MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Homemade Pizza (in Less Than 30 Minutes)

We love homemade pizza at our house. It’s filling, inexpensive, and easy-to-make! Best of all, though, in our opinion, it’s so much better than carryout or frozen pizzas!

I’ve tried many different pizza crust recipes and this one is not only our favorite, it’s also one of the quickest to make. The pizza, from start to finish, can be ready to pop in the oven in less than 30 minutes.

Do you make homemade pizza at your home? If so, what are some of your favorite toppings?

98 Comments

• jessica says:

We make our own too, it is so much more economical. My husband loves meats on his, anything from leftover cooked chicken diced and with bbq sauce to ham or bacon, whatever is around! I love veggies on mine, especially fresh tomatoes from my summer garden. Yum.

• Leslie says:

Hi,

We use the crust recipe from the Tightwad Gazette…very similar. I love the idea of adding herbs and spices to the crust. I’m going to have to try that. Our favorite here is Taco. We spread refried beans (thinned with a little enchalada sauce) as the sauce, we add chicken, pork or beef, seasoned with taco seasoning next, then we top with colby-jack or mexican blend cheese and bake until golden. Then we add shredded lettuce and diced fresh tomatoes. I’m going to have to try some of these recipes that mentioned fresh tomatoes and artichokes…they sound so good…=)

• Nadine Miller says:

I myself use the same pizza dough recipe as you do, only I add garlic powder and a little Italian seasoning. One of my favorite pizzas is roasted vegetables on pesto sauce. I make my own pesto sauce using olive oil, fresh garlic, Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese. While I’m doing that I’ve got vegetables (sliced mushrooms, red and green peppers, and onions) roasting in the oven. They’ve been tossed with a tablespoon of olive oil and some freshly pressed garlic. On the crust I put my pesto sauce, then mozzerella cheese, next roasted vegies and then black olives. So yummy! We think it tastes like something from Olive Garden.

• carla sorensen says:

Hi Crystal,
    My husband is a pastor and I try to keep Saturday nights quiet and stress free for him while he is finishing up his Sunday preparations. So for us, that means homemade pizza almost every Saturday for dinner. However, it has never been” totally” homemade, because I buy the crusts! So, now you all have encouraged and inspired me to try making my own! I love saving money, too. 🙂 As far as toppings, we like lots of veggies and pineapple. I try to plan ahead, but sometimes it is fun to just add what we have and it is always good! I think I will try artichoke hearts this Saturday, after reading one or more of the comments.
    Thanks and God bless!

• mistyG says:

i used this recipe the first time you posted it and i have used it ever since. i like to add heat flour and honey to it. in fact, i am making this pizza today for a playdate. thanks for giving us such great recipes and inspiration to be great moms! mistyG

• Lana says:

I have had that same recipe for over 20 years-my 5 kids were raised on it. We still make pizza every Saturday night even though we are just 3 now. The pizza idea with the Italian dressing, chicken, onions and feta sounds wonderful and I am going to give that a try. Thanks!

• Robin says:

YES! I do our pizza at home. A stiff yeast dough, half ww half white. Simple sauce of tomato paste and a little italian seasoning & water, mozz cheese, then the kids love mushrooms, or onions, or mexican stuff. If I want one for myself I put anchovies and hot peppers, LOL.

I cook the pizzas on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, in a very hot oven. Yum.

• Alexis says:

I gotta try this recipe! I love to make pizza at home with 5 y/o brother, but we always use the refrigerated pillsbury dough (it’s good), but this recipe looks like it would be more wholesome and fun to make. We are more a traditional pizza kind of family, it’s usually pepperoni, and black olives. But my fav is tomatoes and banana peppers! =)

• Ace1234 says:

We just made this last Friday night as a “test run” for Lent. I used the recipe in the Tightwad Gazette which I think is similar to yours. We’ll be having cheese pizzas every Friday night during Lent.

• I love buying yeast super cheap at Sam’s and then making this recipe – http://www.mummydeals.org/2008/10/mama-bs-kitchen_23.html. We’re pretty boring with toppings as hubby is fussy but these pizzas are soooo good. I did just find wholewheat pizza dough already made at trader Joe’s for $1.29 so i gotta try that too!

• Do you have a favorite sauce? I have yet to find a store-bought sauce that we can all agree is yummy and I haven’t yet tried to find a home recipe. Any suggestions?

