Here’s a great tip from Pamela:
We recently came to grips with our 6-figure debt and are determined to work our way out. We know it’s going to be a long road and we’re doing everything we can to spend only what’s in our envelopes and stay within our budget!
As you can imagine, we need all the help we can get to stay disciplined, so I was excited to find a free and easy-to-use website that helped me save almost $100 dollars on a much-needed car seat for our two year old!
The site is called camelcamelcamel.com. It tracks product prices on Amazon and it notifies you when the price on those products drops below the target price you specify.
Here’s how it works:
- Sign up. It’s completely free. This step is actually optional, but registering gives you some added features. (If you do sign up, make sure you verify your account after signing up by replying to the email you will receive.)
- When you’re ready to start tracking a product, go to camelcamelcamel.com.
- In the search box at the top of the page, type in the product you wish to buy.
- Look at the list of possibilities that comes up and click on the exact product you are looking for.
- The Overview page for that product will show you current prices and history of prices on Amazon, 3rd Party New and 3rd Party Used. With cool graphs even! Click around to see the historical prices and other fun info about the product.
- To set a target price, click on “Create a price watch for this product”
- Choose when you want to be alerted. Whether for Amazon Price, 3rd Party New and/or 3rd Party Used
- Specify the price at which you wish to be notified
- Choose to have email alerts or Twitter alerts (RSS feeds are also available)
- Click “Create price watch(es)”
That’s it! Now all you have to do is be patient and wait. 🙂 If and when the price on your product drops to your target price (or below), you’ll be notified.
I opted to receive notifications via email, so when my notification came, I simply clicked on the link they provided and then clicked through to Amazon where I purchased our car seat!
Pamela blogs about paying off her family’s 6-figure debt and staying green & healthy at ooshela.com.
Subscribe for free email updates from Money Saving Mom® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!