Upside-Down Pizza

Upside-Down-Pizza

Guest post from Brigette Shevy

The first time I ever made this recipe was with my great-grandma. Every Saturday for many years, Crystal and I would spend several hours at our great-grandparent’s house. After the cleaning was finished, I loved helping my Grandmother in the kitchen. Even well into her 80’s and 90’s, she loved trying new recipes!

This was one we tried together – and I liked it so much that I copied it out and brought it home with me. It quickly became a staple in our family’s recipe box!

Upside-Down Pizza is an easy, kid-friendly, all-in-one dish. Add a bag of frozen veggies, and dinner is ready!

I rarely follow the recipe exactly, as I love mixing it up with different pizza toppings and spices. Feel free to improvise! (Note: If you end up adding a bunch of salty toppings such as olives or pepperoni, you will probably need to add less salt than the recipe calls for.)

Upside-Down Pizza

This is a fun variation on pizza that even my pickiest eaters gobble up. If you are looking for something a little different to serve for dinner that only uses basic ingredients and can be at the last minute (or made up ahead of time and frozen) – this is definitely a recipe to add to your “must-try” list!

Upside-Down Pizza

Brigette is a full-time wife and mother who is blessed with three amazing bundles of energy and another on the way. She enjoys music, experimenting in the kitchen, homeschooling her children, finding great deals, long-distance running, and anything chocolate.

Comments

My family loves upside down pizza! Except we call it “popover pizza” for some reason. :) We haven’t made ethos in forever though, I should totally do that tonight. :)

2. Heather says

I just made this almost exact recipe last night for the first time, with a recipe I got from Christy at Southern Plate.

3. Nicole says

Crystal I was wondering if you take suggestions for recipes? I have a delicious smoothie recipe that takes minutes to make and is rather inexpensive..uses ingredients I usually almost always have.

Yum! The upside-down pizza we make is slightly different (Italian sausage, tomato sauce, etc.), but I agree that it’s easy and yummy! I always double the base and freeze half, which makes for a super easy dinner another night down the road.

5. Mrs. R. says

YUM! We’ll try anything that’s proven to be kid-friendly! And it warms my heart to hear about your many Saturdays with your great-grandparents’ house—helpin’g and being helped. :)

Just one question Do you usually add the vegs to the casserole itself; and, if so, is it still kid-friendly? Thanks!

• Brigette says

I just went back and re-read what I wrote, and it was confusing – sorry about that! (guess I should edit the post!). I don’t add the bag of frozen veggies to the casserole itself – just serve them on the side. You CAN add extra pizza-friendly veggies/toppings right into the casserole though (mushrooms, peppers, olives, etc.), if your kids like them. :)

6. Bonnie says

I made a version of this but used sloppy joe sauce since I had that on hand. The crust was great! I had tried things like this before but always hated the crust…they always tasted like a soggy biscuit. This was really good. We love popovers so don’t know why this had never occurred to me. This crust could work with fruit as well. Thank you!

7. Amy says

I have been making this recipe for years and it is a favorite of my family. We like lots of sauce and lots of cheese so we double both and also always add pepperoni. I also add garlic and italian seasoning to the hamburger while I am browning it to make it very flavorful. We buy our meat in 2 pound packages so I just freeze half to make it quick the next time I am making this.

8. Sarah says

We made this and decorated with pepperoni in the shape of the Olympic Rings for dinner tonight. The pepperoni stayed on top and

9. Sarah says

It made a delicious and fun meal to kick off the Olympics! Thanks for a great versatile recipe!