MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

31 Days to a Better Grocery Budget: Shop at More Than One Store (Part 1)

Missed the first posts this series? Read them here.

When I mention how I save a lot of money by shopping at more than one store, I’m often met with resistance:

“But I don’t have time to go to more than one store! I can barely make it into Walmart once a week.”

“That’s not saving money! You’re wasting all sorts of time and gas running around to fifteen different stores in one day. Wouldn’t it be more cost-effective and efficient to just do all your shopping at one store each week?”

“I’m glad that works for you, but I don’t have near the patience or organization to even attempt something like that!”

Yes, one can make a lot of excuses for not shopping at more than one store. But I think all of these excuses show a lack of understanding as to what it really means to shop at more than one store.

Let me be clear: I am not advocating going to 15 different stores which are 45 minutes away from your home in order to save $2 at each store.

That’s not saving money, in my definition. Instead, that’s wasting enormous amounts of time and effort and producing little to show for it but wear and tear on your vehicle and an exorbitant gas bill.

What I am advocating is taking a little bit of time to scout at your nearby stores each week and pick a few which have the best sales and deals. Then base your grocery trip planning on shopping only at those stores.

A simple example…

Last week I flew to Baltimore and ended up spending quite a bit of time at the airport between my four different flights and layovers. I only packed one checked bag since I also had Silas, a stroller, a laptop, and a diaper bag. So I had limited space to bring snacks to eat on my flight days.

Because of this, I ended up buying a few items at the airport stores to tide me over for breakfast and lunch. Instead of just going to the first shop I found and plunking down whatever dollar amount they were asking, I took five minutes to survey my options.

I quickly walked over to each of the shops within a minute of where I was and checked out their menu boards and prices. By doing this, I was able to put together a relatively healthy meal for less than $6. While that number might seem high–and it is!–compared to how expensive some of the meals were at the airport, I definitely saved at least $3-$5 by taking five minutes to check out my options.

$3 to $5 in savings for a little walking and five minutes is a pretty good investment, in my opinion. In fact, if I were to save $4 every five minutes, that’s like saving $48 an hour–which isn’t an hourly wage to sneeze at! Plus, did I mention that when you save money, it’s tax-free?

In the same way, by putting forth a little bit of effort and learning what are the best deals for your area and picking a few stores to shop at each week that are running the best sales, you can get rock-bottom prices on your groceries and save significant amounts of money each week.

Tomorrow, I’ll share some step-by-step ideas for getting started shopping at more than one store while keeping it simple and not wasting a lot of time, effort, and mileage to do so.

Do you shop at more than one store for groceries? If not, what’s holding you back from doing so?

Get the latest coupons delivered right to your door for
as low as $1 per week with Discounted Newspapers!

107 Comments

• Cate says:

I shop at multiple stores, but not really from a price standpoint–instead, from a selection standpoint. Every week we go to the farmer’s market (for sustainable meat/eggs/produce), the local health food store (for organic milk/bulk spices and grains, etc) and Kroger (for everything else). Occasionally we’ll drop by Target or another place if we need something specific to that store or priced drastically lower.

• @Cate,

Same here! We buy local, grass-fed and pastured meat and eggs, local fruits and veggies, local honey, handmade soap, etc. from our farmer’s market. Then onto Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods for bulk items (organic brown rice, organic dried beans, etc.). For non-food items (paper products, pet food, diapers, cleaning supplies), I shop ALDI or Costco.

