I talk to so many women who are exhausted, worn down, and worn out. They don’t want to feel this way, but they aren’t sure whether there is any alternative.
If you’ve ever felt like that or just even wondered how you could feel a little more rested, you don’t want to miss today’s episode. In it, I talk with Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith (author of Sacred Rest) all about the seven kinds of rest (yes, that’s right! Feeling rested is a lot more than just getting a good night’s sleep) and practical advice for women who feel chronically tired.
I thoroughly enjoyed my conversation with Dr. Saundra and love how she addresses rest from a very different perspective — it’s not just about getting more sleep or slowing down or taking a Sabbath.
In this episode of the podcast, I also tell you about how I’m prioritizing relationships and how we’ve gone about making some of our closest friendships this year. and what that has looked like for us. And then I close out the show by answering a question on how to fix exercise in when your kids are young.
In This Episode:
- [01:44] – I made a commitment at the beginning of this year to make relationships a priority. And one of the things that has been a result is that I’ve become more extroverted! Plus, I’ve found so much life in pursuing close friendships! I share how Jesse and I have been intentional to develop relationships and what that has looked like for us.
- [06:24] – Jesse found this fascinating article that I can’t stop talking about, thinking about, or referring to.
- [09:43] – My guest today is Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith, author of Sacred Rest, a book that deeply impacted me.
- [10:35] – Dr. Saundra shares wise advice have for the woman who feels exhausted and as if there is no way out of the exhaustion.
- [12:22] – Did you know there are seven different kinds of rest? I didn’t until I read Dr. Saundra’s book — and it made so much sense to me why getting more sleep wasn’t enough to help me feel rested.
- [16:12] – I talk about how the Rest Quiz fascinated and helped me and why I think every should take it. (It only takes a few minutes!)
- [18:34] – Creative rest is something that most people have never heard of, but it’s vitally important!
- [20:51] – What does making rest a priority look like for Dr. Saundra in her own life?
- [21:57] – We hear about what Dr. Saundra is currently reading, as well as why she is loving her air fryer — and I try to convince her to get brave and use her Instant Pot more!
- [25:08] -I close out the show by answering a question on how to fix exercise in when your kids are young.
Links and Resources:
- Twigby (this episode’s amazing sponsor!)
- Tough Mudder (You can see pictures from our Tough Mudder experience here.)
- “We’re the Only Plane in the Sky”: Politico’s article about September 11
- Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith
- Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith on Facebook
- Sacred Rest by Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith
- Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith’s Rest Quiz
- Hallelujah Anyway by Anne Lamott
- Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis
- Hard-Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot by Crystal Paine
- My Instagram account (I’d love for you to follow me there! I usually hop on at least a few times per day and share behind-the-scenes photos and videos, my grocery store hauls, funny stories, or just anything I’m pondering or would like your advice or feedback on!)
- Have feedback on the show or suggestions for future episodes or topics? Send me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Listen to The Crystal Paine Show
The podcast is available on iTunes, Android, Stitcher, and Spotify. You can listen online through the direct player we’ll include in the show notes of each episode. OR, a much easier way to listen is by subscribing to the podcast through a free podcast app on your phone. (Find instructions for how to subscribe to a podcast here.)
Ready to dive in and listen? Hit the player above or search for “The Crystal Paine Show” on your favorite podcast app.
Today’s episode is sponsored by Twigby — a company dedicated to providing fantastic phone service at great prices. As I mentioned in the podcast, if you are looking for a great deal on a phone for your teen (or yourself!), I’d highly recommend checking out what Twigby has to offer.
Unlike traditional cell phone companies, they give you the ability to create your own custom, prepaid plan — without a contract or an unnecessary activation fee.
You don’t have to mess with going to a store and picking out a phone plan. You just go to their site, pick your phone plan and either switch your current phone over or get a new phone, and they get it all set up for you.
My favorite part about their service (in addition to their great prices!) is that they offer plan flexibility with the ability to change plans or phones at any time for free. You’re not locked into an expensive contract that has activation and termination fees.
They also offer Free Overage Protection, so you can rest easy in knowing that you will never be charged for overages without your go-ahead! You have complete control.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission — at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for your support!