I’m currently challenging myself to stick with a $70 grocery budget for our family of five. This includes almost all of our breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and dinners + most household products (toiletries, laundry soap, etc.).
Note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and we will be compensated if you click through and sign up. Read our disclosure policy here.
Last Week’s Groceries
Last Sunday, I didn’t get a chance to share what I bought last week at Kroger because I was in New York City. However, I wanted to show you pictures since I’ll be using these groceries in some of our meals in the next month.
First up, I was super excited to get peanut butter for just $0.99! I stocked up on 5 jars!
I was also pretty excited about getting those BAGS of avocados for $0.99 per bag. I’ve been eating a lot of avocados the past week!
Then Jesse went to Kroger when I was on my trip to stock up on the really good weekend deals — including 32-oz blocks of cheese for $3.99.
All totaled, we spent right at $70 on groceries for everything shown above.
I didn’t make it to Kroger this week until Thursday and I guess it was a good day to go… because I found bagged salads marked down to $0.25 each.
Say what???? It was pretty exciting because I have never seen bagged salads even remotely close to that price!
I wrote more about how I MADE money on multiple items at Kroger that shopping trip.
I was excited about the weekend deals for this week, including Sabra Hummus for $1.49! We love hummus, so I bought the limit of 5
Thursday Kroger Shopping Trip
- 5 bags of Stacy’s Pita Chips — $1.49 each as part of the Kroger Weekend Deals
- 5 packages Johnsonville Sausage — $1.99 each as part of the Kroger Weekend Deals
- 5 packages Johnsonville Smoked Sausage — $1.99 each as part of Kroger Weekend Deals + I got a $5 off coupon for buying 5
- 1 lb. Simple Truth Ground Pork — marked down to $2.50
- 3 bags of Bagged Salad Kits — marked down to $0.25 each
- Nourish Bowl — marked down to $1
- French Bread — marked down to $0.79
- Dole Salad Kit — marked down to $0.50
- Spinach — marked down to $1
- Pickles — $1.49
- Half & Half — $1.79
- 3 Simple Truth cartons of eggs — marked down to $0.79 each
- 1 dozen medium Simple Truth eggs — marked down to $1.29
- Kroger Water — $0.79
- Whole Milk — $2.59
- 2 bottles of Kraft Barbecue Sauce — $0.49 each when you buy 5 participating items
- Gilette Shave Gel — $0.99 when you buy 5 participating items + used $0.75 Kroger Digital Coupon = $0.24
- Orville Redenbacher popcorn — $0.99 when you buy 5 participating items
- 1 bag of cuties — marked down to $0.99
- 4 bags of Mrs. Cubbison’s Croutons — $0.29 each when you buy 5 participating items, used $1/2 Mrs. Cubbison’s printable coupon + submitted my receipt to get $1 back from iBotta
- 2 bottles of Ken’s dressing — $1.49 each when you buy 5 participating items, $1/1 Ken’s dressing peelie coupons +
- submitted my receipt to get $1.50 back from iBotta
- Total with tax: $54.19
On Saturday, I was over on the side of town where Sprouts is, so I ran by in take advantage of the weekend deal to get Blackberries for $0.88.
I also looked at the Manager’s Specials for meat and found Lamb Chops marked down to $2.50. Yes, it was more expensive than what I’d usually pay per pound for meat, but I’ve been promising Silas I would buy lamb if I found a deal on it and I finally did! (He fell in love with lamb when we visited South Africa!)
Saturday Sprouts Shopping Trip
- 5 cartons of blackberries — $0.88 (Weekend Special)
- 1 package of Lamb Chop — $2.50
- Total with tax: $7.37
Psst! If you have a Sprouts nearby, be sure to check out these freebies you can get.
I also stopped by a different Kroger that was right by Sprouts. There wasn’t anything super exciting, but here’s what I picked up:
Saturday Kroger Shopping Trip
- Cantaloupe — marked down to $0.99
- 1 loaf of bread — marked down to $0.99
- 1 can of refried black beans — marked down to $0.69
- 1 bag of flour — marked down to $1.49
- Butterfinger — Free Friday offer
- Total with tax: $5.27
Total spent on groceries: $66.83
Subscribe for free email updates from Money Saving Mom® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!