Mary Ellen
      The Working Home Keeper

• Emily says:

When I lived in PA up until about a year ago, I shopped only at Giant (and I was very fortunate to have a real Giant). I mean, I would occasionally go to Sam’s or Walmart or this awesome local discount store when I needed to stock up on a few things that I knew they had the best prices on, but my main weekly grocery shopping was done only at Giant. When I moved to Columbus, OH a year ago, I tried to find my ONE store to shop at only to realize after trying several that I could not get everything I wanted at one store. I really tried to like Giant Eagle, but it never really was able to live up to Giant, so I stopped trying. Anyway, I ended up finding that between Meijer and Kroger, I could find pretty much everything I want (with an occasional trip to Marc’s to get our favorite brand of Pecorino Romano cheese pretty cheap) and get the best deals that each store has to offer. And now I can’t imagine NOT shopping at more than one store, since grocery prices really do vary so much between chains. And I also can’t imagine how I ever lived without Meijer. LOVE that store!!!

• Lynette S says:

There aren’t a lot of grocery chains where I live – oh how I wish we had a Publix nearby! I “mainly” shop at Kroger. However, I do check the Bi-lo ad each week and if they have several good deals, I will make a trip there. I make a monthly trip to Wal-Mart for the things we’ve run out of that just haven’t been on sale anywhere. (That’s less and less these days as I have built up my stockpile). I also shop at CVS and Walgreen’s, usually weekly.

I have found that when I plan ahead and shop my list, stopping at more than one store does not take much any longer than when I used to do weekly shopping without a plan. In fact, my list saves me time- even my kids talk about how quick I get in & out of the store.

• Cricket says:

I completely agree with shopping at multiple stores- when I have the time to do so. But wouldn’t you save $48/hr with your scenario? 🙂

• hatta says:

I definitely save money by shopping more than one store. Generally I spend an hour going through ads, clipping coupons, meal planning, reading blogs about “deals,” and making my list. An average week I price-match at Wal-Mart, grab cheap staples at Aldi, and sale shop at Kroger. I save about half of what I used to spend and it really works for me.

• Kelly Hess says:

YES – I always do weekly trips to Giant Eagle, CVS, and Walgreens. I then have certain items I go to Aldi’s and MARC’s for. They are all within 5 mile radius of my house!

• Kate says:

I absolutely shop at several stores! Mainly Wally World (W-M) b/c they price match, but definitely hit Target, Aldi & Sams as well.
    I am so LOVING your Blog! You are able to put into words everything I’ve always believed in…THANK YOU!!!!!!

• Sara says:

I have a weekly Wags budget. I make it a game to see how much stuff I can get with store deals and coupons and RR while staying within the budget. The rest of my grocery money goes to Winn Dixie. The Wal-Mart in town is notorious for running out of staples and doesn’t offer much organic food, so I usually skip Wal-Mart altogether. If Wal-Mart is having a deal that is too good to pass up, I’ll go to the one in the next town over.

• Samantha says:

I live in Illinois and I also shop at multiple stores – one day a week. I usually go to IGA, County Market, Schnucks, and Aldi. Walgreens and CVS if there’s a good deal.

I find it easy to go to 4 different grocery stores, because it’s always great to find the best deals possible. I’m a stay at home mom too, so I have the opportunity to check other people’s blogs to find the best deal. I look over the store ads each week and match up with coupons.

We’ve lowered our grocery bill to $40/week, because you’ve inspired me to keep it simple. I love following your blog and will continue to do so. Thank you so much!

• maura says:

Like you, I also shop at multiple stores. I review the weekly circulars and Sunday coupon inserts to find what stores will have the best deals and also the freebies. I usually try to hit Rite Aid once a week for freebies or super great deals on a wide variety of things and then usually hit Acme every 1-2 weeks. I stock up on meat from whichever grocery store as the best price in a given week. We usually go to Costco twice a month. Walgeeens, Giant, and Walmart sometimes too. It takes planning, but is well worth it. It can be difficult with three kids 4 and under, so I do some trips after the kids go to bed, cause I can do it much faster that way.

• Cheri says:

I have tried to shop more than one stores to get the best deals, but inevitably I end up going over my budget to get the best deals along & what I need… I have had better luck staying on budget by going to one store that is usually the least expensive and getting everything I need for that week.

