(Note: This post was sponsored by VIPKID. All opinions are my own. Read our disclosure policy here.)
What is VIPKID?
VIPKID is an online English education platform allowing children ages 4-12 in China to take classes from North American teachers, all from the comfort of their homes.
Starting in 2013 and now having 200,000 students in 2017, they have grown exponentially fast and are in need of more teachers.
VIPKID has a unique business model that works for everyone involved. Chinese families can get a quality educator for a good price point, and teachers can have a part-time work-from-home job with flexible hours.
VIPKID differentiates themselves in many ways:
- Social impact. They have a research institute at Stanford studying how children learn languages, and they also have an ongoing project in the rural schools of China where VIPKID teachers get connected to a lower income rural school and virtually teach English to the class.
- Teacher Community. They offer a very supportive culture both online and offline at meetups.
- Curriculum. Their curriculum is proprietary so that they can fine tune it as needed. All lesson plans are created by the VIPKID curriculum team, which takes pressure off of the teachers.
- Technology. Their technology provides the platform that makes online teaching possible.
- Students. VIPKID students are engaged, motivated, and have highly invested families.
- Flipped Classroom Approach. Students independently learn the material and then get a 30-minute lesson with the teacher. After that, they receive virtual homework and practice games.
Benefits of working as a VIPKID teacher
If you’re looking for a creative way to make an income from home, this might be a really great fit — especially if you have an interest in teaching! VIPKID offers the following great benefits:
- Impact hundreds of thousands of children in China.
- Flexible hours.
- Work from anywhere.
- Earn an average of $19/hour.
- Incentives including cash, prizes, and even trips to Beijing.
- Low-pressure teaching. Since teachers do not have to worry about curriculum development, lesson planning, or grading, they get to focus on what they love best — teaching!
Qualifications required to apply to be a VIPKID teacher
VIPKID is specifically looking for stay-at-home moms with teaching experience, current teachers looking for extra income, retired teachers looking for part-time work, or ESL teachers currently in the U.S or Canada.
In order to apply to be a VIPKID teacher, you must:
- Have a bachelor’s degree in any field.
- Have at least one school year of full-time teaching experience or equivalent hours in similar educational activities (such as home schooling, tutoring, or educational mentoring).
- Be eligible to work in the U.S. or Cananda.
Note that you do NOT need to speak Chinese in order to teach!
If you meet all of these requirements, be sure to scroll down for instructions on how to sign-up to teach with VIPKID!
How to sign-up to be a VIPKID teacher
- GO HERE to sign-up.
- Fill out your basic information.
- Go through the interview process that involves a demo of your teaching skills.
- Go through their Intro to Teaching class.
- Practice teaching a mock class with an experienced VIPKID teacher.
- Sign your contract and start teaching kids!
It’s that easy! If you follow these steps and meet all qualifications, you could become a VIPKID teacher within less than a month!
Ready to get started? Go here to sign-up to teach from home with VIPKID!
Looking for more in-depth advice on how to make money from home?
Be sure to check out my book Money-Making Mom: How Every Woman Can Earn More and Make A Difference, where I share creative ways to manage money, generate income and–most importantly–live a life of deeper meaning, fulfillment, and generosity than you might have ever imagined possible. This book is packed with hard-won wisdom, real-life stories, and practical tips to help inspire and motivate you!
I also highly, highly recommend Angie Nelson’s eCourse: How to Land Your First Work-At-Home Job. This step-by-step guide is packed with valuable information and tips!
Subscribe for free email updates from Money Saving Mom® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!