One of my secrets to finding time to read every day is that I often have at least one ebook that I’m currently reading that I take with me on-the-go.
You never know when you’ll find yourself in a situation with 3-5 minutes of extra minutes of spare time. I love being able to pull up my current ebook and get some quick reading time in during those short windows of time that might open up while I’m stuck waiting at the doctor’s office or waiting in line. And it’s surprising how quickly you can get through a book by doing this!
As you probably know if you read here regularly, there are hundreds of free ebooks offered daily on Amazon. Almost every week day, we post a round-up of some of the best free ebooks we find each day.
I’ve had many people tell me they skip over the free ebook posts because they don’t have a Kindle or other e-reader to read the ebooks on. Well, guess what? I don’t have one either!
A lot of people don’t know that you don’t need a Kindle or other e-reader to be able to download the free ebooks offered on Amazon. All you need is to simply download the free Kindle Reading App to any mobile device (phone, iPad, etc.) or even your laptop or desktop computer!
Here’s how to download and use the free Kindle Reading App:
1. Decide which device you’d like to read your free ebooks on (computer, phone, etc.)
2. From that device, click on this link to download the free Kindle Reading app. (You can do this for multiple devices. For example, I have the app on my laptop computer and my phone.)
3. Login to your Amazon account.
4. If you are on a computer: you will receive a pop-up that asks you to enable offline reading. Click on the “enable offline” button to download the app to your computer.
5. If you are on a phone or mobile device: you will automatically be taken to the app store to download the Kindle reading app to your device.
6. Next time you want to take advantage of a free ebook or buy an ebook, you’ll see a little box on the right side of the Amazon page that gives you an option to “deliver to” with a drop-down menu of all the devices you have the Kindle Reading App installed on.
7. Select which device you’d like to have the ebook delivered to, and then click on the “Buy now with 1-click” button.
8. All of your ebooks will show up in your Kindle Reading App on your chosen device.
9. You can choose to have them stored in the Cloud or on your device. I recommend storing them in the Cloud so that you don’t use up all of the storage memory on your device. I keep all of my ebooks in my Cloud, and then I download them one at a time to my device when I’m ready to read them. This allows me to access the current book I’m reading at all times — even when I don’t have access to Wi-fi.
See how easy that is?
Julie Crabb says
Additionally, there is a free web site, here : http://calibre-ebook.com/
that will convert many formats of e-books to other file formats. One of these is a PDF document. If they have no kindle app or kindle access, it would be possible to convert to a PDF format to read. The list of file extensions that they convert from/to can be found under the “about” section on the site. It’s a good tool to have if you come across free e-books that need to be converted in order to view on your kindle app as well.
Your free e-book posts are the ones I most look forward to! Thanks so much for sharing them.
Crystal Paine says
Oh yay! That makes me so happy!
Your posts with free ebooks links are some of my favorites, and much appreciated!!! I’ve been enjoying them for ages without a kindle. I use the free kindle app on my phone. 🙂
Crystal Paine says
I need to add this, as well. Slightly different is all. Download any document..not just e books, any type of doc or mobi to laptop or tablet. Each of your devices had its own email, found under manage my devices on amazon. Once you know that email. Just copy and paste and send. No subject needed. And no need ever to pat the extra price for a Kindle version of ultimate bundles or other type stuff. I even have word docs like invoices on my Kindle.
Crystal Paine says
Thanks so much for mentioning that!!
Alison @ Tickling the Wheat says
I can’t say enough good things about the Kindle app! While I prefer the larger screen of my Kindle, the app is so convenient. I normally just keep my Kindle by my bed and then read on the app whenever I’m out and about! I’ve also let my mom borrow my Kindle while I read books on the app.