• Kimberly says:

I just found this pizza sauce recipe that was super easy but made it my own by adding onion and other seasonings. The original just called for oregano. Here’s what I did this evening and it turned out fantastic:

1 15oz can tomato sauce
      1 6oz can tomato paste
      1/4 to 1/2 c. diced onion (optional)
      Avocado oil (or whichever oil you like but I use avocado oil for it’s health benefits and high smoke point without going rancid when heated)
      1 tsp or so pat of butter
      Red chili flakes, about a pinch or so
      1 tbsp Italian seasoning
      1 tsp oregano, crushed in palms
      1 tsp basil, crushed in palms
      1 tbsp granulated onion
      2 tbsp granulated garlic (probably 3-4 cloves fresh, I didn’t have fresh or I’d have used it instead)

In a sauce pan, add about a tablespoon of avocado oil. Over medium heat, add pinch of red chili flakes and let sizzle about a minute. Add diced onion and butter and cook until translucent. Add Italian seasoning, oregano, basil, granulated onion and garlic and stir, cooking to bloom the seasonings, about a minute. Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir. Let simmer on low while you prepare the crust recipe. This is enough sauce for several pizzas so I plan to freeze the left over sauce for future use.

I also use the above crust recipe but I do let it rise/rest after kneading because it makes it easier to work with and doesn’t snap back when rolling it out. By the time the crust was kneadrd and back in the bowl to rest I turned the sauce off to cool.

• Taylor says:

I use one can of tomato paste and 1/4 jar of Garden Select or Primo pasta sauce or marinara, if I’m making a thin crust pizza. Then I season to taste with salt & pepper, fresh garlic, dried parsley, basil, oragano, paprika, and a hint of brown sugar. If the sauce I add doesn’t have minced onion already in it, then I add minced red onion as well 🙂

• Lori says:

I found this recipe for Par-Baked Pizza Crust several months ago: http://convivial.blogs.com/my_weblog/2008/01/kims-super-easy.html
    It is now a regular part of my once a month cooking. This crust is partially baked and frozen. Then you simply take it from freezer to oven after adding your favorite toppings. It is crazy-good!

• Jenna says:

This is the exact recipe I use! I haven’t made homemade pizza regularly until I found this recipe. We probably make it once a week now. Our favorite toppings are ham and pineapple!

• Krista says:

We had homemade pizza on Monday night. I thought I was cool until I started reading your comments…man these people really no how to make authentic homemade pizza! I have stuck with the same ol’, same ol’, pepperoni & cheese, or supreme. I’ll have to venture out and try something else.

• Heather says:

We make buffalo chicken pizza here (not for the kids). I toss the chopped cooked chicken in buffalo wing sauce and spread a thin layer of sauce on the dough, too. Then we usually use colby and monterey jack cheese as the topping. It’s so good and satisfies that wing craving without getting the expensive wings!
    -Heather

• Hilary says:

I didn’t read through every thing so I apologize if someone mentioned this, but when we do homemade pizza I make our dough in the bread machine. It works super slick!

• Carrie says:

Crystal, that is a GREAT looking homemade pizza! I’m so surprised that it has no rise or rest time at all!

I just started making a no-knead pizza dough and it is AWESOME! I’ve tried several different recipes and it is by far the best one!

Thanks for sharing yours!!

• As a family of 10 we make pizza every week.
    My husband makes a great philly cheese steak pizza
    Check it out on our blog!
    God Bless, Kathy

• As a family of 10 we make pizza every week.
    My husband makes a great philly cheese steak pizza
    Check it out on our blog!
    God Bless, Kathy

• Karen says:

Wow, this recipe is great, you don’t even need to rise it. I’ll have to give this one a try as my family loves to have homemade pizza. Thanks for posting it.

• Jami says:

I’ve used this recipe for years, too! It came from a 20-year-old Betty Crocker cookbook I got when I married. Since then, whenever I see an “easy” pizza recipe I laugh, because they usually have you let it rise for and hour like regular dough – and I think ours is great as is!

I like pesto, chicken, sweet onion, parmesan and feta cheese, and maybe artichoke hearts if I have them – yummm.

• Jenna says:

Our pizza is pretty boring – pepperoni usually, but we love it. I use the breadmaker to make the dough…very easy and quick for me!

• Sarah says:

Mexican pizza! Salsa for the sauce, taco meat, onions, peppers, maybe black olives, cheddar cheese. Eat with sour cream and guacamole. You can top it with shredded lettuce after it comes out of the oven.

• Adrienne says:

I was going to make pizza anyway last night so you can imagine my happiness to see an easier recipe… and it was a winner! TFS!

• Alisha Hughes says:

HOMEmade Pizza is a YES! I found that I really like to put pizza seasoning into the crust and mix cheeses on top. YUmmy. Now I want pizza for dinner.

