Freezer-Friendly Italian Lemon Chicken

Guest post from Michelle of The Willing Cook

Yeast is one of those ingredients that is becoming banned from more and more people’s diet lists, for various health reasons. I recently did some food allergy cooking for a friend who had about 50 items to which she was allergic, yeast being one of them.

I wanted to serve her a salad, but did not know what to do with the vinegar (yeast is often an ingredient in vinegar) found in most store-bought and homemade salad dressings (not to mention the other ingredients she had to avoid).

After doing some research, I came up with an Italian dressing recipe that turned out delicious.

I recently concocted the dressing again, this time as a marinade for our chicken. My husband’s response, “That’s the way marinade on chicken is supposed to taste. I couldn’t quit eating it.”  It really was that good, very healthy, and simple to make.

Michelle is blessed to stay home with her three children (ages 10, 7, and 4), while her husband works to provide. When she’s not experimenting with allergy-friendly meals, she’s blogging about it at The Willing Cook. Through the Willing Cook, her hope is that you gain peace of mind in your kitchen (and your pocket book) and are able to serve those you love who suffer with food allergies.

Comments

1. Lana says

Bless you for cooking for your yeast allergic friend. I was allergic to yeast for 17 years and most people were terrified to cook anything for me.

When you see your friend drowning in a sea of despair because of newly discovered allergies and you have the ability to help, I think it is both our joy and our obligation to do so. Even though I have never had to deal with as many allergies as she did, I know the nuts & bolts of allergy cooking. It was my pleasure to come along side her.

2. Wendy says

I’m not a whiz in the kitchen (to put it mildly…). So I have to ask…how would you transition this into a crock pot recipe? I hope that’s not a silly question…I have just botched too many recipes over the years :).

Wendy,

I haven’t made this in the crockpot, but all you would do is the following..

– If you’re making it fresh (not from the freezer), whisk together all the marinade ingredients. Put the chicken in the crockpot and pour marinade over it. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until chicken is fully cooked.

-From the freezer, allow chicken to thaw completely and empty the freezer bag into the crockpot (marinade should have been frozen with the chicken) and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until chicken is fully cooked.

I hope that works for you.

Michelle

3. Carey says

Thank you for this recipe. I needed to do something today with some chicken breasts I bought on sale and this fit the bill nicely. I love how easy it is and it’s nice to have a recipe in mind if I’m ever cooking for someone who can’t have yeast.

Thank you. This sounds absolutely delicious and a bonus that it can be made up ahead of time as a freezer meal. Will add extra chicken to my grocery list for tomorrow.