Looking for really honest Rocksbox reviews? If so, check out my updated thoughts after using this service for several years! Also, be sure to scroll to the bottom for a Rocksbox promo code that gives you a FREE box to try!
A number of years ago, I had the opportunity to try out Rocksbox — a jewelry rental membership service dedicated to making your life easier and more stylish.
I wasn’t sure what I’d think of this service at first and it seemed a little quirky (renting jewelry?? Who does that?!) and expensive to me (I’m all about buying jewelry for $3 off the clearance rack at Kohl’s!). But I gave it a go so that I could give all of you a really truthful look at my experience with this service.
It has now been over 5 years since my very first experience with Rocksbox, and I’ve used it many times over the years. They have also made a lot of updates over the years, so I figured it was time for an updated honest Rocksbox review!
How Does Rocksbox Work?
1. Sign up for a Rocksbox account. (If you use my Rocksbox promo code moneysavingmomxoxo at checkout, you’ll get your first month entirely FREE!)
2. Answer a few questions about your likes and dislikes. For instance, I said that I mostly wear silver jewelry and don’t want them to send me rings (because I only wear two ever — my wedding ring and a 10-year anniversary ring).
3. Add pieces to your Wish List. This is a way for your stylist to get a better idea of your likes and dislikes. They recommend that you add at least 15 pieces to your Wish List. Your stylist will do their best to choose at least one piece from your Wish List to include in your box. Rocksbox sets are curated for you based on your Style Profile and your Wish List.
4. They then curate a box for you and let you know. You’ll have 24 hours to get a sneak peek of what they’ve chosen for you and choose to swap any items out that you don’t like and switch to something you like better (I love this feature!)
5. Within a week or so, you’ll receive a box of jewelry. Your box will contain three different pieces of jewelry. You can keep this box of jewelry for as long as you like.
6. You can keep and wear your Rocksbox pieces for as long as you like. You can return your box anytime, as often as you like, and they’ll send out a new set right away. You pay the same monthly membership fee ($21/month) regardless of how often you exchange your box.
7. When you’re ready for a new box of jewelry, just ship the current box back. Within another week or so, you’ll receive another email with a sneak peek of what is coming in your box and you can choose to swap things out, if you’d like. (Note: Be sure to ship all the pieces back. If you keep a piece, you will be billed for it as that signifies to them that you wanted to purchase it.)
8. You can purchase any of the jewelry you receive at a discounted price. Every month, you can choose to apply your $21 membership fee as a credit towards the purchase of one jewelry piece. (This credit does not roll over each month.)
Tips For Making the Most of Rocksbox
Be sure to add jewelry to your Wish List. I added 15 pieces of jewelry to my Wish List before I got my first box. My stylist chose the bracelet I had picked out and created a set of jewelry around that. Once I saw what was in my first box and fell in love with the Kendra Scott earrings, I added quite a few more Kendra Scott items to my Wish List for future boxes.
Be sure to keep the original box that your jewelry comes in. I’ve found that putting the jewelry straight back into the cute little box when I’m not wearing it is the safest way to make sure it doesn’t get lost or broken.*
Be sure to leave feedback for your stylist. Just like Stitch Fix, stylists depend upon your feedback to make your future boxes as tailored to your style as possible. Once you receive your box of jewelry and wear the jewelry, be sure to log onto Rocksbox and share your feedback on the pieces you were sent so your stylist can get to know what you like and dislike.
*Note: In case you’re wondering what happens if you damage a piece of jewelry, here’s what their site says: Your membership includes a small insurance fee, which covers normal wear for all products. If there is slight damage or wear (e.g. lost earring back, a stone falls out, etc.) this is fully covered. However, we will evaluate the damage when it is returned to the warehouse, as excessive damage is not covered. If you have any damage or loss issues, don’t worry, but please email us immediately at email@example.com.
My Honest Rocksbox Review
First up in my completely honest review of Rocksbox is all of the positives!
You can get the first month FREE! Get an absolutely FREE month when you sign up and use my Rocksbox promo code moneysavingmomxoxo at checkout. Just please put a reminder on your calendar to cancel the subscription before the 4 weeks is up in case you decide it’s not for you. I’d hate for you to get charged for something when you expected it to be free!
Shipping and returns are always free! I love that shipping is included in the $21 membership price, and you don’t have to pay return shipping either!
It’s quality jewelry. Over the past couple years, Rocksbox has really upped their game on quality and all of their jewelry is now plated in real gold and/or silver! They also launched a demi-fine collection that includes higher quality jewelry, 18k gold-plated or silver-plated jewelry, and exclusive designer brands.
You get to keep the jewelry as long as you’d like. Decide if you want to wear a piece for a week, month, or longer! Keep each box as long as you’d like and send it back when you’re ready for a new one. Regardless of how many times you send it back for a new box, you’ll pay the same $21/month membership fee.
You can cancel at any time. If you decide you don’t like it at any time, you can easily just cancel your membership in your account. You’re not locked in to paying for an ongoing monthly subscription.
It’s great for people who need to be on camera or stages every week. If you’re someone who does a lot of video or media or public speaking, this might be a great option for you. For just $21 per month, you can get new jewelry to change up your look on a regular basis — without needing to go out and go shopping for jewelry. I love how jewelry can transform the look of outfits!
It gives you the opportunity to try new looks and styles. I have received many styles of jewelry that I would never have thought I’d like unless I tried it! I’ve been pleasantly surprised by many of the pieces!
The stylist helps you know what looks go together. Okay, so here’s my real-life confession: I often struggle to know what jewelry goes together. I always wonder if I’m breaking “The Jewelry Rules” when I pull together a bracelet, earring, and necklace combination that didn’t come packaged together. I love that my stylist told me that I could wear the three pieces she sent together. It was like, “Finally! Someone is telling me that I’m not breaking any rules or forever branding myself as a non-fashionista if I wear these three things together!!” 🙂
If I want to be completely honest in this Rocksbox review, I have to give you some cons, too! Although there aren’t many, here are the few I noticed:
It’s expensive. You knew I was going to say this, didn’t you?? 😉 As someone who usually gets her jewelry from the clearance racks at Kohl’s and Versona and who tries to pay less than $5 for every piece of jewelry, the thought of paying $21 per month to rent jewelry is just, well, a LOT of money.
Other people wore the jewelry. This might not seem weird to you, but for me, it was a little weird to think that I’m wearing jewelry that there’s a good chance someone else wore. They say that it’s sanitized and it looked brand-new to me, but still.
You might break or lose it. This is probably one of my biggest hesitations for this service. As a mom of kids, stuff breaks at our house. It’s just inevitable. And I had to be extra careful to make sure I put all the jewelry straight back into the box it came in so I wouldn’t break or lose it and then get charged for it.
Rocksbox Promo Code: Get One Month for FREE!
Just please put a reminder on your calendar to cancel the subscription before the 4 weeks is up in case you decide it’s not for you. I’d hate for you to get charged for something when you expected it to be free!
Psst! Be sure to check out my Rocksbox Unboxing on FB Live for a live look at some of the jewelry + some more of my honest thoughts!