I am interested to hear your tips!!! 🙂

• katey says:

yes. I went lot stores, Giant eagle, marc’s , save a lot, wags , cvs, riteaid and maybe once or twice go to target. I feel wow but there too much for me to go stores and look different deal every weeks. I feel that I ignore my kids alot because of time doing search deal and coupon then stores. I need a help with tip for schedule and how can I doing quick look for deal n coupon then store.

I already love your blog because I found lot good tips in here and comment people too 🙂

• Mindy says:

I always check through the ads and note which store has the most of the stuff I want/need at the best price and if there is a good enough deal at another store for something else, I will make the two stops. Sunday I went out, coupons in hand, gameplan written down and spent 3 hours making 6 stops! This was kid-free. If I would have had the kids with me it would have been impossible. The worst was at Safeway where they overcharged me for my cereals (the current sale) and it took the gal 25 minutes to figure things out and give me back my $7! So frustrating! Again, if the kids had been with me I probably would have been forced to have just left without my money b/c of the hassle.

• Susan J says:

Thanks for the tips, Crystal!

I just returned from a CVS/WAGS run and gave your info to another cashier! =)

• Rochelle says:

I do shop at multiple stores. We live in a very very small town that only has a Piggly Wiggly. 20 miles south of us is a really big town so and my husband and I both work there. I try to go to Target and Wags when I get out of work and only after I have looked up the deals and know exactly what it is that I am going to get and I only pay cash at those places. For the rest of our groceries we go to Walmart and “The Pig”. I do make out a menu for a 2+ wk period that will incorporate what we have in the house already and things that are on sale at the two stores. The Walmart that we go to is actually 10 miles north of us and we have to go past “The Pig” to get there and back home. As I can find out the sale prices that are at the local store I compare them at Walmart while we are there and I will mark the items that I want to get at “The Pig”. We then will stop at “The Pig” and I will only go in and get the few items that we need. We normally are only gone for about 1 1/2 hrs total.

This last shopping trip my husband was really excited about getting out of Walmart for under $70. We actually got out of there for under $35. He now is starting to get excited about and into the savings. He also is now very supportive about the amount of time I spend looking for the deals and printing/cutting/organizing all of the coupons.

• Kaylea says:

We are at the point with stockpiling that we rarely hit more than 1 grocery store (+CVS) on our weekly shopping trip. Sometimes I will make an extra mid-week stop to snag a particularly good deal, but not often. We are members of a meat/eggs/yogurt CSA and a vegetable/fruit CSA, so the main things we buy are loss leaders/catalina deals, drinks, cheese, milk, treats, and a few things to fill the gaps left by the CSA memberships (meat that the CSA doesn’t offer or doesn’t offer enough of, like lunchmeat, chicken breast, and ground white turkey; fresh fruit & vegetables in the dead of winter).

I usually visit a few blogs to figure out whether we should hit Dominick’s or Jewel (and very occasionally Target, Whole Foods, or Trader Joe’s….but since all three of those stores are loaded with budget-busting got-to-have-it temptations, it is just as well that we give them a wide berth). I should probably get my act together and try Aldi — I’ve never even set foot in one — and if we had a Super Target nearby we might put it in a more regular rotation. If there’s nothing compelling in the ads, we sometimes skip a week and just restock on milk at the greengrocer.

My husband and I both work full-time (and 80% outside the home) — to preserve family time and keep stress at bay we try to stick to a rule on the weekends that we don’t do shopping or errands in the mornings, only the afternoons, and we only go out on either Saturday or Sunday but not both. So if we have an outing planned (beach, zoo, museum, park) then we try not to shop/run errands that week if we can avoid it. I have a feeling this rule will have to change once our littles have sports and activities and such, but it works for us for now.

I definitely think it is worthwhile to hit multiple stores if the deals are good, and it generally doesn’t pay to be “brand loyal” to your grocery store — but my experience so far has been that usually only one of the grocery stores in our rotation has compelling/useful deals in a given week.

