Your search for the perfect granola ends here — I just know you’ll love it! It’s so easy, it makes a big batch, and it freezes well too! You can even give it as a unique holiday gift! (Don’t forget your FREE printable gift tags to go with it!
Recipe from my sister, Brigette. During the months of November and December, we’ll be highlighting some of our favorite homemade gifts! Download our FREE Homemade Gifts Guide to get recipes to 15+ easy-to-make gifts, plus printable gift tags to go with each gift!
This Homemade Granola has been my go-to for years!
I enjoy many different granola recipes, but this is my go-to recipe.
I received this recipe as a wedding gift from one of my very best friends (a handwritten cookbook is a great gift, by the way!) and I’ve only slightly tweaked it over the years.
It’s the perfect mix of crunchy and chunky and sweet and savory and everything you could possibly want in a bowl of granola.
In fact, I know people who “don’t like granola” yet get hooked on this recipe.
Eat a bowl as a breakfast treat, grab a handful of it for an afternoon pick-me-up, or sprinkle it on ice cream or yogurt for a late-night treat… yum!
This Homemade Granola with Honey makes a great frugal gift!
This delicious granola is also a great homemade gift for teachers, neighbors, and friends. In fact, certain family members and friends have come to expect (even demand!?) this granola from me every December.
Even though it works great as a gift, you’ll definitely want to make sure you save some for yourself. 😉
Get your free printable gift tags!
Homemade Granola Recipe Ingredients
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 5 cups cornflakes cereal
- 1 cup wheat germ (or wheat bran, oat bran, etc. – something with a more “flour-like” consistency)
- 1 cup pecans
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
WET INGREDIENTS :
- ¾ cup oil (vegetable or coconut)
- 1 cup honey (use less if you don’t like your granola very sweet)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
How to Make Homemade Granola
1. Preheat oven to 250ºF.
2. Grease a 10″ x 15″ baking dish and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients together.
4. Add wet ingredients to a medium saucepan and simmer over low heat until warm, stirring occasionally.
5. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix well.
6. Spread mixture evenly in baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 2 hours, stirring every 20-30 minutes.
7. After 2 hours, press the granola down firmly into the pan, turn your oven off, and put the pan back into the oven (with the oven door closed) until completely cool (this will take several hours but helps create a more crunchy granola, which I love).
If you happen to like chewier granola, let it cool on the counter instead of in the oven.
8. Store cooled granola in an airtight container at room temperature, or freeze for later.
How to store Homemade Granola with Honey
After the granola cools completely, store it in an air-tight food storage container, a zip-top bag, or glass jars with tight-fitting lids.
How long does Homemade Granola Last?
It should stay fresh for a few weeks at room temperature and will last for months in the freezer.
Freezing Oatmeal Granola
It freezes wonderfully. Simply store it in a ziptop bag or airtight food storage container and it will stay fresh for months.
Easy Homemade Granola Serving Suggestions
This homemade granola is great severed over your favorite yogurt with a little fresh fruit, as a crunchy ice cream topping, or just in a bowl with milk.
You can also sprinkle it over banana bread or cinnamon bread batter BEFORE you bake it. It will give the bread a nice crunchy sweet topping.
Oatmeal Granola FAQs
Honestly, there’s a lot of sugar in granola, but it’s honey and maple syrup (natural sugar). Granola also has a fair amount of protein and fiber. It’s not something I’d eat for every meal, but it’s a highly nutritious treat.
Store-bought granola is extremely expensive, so even though some of the bulk ingredients in our homemade version can be a little spendy, I’m positive it’s still much cheaper than buying it from the store.
In order to get crispy granola, you must cook it slowly at a low temperature so it has plenty of time to dry out without burning. We also recommend turning off your oven after 2 hours and letting the granola sit in the oven until completely cooled. It takes a little extra time, but it really helps to produce crunch granola!
We suggest old-fashioned oats as they hold up better than quick oats and make “chunkier” granola.
We prefer the taste of real maple syrup, but you can substitute any syrup you have in your pantry.
You could try Rice Krispies, Bran Flakes, or even Frosted Flakes for a sweeter granola!
Yes. Feel free to make a double or triple batch — just make sure you use multiple pans or a very large pan so the granola can spread out (otherwise it will take forever to cook).
Easy Homemade Granola
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 5 cups cornflakes
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup pecans
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup honey
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 250ºF.
- Grease a 10″ x 15″ baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients to a medium saucepan and simmer over low heat until warm, stirring occasionally.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread mixture evenly in baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 2 hours, stirring every 20-30 minutes.
- After 2 hours, press the granola down firmly into the pan, turn your oven off, and put the pan back into the oven (with the oven door closed) until completely cool (this will take several hours but helps create a more crunchy granola, which I love).
- Store cooled granola in an airtight container at room temperature, or freeze for later.
Get your FREE Homemade Christmas Gifts Guide!
If you’re looking for ways to simplify gift giving this year, we have just the solution for you! Download our brand new FREE Homemade Christmas Gifts Guide! When you sign up, you’ll get:
- 15+ DIY recipes for unforgettable gift ideas (we’ve included something for everyone on your list!)
- Step-by-step instructions for ridiculously easy homemade gifts that anyone can make!
- Customizable, ready-to-print gift tags to go with each homemade gift!
This FREE guide was designed to help you have a more peaceful, intentional holiday season. Our hope is that it reduces stress, helps you save more money and spend less on your gift budget, and simplifies things so you can focus on what matters most this season!
Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy
We love comments from readers, so chime in with your thoughts below! We do our best to keep this blog upbeat and encouraging, so please keep your comments cordial and kind. Read more information on our comment policy.