Guest post from Brigette Shevy.
Why we love Pepperoni Spaghetti
This budget-friendly, freezable recipe is a favorite at our house! It’s a unique twist on pizza and spaghetti that’s simple to put together and can be made up ahead of time.
I often serve this when we invite families with small children over for dinner… it always goes over well!
When I got married, I was given a copy of the family cookbook from my husband’s family – with all kinds of relatives contributing their favorites. This is my version of a recipe I discovered in that collection.
It’s an easy recipe to be creative with. Try using different cheese combinations, switching out the spaghetti noodles for another kind of pasta, or adding your favorite pizza toppings in place of the pepperoni.
I’ve also made this with brown rice pasta to make it gluten-free. It just depends on what you like and what you have on hand.
Since I started having my children take turns planning and helping me make dinner on Friday evenings, Spaghizza shows up quite regularly at our dinner table on Friday nights.
If you’re looking for a new recipe that’s made from staple ingredients, is simple to make, and picky-eater-appealing… here you go!
Pizza Baked Spaghetti Ingredients
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 ½ cups spaghetti sauce (one 23.5-ounce jar)
- 8-12 ounces (2-3 cups) shredded cheese (all mozzarella, or a mixture of your favorite pizza-friendly cheeses)
- 3.5-ounce package of sliced pepperoni or any of your favorite pizza toppings
How to Make Pepperoni Spaghetti
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2. Generously grease a 9″ x 13″ pan and set aside.
3. In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook the spaghetti noodles according to the package directions until al dente.
4. Immediately rinse cooked noodles in cold water until cool. Drain well.
5. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk eggs, milk, parmesan cheese, and seasonings.
6. Toss cooked noodles into the egg mixture and transfer to a greased 9×13 pan.
7. Pour the spaghetti sauce on top of the noodles.
8. Place half of the pepperoni on top of the sauce followed by the shredded cheese and then the remaining pepperoni.
9. Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
10. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
11. Let stand for at least 5 minutes before cutting.
How to Serve this Spaghetti Pizza Recipe
As with all pasta dishes, it pairs well with garlic bread, salad, roasted vegetables, and fresh fruit. It also tastes fantastic as leftovers later in the week (although you may want to add a bit more sauce when reheating it).
How to store Pizza Baked Spaghetti
If you have leftovers, simply store them in a covered food storage container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
You can also free individual portions (with a little extra sauce) for quick lunches.
Pizza Spaghetti FAQs
They are very similar and could easily be substituted for one another if you run stuck. However, pasta sauce is usually chunkier than pizza sauce, and can sometimes have additional ingredients like cheese, or more spices.
Yes — you can burn the cheese and pepperonis if you bake it for too long. If you’re worried about this, simply cover the dish with aluminum foil to prevent the top from burning and the noodles from drying out.
The most likely answer is you simply needed more sauce (maybe your noodles were undercooked so they soaked up too much sauce during the baking process). Feel free to add more sauce (even after you bake it) if the noodles seem dry.
Baked Spaghetti with Pepperoni
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles or any other noodle
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup parmesean cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2½ cups pasta sauce 23.5 ounce jar
- 3 cups shredded cheese mozzarella or any other favorite
- 3½ ounces sliced pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Generously grease a 9″ x 13″ pan and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook the spaghetti noodles according to the package directions until al dente.
- Immediately rinse cooked noodles in cold water until cool. Drain well.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk eggs, milk, parmesan cheese, and seasonings.
- Toss cooked noodles into the egg mixture and transfer to a greased 9×13 pan.
- Pour the spaghetti sauce on top of the noodles.
- Place half of the pepperoni on top of the sauce followed by the shredded cheese and then the remaining pepperoni.
- Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let stand for at least 5 minutes before cutting.
Brigette is a full-time wife and mother who is blessed with three amazing bundles of energy. She enjoys music, experimenting in the kitchen, homeschooling her children, finding great deals, long-distance running, and anything chocolate.
Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy
We love comments from readers, so chime in with your thoughts below! We do our best to keep this blog upbeat and encouraging, so please keep your comments cordial and kind. Read more information on our comment policy.