• Emily says:

@Kaylea,
      We are in the same boat. My husband and I both work full-time and family time is so important to us since we don’t get as much time with the kids during the week. When I first started couponing, I was home full time and could go get all the errands and deal shopping done with my kids during the weekdays. Then our weekends were stress-free and we could just do things together as a family. Now, weekends are my only time to shop, so I try to do all the shopping at least while my son is napping in the early afternoon. THat way, we get family time in the morning, which always includes a nice breakfast all together, and then my husband and daughter get some time together while I shop and my son naps. But, like you said, once the kids get a little older and start getting involved in weekend activities and sports, it’s going to be hard to get it all done.

• I shop at Safeway, Fred Meyers, and New Seasons. I plan a day that the hubby is home so I can leave my toddler and then go shopping with the baby for 1-2 hours. I of course, “pre-plan” and write my list out so I’m not surprised when I go to the register. I love having an option of shopping more than 1 store, especially when your shopping Organic you can find great deals at several stores, not just specialty stores.

Christina

• Noah says:

Honestly, I usually only hit one store with the best sales. I don’t have the option of shopping with my husband in tow or without the kids, so dragging 3 kids in and out of car seats and to multiple stores is just not going to happen most weeks. So I do the best I can with what I can. That being said, I really don’t usually need to buy that much at conventional grocery stores anyways. Usually (though right now is the exception due to schedueles) I subscribe to a CSA and buy a lot of my dry goods in bulk from Azure Standard. In the Summer, I get milk and eggs at my local farmer’s market. It’s nice to avoid the store as much as possible!

• Bonnie says:

This may seem crazy to you all, but I don’t even peak at my store ads. I have regular blogs that I follow and as I am perusing the deals I copy and paste the deals into one Word document (named weekly deals). So on Saturday, I already have a pretty detailed list of all of the best deals for the next week based the deals the bloggers find. Then as the week progresses, I add in any new deals that people discover. This is so easily done for me while watching tv at night or just after waking in the morning. Then when I know that I will be out and near a store, I just print the stores portion of the weekly deals document and clip the appropriate coupons. If I don’t make it to a store, I don’t bother clipping and the weekly deals list gets scrapped each week for a new list. This also gives me a quick way to check out which stores should be my biggest priority. I am lucky to have a CVS and two Riteaids within a 2 miles of my little ones preschool so killing time until she is done can score me some great deals. I also have two Targets, 3 Walmarts, Giant of Pa, Safeway, Superfresh, Weis, Food Lion and Giant (Md) all on my way to work. So whatever deal is calling me for the week, I can easily leave a few minutes early and stop by quickly to score it. My only drive for a deal comes when Walgreens is having a great week. I have to drive about a 25 miles which stinks, but then there are 3 Wags within 10 miles so I just make a circle and hit all of them making the deals worth it when I can get a lot. Long winded, but my point is that you can cut a lot of at home time if you can find a couple of great bloggers (like money saving mom :)) that cover your stores and then just plan your trips around the daily activities that you already take part in.

• Kerry D. says:

We’ve just been doing this for a few months, but have saved about 30% on our grocery/household items, and do use a couple grocery stores plus CVS. At this point, our kids are all teens, and eat tremendous amounts… my 15 year old daughter is a great help in shopping (she can remember what we have in our coupon file!) and when we set up our coupons and list in advance, our shopping is very quick–faster than our old days. I’m not sure I could have done it when they were tiny… probably would have had to trade sitting with a friend and go it alone.

• Chiara says:

When I first started couponing and price matching, I was so focused in getting the most bang for my buck. After about 6 months, my energy dwindled and I started to feel tired when I get home, sometimes even crabby, which is not a way to be nice to the husband 🙁 So, I assessed where I shopped most and where I get the most deals and decided to shop in maximum two or three stores per week and never more than 1 per day (most of the stores are between home and work). I also check sales fliers to see if it’s worth the trouble to go to the store that week or not.

