This week, I got the privilege of interviewing Cal Newport on my podcast. We talked about digital minimalism, deep work, teens and technology, and why he doesn’t have social media accounts.
Cal Newport on Digital Minimalism
I am super excited to bring you this week’s episode of the podcast… but I have to be honest and tell you that recording this episode was one I was pretty nervous about.
You see, unlike most of my other guests, I didn’t have any relationship with Cal Newport. I didn’t know anyone who knew him. I didn’t know his publisher. And I’d never connected with him on social media (because, as we’ll talk about on the show, he doesn’t have social media!)
It Never Hurts to Ask
When I read his book, Deep Work, at the beginning of 2019, I knew immediately that I wanted to try to have him on the podcast. But since I had read his book and knew how carefully he guards his time and commitments, I figured it would be a long shot for him to even consider coming on my little show.
However, I decided to get brave and send him a compelling email pitching him the opportunity to come on my show. What’s the worst that could happen? He could not answer or he could respond and say no.
To my surprise, not only did I get an email back, but I got an email back with a YES! I was ecstatic and excited and quite nervous to do the interview! But I’m really, really happy with how it turned out (and I don’t even think you can tell I was nervous!)
What We Talked About
I loved the insights Cal shared in this episode! We talked about:
- What Deep Work can look like for us in our everyday lives (including some special insight for busy moms!)
- His thoughts on why he doesn’t use social media (which I find fascinating!)
- How we can make technology serve us well and enrich our lives
- Why technology might be hurting our kids and what practically we can do about it.
It’s a really important conversation and I highly encourage you to find 30 minutes sometime in the next few days to listen in.
(My water tumbler that I talk about on the show.)
In This Episode:
[02:53] – This week, we talk about water tumblers, drinking a gallon of water per day, and inflammatory issues (it sounds like we’re getting old!) in the What’s Saving My Life segment.
[06:55] – My book pick is one that I actually recently re-read (I rarely read books more than once, so you know I really liked it!) and recommend the book, the audiobook, AND the movie!
[09:35] – Did you know you can earn cash back for shopping online? I’ll tell you how!
[10:28] – I introduce today’s guest, Cal Newport and ask Cal to define the difference between Deep Work and Shallow Work. He then talks about how busy women and moms can find time for deep work.
[13:16] – We hear an example of what deep work looks like in practical terms for an everyday woman.
[15:15] – Cal has never had a social media account. He explains his reasoning behind this choice. It’s pretty fascinating!
[18:36] – I ask Cal to share some advice for people like me who don’t ever plan to give up social media but who also find the idea of being a digital minimalist appealing.
[23:08] – We talk about how to raise kids with a healthy view of technology and social media and I share a recent example of a choice we made with our oldest and how that played out in a surprising way!
[26:41] – The question of the week is this: “What’s your easiest tip for saving money?” I talk about saving money on groceries. Jesse talks about goal setting and saving for bigger purchases. And we both discuss budgeting.
[30:54] – Speaking of questions, if you have one you’d like us to answer, email me at email@example.com! (Also feel free to get in touch if you have suggestions, thoughts, or comments. I love hearing from you about the podcast!)
Links and Resources:
- Cal Newport
- Deep Work by Cal Newport
- Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You by Cal Newport
- Contigo water tumbler
- How I Drink a Gallon of Water Every Day
- Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine Joint Pain Relief
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
- How I Listen to Audiobooks for Free (info on the Libby app)
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (movie)
- My post on How to Make Money With Ebates
- My Favorite Things on Amazon
- My Instagram account (I’d love for you to follow me there! I usually hop on at least a few times per day and share behind-the-scenes photos and videos, my grocery store hauls, funny stories, or just anything I’m pondering or would like your advice or feedback on!)
- Have feedback on the show or suggestions for future episodes or topics? Send me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Listen to The Crystal Paine Show
The podcast is available on iTunes, Android, Stitcher, and Spotify. You can listen online through the direct player we’ll include in the show notes of each episode. OR, a much easier way to listen is by subscribing to the podcast through a free podcast app on your phone. (Find instructions for how to subscribe to a podcast here.)
Ready to dive in and listen? Hit the player above or search for “The Crystal Paine Show” on your favorite podcast app.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission — at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for your support!