• irma says:

I tried this recipe for lunch today. It was very easy and quick. I double the recipe and it made 3 pizza and 6 bread sticks.
    1. I sauteed sliced red peppers and fresh spinach leaves.
    2. Sausage
    3. Pepperoni

• Rae says:

Thank you so much for this recipe. I’m definitely going to try it (maybe tonight). And thank you to the readers that had some great tips! My mind is going in circles right now with all the ideas I have. My personal pizz favorite is alfredo pizza w/ alfreddo sauce, chicken (or shrimp, or imitation crab), spinach, mushrooms, and some mozarella cheese. I also love Domino’s Philly Cheesesteak pizza so I might try to make my own version of that since they only have it every few years 🙁

• Rae says:

Ok so I tried it tonight and although I didn’t like the sauce I made (it was ketchup mixed with bbq sauce), I did like the toppings I used… smoked turkey sausage, cheddar cheese, white cheddar spread, and tomatoes. And I LOVED the crust. It was soooo good. It will taste amazing with a better sauce LOL I’m going to use an alfredo or tomato sauce next time (didn’t have any of those in the pantry)

• Robin Fulton says:

So I made pizza tonight using your crust recipe! It was sooo good! I blogged about it and linked you to my page! So thank you for a quick and tasty meal!!!

• Lura says:

We tried your dough recipe last night. It passed the test! We made it with half bbq chicken (leftover from Sunday) and half bologna. Thanks for sharing!

• Janna says:

I just wanted to share that I LOVE your pizza dough recipe and we have been enjoying lots of homemade pizzas over the last few months…YOU MUST try TACO PIZZA!!! Our local pizza joint makes it and I thought I’d give it a whirl…used leftover taco meat and added the cheese, lettuce, tomatoes–use picante or taco sauce in place of pizza sauce…I posted about it here (pic and directions): http://jannawilson.typepad.com/inspiredby/2009/02/sold-out.html

• Monica says:

I made homemade pizza for the first time last night using your recipe, and my family loved it! My husband said that it was better than take-out pizza from a local Italian restaurant and my 3 kids devoured it.

I never made homemade pizza before and your recipe was so easy.

Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe with us! I can see that this pizza is going to become one of our family’s favorites.

• Rena says:

I had to make a meal plan change at the last minute and remembered you posting this quick pizza dough recipe. It was easy and tasted good. It will become my regular pizza dough recipe. Thanks for sharing!

• sue says:

I usually make the crust in my bread machine – I got it for a wedding gift almost 12 years ago and it still works great! I use 1/2 whole wheat flour, 1/2 white. I have been experimenting with even more whole wheat, and that has been working fine. As for toppings: My husband and son are booooring… Cheese for my son, pepperoni for my husband. I like to try ham, bacon, ground hamburger, onion, red and green peppers, olives,mushrooms, tomatoes… basically anything I have in the fridge that gives my side more variety!! I also add minced garlic to the dough, use olive oil instead of veg oil, and like to add parmesean cheese, basil, and oregano to the crust. I roll it onto my pizza stone that’s lightly coated with cornmeal – yum! It gives a good texture, and makes it completely non stick. We do this once a week – usually Friday night.

• Brandy says:

I just made this tonight and it was DELICIOUS! And pretty easy. The only substitute that I made was olive oil for vegtable oil, but otherwise everything was the same.

I went ahead and made a second crust since I had all the ingredients out and popped it in the freezer. Thank you so much for that tip!

• LANA says:

OK, just tried this recipe tonight…YUMMY! We made it with whole wheat flour and I have NEVER tasted a better dough! Crispy on the o0utside and nice and chewy in the middle..THANK YOU!

• Harvey says:

Pizza: savings tip.
    – buy several jars of tomato sauce when they are on sale
    – when you make pizza, use 1/3 of one jar
    – freeze the rest in 2 ziplock bags for the next times
    -> No more partly empty jar forgotten in the fridge.

PS: tomato sauce with no meat will preserve better.

• Linzy says:

I have used this recipe for years, which I also got from an old Betty Crocker cookbook, but in mine it doesn’t say to knead the dough. Instead, once you’ve mixed the ingredients, add flour until it forms a ball that pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Give it 20 additional strong strokes, cover and let sit for 5 minutes (tip: if you let it sit 30 minutes it will be even lighter). I also make breadsticks etc with this recipe and for pizza dough I often add spices like garlic to the dough itself (but for every tsp. of garlic powder you use you must use an equal amount of sugar so it isn’t bitter).

• Rekha says:

I’ve attempted pizza dough before I had kids and failed gloriously. But let me tell you, THANK YOU so much for your recipe. So dang easy!! Kids approved!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy