30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Day #4 Update

During the month of April, I’m encouraging my readers to participate in a 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge (read more here, if you missed my announcement about this challenge last week). Every week day morning at 9 a.m., I’ll post the daily project and every evening around 6 p.m. EST, I’ll post an update and link-up.

Well, we had a last-minute hiccup with all our technology before my talk tonight and while I was supposed to be writing this post, I was instead frantically try to get my Powerpoint to work and notes to pull up on my iPad. The mic also wouldn’t work.

It was just one of those nights. But regardless, the talk went well and I loved getting to meet so many of you.

And now I’m finally back in my hotel room getting to this post! :)

Clearly, my laundry room needed some work. Oy!

I’m not sure I want to know what dripped down from the dryer onto the floor there.

I had the “brilliant” idea to vacuum up all the lint with the vacuum. But that did go so hot since our vacuum isn’t the best (our Dyson finally bit the dust awhile back and we replaced it with something cheap for the time being. I think you get what you pay for when it comes to vacuums!)

Ah, so much better!

Join in the Chatter

::Want to blog about this challenge? If you’re blogging through this challenge with me, be sure to leave your link to your direct post on linky below. Plus, if you’d like to post your daily posts to the 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge Pinterest Group, just shoot me an email (moneysavingmom @ gmail dot com) and I’ll invite you.

::Want to follow along on Twitter or Instagram? I’ll also be sharing some of my cleaning pictures on my Facebook Page, my Twitter account, and my Instagram account. I’d love to have you do the same or join in the discussion on Twitter and Instagram. Just follow hashtag #Cleanin30 to see what others are tweeting and Instagramming about this challenge!

photo credit

Other posts in the 30 Day House Cleaning Challenge series

1. Join us for the 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge in April!
  2. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #1
  19. 30 Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #11 Update
  20. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Projects #12-14
  21. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #12-14 Update
  22. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #15
  23. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #15 Update
  24. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #16
  25. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #16 Update (And help! What do I do about the boy bathroom smell?!)
  26. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #17
  40. 30 Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #26
  41. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #29
  42. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #29 Update
  43. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #30
  44. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #30 Update

Comments

I spend a mint on my vacuums! I use them heavily and definitely feel you DO get what you pay for. However, You, would probably find an amazing deal!

Lisa

2. J says

Boy, that is the truth about vacuums. Each time we tried to save money we were totally unsatisfied with the performance. Hard lesson for us to learn. You planning on another Dyson?

I was thinking on going with another Dyson, but I’ve got to look into the Shark Navigator that Rachel just recommended!

• Kristen says

We have two large dogs, three cats, three adults and two small children in our home and LOVE our Shark Navigator. One of the best parts is the filters are easily rinsed, no need to buy expensive replacements like our last vacuum.

Another Shark Navigator (lift away) fan here. We don’t splurge on many items, but after getting a dog and cleaning some houses for extra money, our cheap vacuum wasn’t cutting it. My husband agreed to buying one, and it’s fantastic. If you want to test one out before hand- I’d gladly let you try mine.

My Mom recently went to one of the local vacuum stores and took home a couple different high brand machines and she found that to be the best experience ever! She could then test them out for all of the things like cleaning the lint out of the dryer or cleaning the cat hair on the furniture or cleaning the angled staircase. It was a great experience and she found one machine was too noisy for her and the another brand was quiet and so easily to use. Might be worth it to try it out since you can return it the next day. lol Get a clean house out of it! I’m tempted to try it myself.

• WilliamB says

The Frugal Girl’s vacuum broke recently and she solicited really useful input. Mine was that my Miele cannister is going strong after 20+ years, and has never needed a repair.

3. Rachel says

Oh no…you dont have to pay a fortune for a vac. The Shark Navigator. My best friend swore by it for 3 years…I finally got one myself several months ago and I will sing it from the mountaintops, this vacuum ROCKS! It is simply amazing.

Hiccups and all your dryer is sure to appreciate the love!
    We can finally see our computer desk around here. One more toddler safe surface!

We used to go through a vacuum almost every year. We purchased a used Kirby vacuum from craigslist and it has been a really good vacuum for us. Works really well on all the long hair from my daughter and myself and the pet hair too.

