Testimony from Jessica of The Abundant Wife
On June 15, I wrote down six goals that I hoped to accomplish in the next month:
- Go to bed every night by 10 p.m.
- Get up every morning at 7 a.m.
- Read a chapter from my Bible every day.
- Write a page in my journal every day.
- Read from a book every day.
- Go for a walk every day.
Next I posted my list on the bulletin board over my computer so that I would see it every day. After a few days, I decided that I needed some sort of reward system. Amy Lynn Andrews had recently posted a “productivity secret” from Jerry Seinfeld, so I decided to use his system. I gave myself a star for every day when I accomplished items #2-#5.
As with most goals, I have had some set-backs.
First, my kids started getting up when I did which was really frustrating! However, with time, they have adapted to my new routine. Now my 3-year-old daughter often wanders out and sits by me while I’m reading and writing. I usually have to finish my new routine by getting my 1-year-old son out of bed and changing his diaper.
I have also really struggled with goals #1 and #6. I think I will have to focus more on them in future months, but I am still happy to be accomplishing four out of my six goals.
In spite of those few struggles, I am very pleased with the positive results of my 6 goals over the last 2 months:
- I have been reading my Bible and writing in my journal daily for the first time since my daughter was born three years ago.
- I have finished 12 books in 2012 — 9 of those books were finished in the last two months!
- I have been able to write more regularly on my blog.
- I have needed fewer naps since I have been trying to get to bed earlier. I am also tired when it is time to go to bed.
- By moving up my schedule, our entire day begins and ends earlier. All of our meal times are now happening earlier.
- I have accomplished more of my other goals for the year, including outings with the kids and home improvements I had planned.
When I first began getting up before my kids, I dreaded the thought of getting any less sleep or adding more tasks to my day. Now, I find myself looking forward to “my time” in the mornings as a breath of fresh air.
Getting up earlier than my kids jump-starts my whole day and gives me structure. Doing something I love first thing keeps me motivated to continue my new routine!
Have you accepted Crystal’s challenge to make the most of your mornings? What has or has not worked for you?
Jessica is the child of a loving God, the wife of a wonderful man, and the mother of two energetic toddlers (with a third on the way!) She is a lifelong learner who loves reading, writing, bargain-hunting, creating art, and laughing until her face hurts. Jessica writes about living abundantly on one income at The Abundant Wife.
Subscribe for free email updates from Money Saving Mom® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!