• Toni says:

Yes, I shop at 3 different grocery stores (Kroger, Randall’s & HEB) and CVS and Walgreens. I use a free website that combines all the weekly ads together: http://www.mygrocerydeals.com I love it!! I can also print a list to take with me.

• Christina says:

I shop at least two stores almost every week, and sometimes it’s three or four – but I keep five or six (including a local farmer’s market that is 45 minutes away) on my radar. I try to lump them all into one trip (or two). Luckily, I live in an area where I can drive to my nearest Publix and also pass a CVS . . . or drive to my nearest Kroger and also pass CVS, Walgreens and Publix – and all four are within five miles of my house.

• Heather says:

What’s holding me back? Three children (really 4, but 1 is in school), AND WINTER! It is so much harder to lug all the kids around from store to store when I have to deal with coats, socks, boots, covering the baby, baby carseat, etc. So I have been just picking whichever store has the best deals each week, and going there. Or sometimes I go at night without the kids.
    But this summer, with an older baby, I anticipate going back to my 2-3 store routine, even if I do have all 4 with me. Life is easier in the summer!

• Debbie in PA says:

Oh yes…I definitely shop at more than one store. I always check the ads for the loss leaders of the three main stores nearest to me (two are literally across the street from each other). There’s a 4th store that’s not that close but is next to the library, so I always stop in when I go to the library.

I do not shop from a menu/meal plan….sorry! But i do buy multiples of whatever is a great price, and then work my meals around what i have “in stock” at home.

• Nichole says:

I live in the northern Plains and we only have 2 grocery stores to choose in the town where I live. Neither of these stores really advertises super-great deals, maybe just few times a year. We have Wal-Mart and a Super Target recently opened, so that helps. I do use coupons and match up with the sales whenever possible but where I live, I often times can’t wait for the sale. Not to mention, our grocery stores can sometimes be “shopped out” because so many people have to utilize them. I just watch the ads like a hawk and plan our menu’s around what’s in season.

• Julie says:

I review the weekly grocery and drugstore ads and make a list for each store to supplemenet my stockpile. I paperclip the coupons to each ad, and put all the ads in the front seat of my car. Most weeks I make it to all the stores without having to make a special trip. I just stop when I’m driving by. Some weeks I miss a few and I don’t kick myself.

Thanks for all the great advice you give. It really keeps me motivated. Since I’ve begun stocking up on items at their lowest prices I’ve seen my grocery bill drop considerably and meal time is so much easier. I can usually pull together a healthy meal from my freezer and pantry with no stress.

• Adriane says:

One thing that helps me is that the grocery stores near me (Kroger, Albertson’s, Safeway…) run their sales from Wednesday to Tuesday. My weekly budget is for a calendar week (Sunday to Saturday). If I’m having a really busy week but want to take advantage of sales at Kroger and Albertsons, sometimes I’ll shop Kroger at the beginning of the sale, and wait until Sunday to shop at Albertson’s.

This also works great for weeks (like this week) where Kroger is running a great sale, and I want to really stock up. I can buy some items at the end of one week, and wait until the beginning of the next week for the rest. That way, I can still shop at other stores without going over budget.

• shirley says:

Last week was the first time I shopped at more than 1 store. I have to drive 30 min to get to a town with a larger grocery store so I decided to try it. It is not a huge town so it is worth driving. When I go to visit my brother next time, I will definitely look at Target & Walgreens as he lives in a much bigger city and if I can pick up some good deals it is worth it to me.
    I recently discovered Family Dollar, which has really great deals with store coupons & they also take manufactor coupons so I saved 30% on the items I bought there. At Hyvee I saved 32% and Walmart 50%. I have found also if I keep a price book of things I regularly buy Walmart tends to be higher than Hyvee. There were a couple of things that I bought at Walmart that had I bought them at Hyvee would have been 80-100% off w/coupon.