6. Ashlee says

Woohoo. One challenge I get to skip. The only good thing about not having laundry in our apartment. Thanks for the chance to be grateful for something that usually irritates me :)

7. Allison says

I LOVE my Shark. I bought it from bed bath and beyond. If you have the original box and receipt they have a lifetime return policy. I recently returned my 3 year old shark because one of my attachments broke. I had no problems and I even upgraded to the newer fancier Shark.

8. Marie says

Today was a crazy day! I literally only had 1 hour of free time before I had to get kids from school and 2 of their friends for playdates. But I have gotten so much more done this week thanks to the challenge. Excited to see what the challenge will be for today.

9. Lana says

My laundry room is on my regular chore list and comes up for cleaning on Saturday this week so I tackled the thread rack on the wall in there. I cannot even begin to tell you how much dust I cleaned off the rack and all the spools of thread. I think all of the thread changed color after it was dusted.

Wow! Today went SO much better than anticipated! At 18 weeks pregnant, my energy is FINALLY starting to return! My little guy ended up taking a 2 1/2 hour nap today, and in that time I got SO much done! I’m hoping it’s the same thing today…but since I got so much extra work done yesterday…maybe I’ll take some time to relax today too ;)

11. Sarah says

As I suspected, I was gone literally ALL day so I only had a few spare moments to work on my dining room project. But the day was productive in other areas and things that needed to be done got done, so I can’t be upset about that. I’ll just be trying to accomplish my dining room task piece by piece over the next few “easier” challenge days. I can just picture a “caught up” house where all these tasks actually can be accomplished in 20 mins a day! It’s a goal I am definitely looking forward to.

12. Heather says

Had a Sears Kenmore canister for 7 years and loved it. Probably would have lasted longer, but there was some kid-inflicted damage. Went against my better judgement and bought the high-end Dyson canister. Hate it! I hope it dies soon, so I can justify getting another Sears Kenmore.

• kay says

My parents bought an avacado green Kenmore canister vac when they were married over thirty years ago. It still works! They have been through multiple other vaccuums they hate. It is not the one they use on a regular basis, because it is starting to fall apart, but whenever their newer ones break down (about once a year), they pull out the old, green Kenmore (with the duck taped together hose)! After having three vaccuums which were awful the first five years we were married, I finally bought a Kenmore canister vac, also. The funniest thing is that mine is almost the same Colorado (as lime green is an “in” color)! I’ve had it almost eight years now, and it still is great. Last year I had to replace the roller as the wood piece was cracked clear through, but it was still worth it!

• Haila says

I actually have an old Electrolux Super J canister vacuum with a metallic gold finish that used to belong to my grandmother. It’s almost 40 years old, and still does an amazing job.

If it ever dies, I might have to look for another refurbished “classic” model. My vacuum repairman tells me “they don’t make them like they used to”.

13. Melissa says

Wow, go you! Your after picture looks great! :) My chore for the day was to try to get my oil changed on my car after work. I had a poor plan and so my success was reflected in that plan. lol. I assumed the new Walmart I hadn’t been to yet had a tire and lube department. oops. Let’s just say that task is still on my to do list. So instead I came home and deep cleaned our extra bathroom which I didn’t get to on the day I did my master bathroom.

14. Kim in Cali says

I spent a few minutes in my office and cleaned the desk off, put down the diaper drying rack, and spiffed things up a bit in there. :)

I love our Dyson! If you still have your old Dyson, have you looked into getting it repaired? Our Sears repairs Dysons and it turned out it just needed to have the cord replaced…cheap fix.

I ran out of rocket fuel. I stayed up late so I didn’t feel motivated to clean. I will definitely get to my laundry. In the mean time, don’t miss my trick to look tidy even when you aren’t. Shh! ;)

I totally bombed on this one. My laundry room looks like a tornado hit it, so I will be dealing with it over the weekend and will report back next week. But thanks for the assignment; it’s really kicked me into gear!

18. Melissa says

When my dyson was on the fritz, I took it to http://www.mcdonaldsvacuums.com/ and they cleaned it plus replaced the broken part for under $50. They were WONDERFUL to work with. Very pleasant and didn’t try to sell me anything I didn’t need. Have a wonderful day. I’m really enjoying this series!!