book he’s been reading and is still recommending it to me.
[08:49] I’ve been reading Can’t Steal My Joy by Bekah Bowman.
[11:35] Okay, let’s talk all things foster care and the unexpected lessons we’ve learned along the way.
[13:20] Dealing with the grief that comes along with reunification was a huge lesson learned.
[15:30] Our kids have also been impacted and given the opportunity to learn how to grieve.
[17:12] How our grief impacted our initial experience with Baby D.
[20:04] Fostering has impacted our kids and we went into that with eyes wide open, but it’s also given them a chance to grow so much.
[23:01] It’s been amazing to watch our kids become so attached to the boys we have fostered.
[26:02] Fear is normal. Expect the unexpected.
[27:55] Foster care has also changed my perspective on hot button topics in the world.
[30:14] This past year has deepened our faith like never before.
Links and Resources:
- Libby App
- The Devil’s Hand by Jack Carr
- Can’t Steal My Joy by Bekah Bowman
- Episode 65: Our Journey to Becoming Foster Parents
- Episode 89: An Update on Our Foster Care Journey
- Love-Centered Parenting
- 10 Days to Be a Happier Mom
- Sign up for the Hot Deals Email List
- My Instagram account (I’d love for you to follow me there! I usually hop on at least a few times per day and share behind-the-scenes photos and videos, my grocery store hauls, funny stories, or just anything I’m pondering or would like your advice or feedback on!)
- Have feedback on the show or suggestions for future episodes or topics? Send me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Listen to The Crystal Paine Show
The podcast is available on iTunes, Android, Stitcher, and Spotify. You can listen online through the direct player here. OR, a much easier way to listen is by subscribing to the podcast through a free podcast app on your phone. (Find instructions for how to subscribe to a podcast here.)
Ready to dive in and listen? Hit the player above or search for “The Crystal Paine Show” on your favorite podcast app.