• Dawn says:

I have learned so much reading your blog. Thanks so much for all your research in helping to save us SAHM money!
    Since moving from MI last year to MO, I find I have had to work harder at finding ways to save (I do miss Kroger and CVS – not in our market here). The local grocery stores here are private stores and do not offer the great deals of the chain stores, however, they happen to be across the street from each other so it is easy to shop more than one store

• Prathee Selvam says:

Every monday I do volunteering in the local library. Aldi, Walgreens and local grocery store are on the way. I mostly don’t shop at Walgreens (especially not RR deals). So, Every week I’ll shop at Aldi and the local Grocery store within 1/2 hr. Once in 2 weeks I shop at Walmart.

Even though I can’t use coupon in both the stores, I save lot of my time. Moreover, I cover all the deals in Walmart shopping. As we don’t have Publix or any coupon friendly stores, this is the best bet for saving money and time.

• Erin says:

It depends on the week – usually I find I don’t have enough time to do more than one store. I work full time, so I try to only take up one evening with grocery shopping – Monday night. Often, it takes me about half an hour to an hour to clip coupons and figure out what I need to buy. Then, I leave for the store around 7:30 and get home around 8:30. Unpack the groceries… clean up a bit… time for bed! For a while I did try to go to two stores rather than just one, but it really is time consuming, often taking an extra hour. An hour doesn’t sound like much, but it is when time is already so limited. That being said, if there are spectacular deals at another store, I will try to make time to get there.

• musicalmommie says:

I am new to couponing and menu planning. I’ve just been shopping and Costco for most of my groceries and going to Von’s and Walmart for the rest. I am really saving $$ now that I’m using coupons along with the store sales and then menu planning with what is on sale and whats already in my pantry. However… I’d love to find a resource for how much stuff normally costs. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if somethings a good deal.

• Andrea Q says:

@musicalmommie, Prices vary so much from region to region that the best way to figure this out is to make your own “price book”. Use a little notebook to record the prices of the items you purchase most (25 to 30 items) and keep track for six weeks or so. You’ll see how the prices cycle and know when you’re getting a good deal.

• Sue Morrison says:

I usually shop at 3 stores. I’m lucky because I have a Publix, Winn Dixie and a Food Lion almost equidistant to my house so I can take advantage of the sales & specials at each store. I don’t necessarily go to all 3 each week but if they are having several specials I can easily hit all three in one day. I even have a Walgreens & CVS right around the same distance so I do all the stores at one time. Keep up the good work!

• Allison says:

I definitely try to shop at multiple stores if I can, but sometimes time is a big issue. One thing that I think is interesting is the decision between a healthy-sounding gourmet-type store like Whole Foods and a “regular” grocery store. This article I found has some interesting statistics on the price differences between those two (and also other random ways to save money at the supermarket): http://blog.learnvest.com/learnvest-daily/ten-tips-on-how-to-save-at-the-grocery-store/

Hope it’s helpful!

• Kim says:

I agree that everone’s situation is different and we do different things in different seasons of our lives. I recently started shopping at CVS and after just 3 weeks I see a HUGE difference. Last trip cost me $.94. My youngest is 14 months and we are thankfully heading out of winter coat season so the idea of shopping multiple stores will be so much easier. Having a list and plan for each store is HUGE as well. If you are wondering through each store without a clue, shopping multiple stores isn’t going to do much good. I can really see how having a plan is going to help me SO much. Thank you.

• Jan says:

I use 2 stores: a small local grocery and a ‘big box’ (Meijer) that are less than a 5 minute drive. I read both their ads to look for loss leaders and make my list in 2 columns (including prices/sizes/coupon amounts). Small local has better meat than Meijer and I watch their sales like a hawk. I keep the list in my purse so I can compare prices when I go to any store.
    Aldi is a bit farther, as is RiteAid and we have no nearby CVS or Kroger.

