Our Favorite Quick and Easy Pizza Dough Recipe
We love homemade pizza at our house. It’s filling, inexpensive, and easy to make!
Best of all, though, in our opinion, it’s so much better than carryout or frozen pizzas.
I’ve tried many different pizza crust recipes and this one is not only our favorite, it’s also one of the quickest to make.
The pizza, from start to finish, can be ready to pop in the oven in less than 30 minutes.
Pizza Dough Recipe Quick Ingredients
- 1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F.)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. oil (vegetable or olive oil)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
What is basic pizza dough made of?
As with all bread recipes, the basics come down to flour, water, yeast, and salt.
The main difference in pizza crust is the use of oil instead of butter — which allows for a crispier crust.
How To Make Fast Pizza Dough
The main benefit of pizza dough is that it doesn’t need to rise — so you can have your pizza in the oven in as little as 30 minutes!
Ways to Use Easy Homemade Pizza Dough
Pizza dough is very versatile — use it for your favorite pizzas, calzones, and stromboli.
How to Store Easy Pizza Crust
You can make the pizza crust dough the night before and store it in in your fridge, wrapped in plastic wrap. When it’s time to eat, just roll out the dough, add your favorite toppings, and bake according to the recipe card below.
You can also freeze the dough for later.
Can you Freeze homemade pizza dough?
Yes! You can make a double or triple batch of this pizza crust dough and freeze the extra dough to use later.
This speeds up the preparation even more as all you have to do is pull out a bag of dough in the morning and then put the pizza together right before you’re ready to eat.
While I still think fresh is best, the frozen dough is almost as good — and it’s a whole lot less expensive than ordering pizza for dinner.
You can also freeze the pizzas already cooked but I doubt it would ever stay uneaten long enough to make it to the freezer around here!
How to Make Homemade Pizza Crust
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients in and mix well with a large spoon or spatula, just until the ingredients come together.
3. Dump the dough onto a floured surface and knead it into smooth dough.
4. On a floured surface, roll out the dough and press it into a greased pizza pan.
5. Add sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings. (Have fun and be creative with this!)
6. Bake at 450º F. for around 12-15 minutes, or until the crust looks crispy and lightly browned.
Pizza Dough Recipe Quick FAQs
If you prefer a chewier crust, use bread flour as it has a higher protein and gluten content (up to 13%). This allows the dough to stretch more and will produce a more “bread-like” crust.
If you’d like a crispier crust, stick with all-purpose flour as it has slightly lower protein and gluten content.
Yes! All-purpose flour is best for crispier crusts. If you prefer a chewier crust, you’ll want to try bread flour (see notes above).
Water is usually considered best for pizza crust as the enzymes in milk will soften the dough (great for bread, but not as good for a sturdy pizza crust).
Mozzarella is the most “traditional” cheese for pizza, but so many other varieties taste amazing as well. Try mixing up your pizza flavors with a sharp cheddar and parmesan mixture, or even a softer cheese like goat cheese, blue cheese, or feta cheese.
You’ll want to knead it for close to 10 minutes if you’re kneading by hand (or 5-6 if using a mixer). Make sure you use a well-floured work surface if kneading by hand.
In addition to using all-purpose flour (instead of bread flour) a crispy crust needs a hot oven and a little extra oil.
Instead of flouring your work surface, oil the surface (and your hands) with a bit of olive oil to keep the dough from sticking. This will also help it bake up extra crispy in the oven.
You will also want to keep your crust fairly thin so it bakes quickly.
More Quick Recipes You’ll Love
- How to Make Easy Frozen Pizzas (with this dough recipe)
- Bread Machine Stuffed Pizza Pockets
- Easy Spaghetti Pie
- Upside Down Pizza
- Pepperoni Rolls
- Homemade Hawaiian Pizza
- 13 Easy Homemade Bread Recipes (freezer-friendly!)
- 7 Make-Ahead Freezer-Friendly Pancake Recipes
- 7 Freezer-Friendly Muffin Recipes
- 50 Cheap and Easy Dinner Ideas
Pizza Dough Recipe Quick
For the Crust
- 1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105-115ºF)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- pizza sauce
- pizza toppings
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in and mix well with a large spoon or spatula, just until the ingredients come together.
- Dump the dough onto a floured surface and knead it into smooth dough.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough and press it into a greased pizza pan.
- Add sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings.
- Bake at 450º F. for around 12-15 minutes, or until the crust looks crispy and lightly browned.
Do you make homemade pizza at your home? If so, what are some of your favorite toppings?
Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy
We love comments from readers, so chime in with your thoughts below! We do our best to keep this blog upbeat and encouraging, so please keep your comments cordial and kind. Read more information on our comment policy.