• Susan says:

In Oregon I shop the deals of the week at Albertsons, Safeway, FM, Walgreens and Rite Aid. I buy the rest if needed at Winco, they have inexpensive fruits and vegetables and stock up once a week for those. I usually try to do a few runs to differents stores 2 to 3 times a week, but I don’t want to run my life around it so I take planned days off (Sundays and Wednesdays for sure) I also shop around planned trips to not waste gas and time. My goal for a family of 5 is $250.00/month for all food and household and eating out is $50/month – we use Restaurants.com.

Thank goodness for the internet to have a “support group” for couponers and budgeters. I don’t have support from friends so this is my outlet.

• Heather says:

Since reading your site we now shop 3 to 4 stores depending on the sales. It takes a little for us to drive into a bigger town so we only hit that store if they have items we need on sale. My husband thought I was crazy when I first started doing more than one store. Now that a year has passed and the savings have piled up he is all for it. He even volunteers to watch the kids. He now understands that if I have time to think without “Mommy can I have that” every three seconds the savings are bigger. I make a very detailed list with prices and coupon savings. This helps when we make a run to Sams. There have been times when this has saved huge amounts over things we thought were a great deal. Thanks for the great posts. Cant’t wait to see what tomorrows tip is.

• Jodi says:

I definitely shop at other stores, but only if those stores are worth going to based on their sales! I only shop Target, CVS, and Rite-Aid when they have bargains to not be passed up. Don’t go out of your way! Fortunately, all these stores are enroute going to and coming from my house. For example, this week @ Target, I made 3 transactions, got free bodywash, free Venus razor, then paid $2 for Prevacid (which I made money off of because I had the $4 coupon plus the mail-in rebate), then paid $2 for 4 boxes of cereal! Because of planning and a little time, I was in and out of the store within 30 minutes, and I had a 4 year old with me. The money I saved was well worth that 30 minute stop. Thanks moneysavingmom for all you do!

• I have several great stores within about a 5-10 minute drive from my house. I usually shop at Farm Fresh (right across from my house), Harris Teeter and Walgreen’s. WAGS and HT are right next to each other, so I always shop those together. Plus I can just drive that way to the Y. I always shop WAGS first because I can use the RR I earn to pay at HT!

Kroger is about 15-20 minutes away, so I don’t shop there regularly. However, if I’m planning to go to my in-laws or another store in the area I make a list and grab my binder to hit Kroger on the way back home. A little planning and you don’t run around crazy and waste a ton of gas.

• Andrea says:

I do not go to several different stores in a weeks time. I am a full time working Mom and I do not have the extra time to shop around. I do go to a local grocery store, Gaint of PA, Rite Aid and CVS. They are all within a five mile radius of my home. I wish I had more time to shop around but in life there is a season for everything.

I love your articles and all the helpful tips. You have inspired me to start couponing and going to drug stores. This has saved me money. I went from spending $100 to $125 for a family of three to $75 a week. I am trying to get my spending down even more. You are a true inspiration to me. Thanks!

• Darcie says:

I don’t have a lot of the stores mentioned on this blog since I’m in Iowa. I shop at Fareway for groceries and Target for everything else. They don’t always have the best deals but I’m all for convenience. I also prefer these stores over Walmart and other competitors because of their business practices. That’s more important to me than saving a few pennies on something. I use coupons as much as possible and stock up when things are on sale. I could do better but I’ve already cut my budget considerably just practicing a few things.

• Andrea Q says:

We have a variety of stores, but I’m finding that two things make the most difference in our spending: 1. planning the week’s menu around the sales flyers and 2. focusing on saving money on toiletries through CVS and Walgreens deals.

• Lisa says:

I do shop at more than one store, but not always in one week. I am trying to get organized to go to the stores that I get the most discounts at every other week and the other stores once a month. I then stock up on the things I use often in order to last 2 weeks. This helps with my schedule and limited time for grocery shopping.

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy