Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole

Freezer-Friendly Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole

Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole is delicious, filling, frugal, and so freezer-friendly! If you freeze the bags flat, you can store them on their side like filing folders to fit a lot in a small freezer.

Did you do any freezer cooking over the past two days? If so, I’d love to see the results of your efforts! Link up your blog posts below or tell us about your success in the comments.

Comments

It can change texture a little bit, but in this particular recipe it seems to hold up well. You definitely don’t want to overcook it and you want to make sure to drain it well.

Victoria, I have frozen plain cooked rice, and it comes out great! I think the most important thing is, as Crystal said, being sure it is not overcooked.
      Looking forward to trying this recipe–it looks delicious!

I made the chicken, broccoli and rice casserole. I only made one batch since I had not made it before but I did taste it and I should have made a double batch, it is really good. I left the cheese out of mine and made my own dairy free soup so it would be dairy free for my family. I also used some of my baking mix to make some cinnamon twist scones but they didn’t make it into the freezer. Over the weekend I got some round steak on sale and packaged some up for beef and celery, some to grill and a crockpot dish.

• Christa says

Did you make a dairy free cream of chicken soup? If so, can you post your recipe! My family has a lot of allergies, so a lot of Crystal’s recipes as is would not be suitable.

I made 8 meals today and parts of 7 more!! I made 2 pans of chicken cordon bleu, 3 bags of sloppy joes, 3 bags of rosemary porkchops, 2lbs of taco meat, 3 lbs of meat for lasagna casserole, 1 recipe burrito filling, and 2 lbs of meat for pizza casserole!! My nine-month-pregnant ankles are swollen beyond recognition, but I know I’ll be grateful when I’m exhausted from those sleepless nights with a newborn!! Thanks for the motivation to stock the freezer!!!

3. tracie says

i made nutter butter cookies and banana pancake muffins today. Both turned out great and the kids loved them.

4. Sensitiveandcentsible says

This looks great. I might try it with homemade cream soups so I can make it gluten free. Thanks for the inspiration.

I can only make 3 cups of rice at a time…what should I do with the cooked rice while I cook the rest of it? fridge? I really want to make this as my family loves all the ingredients. I think I would like to make a mix of a couple different rices in it :)

• Meredith says

If you are making it consecutively then you can just put it in a bowl and leave it on the counter. It won’t hurt the rice to be out while you cook the rest. It will dry out if kept in the fridge for too long if there isn’t any moisture with it.

• Cassi says

It will be at least 15 minutes between each batch although I suppose I can make one in the microwave and one in the rice cooker so that I have 6 cups at once…maybe it would be best to mix the rice with the soup as soon as each batch is done?

• Lois says

Chicken, turkey, ham, pork (loin, chops), whatever meat you’d like would probably go well with this. I gotta get busy!

6. Rebecca says

Thank you!! Never knew this could be frozen, and it’s one of my family’s favorites! I know what I am doing tomorrow!

7. Mialee says

Just wanted to thank you for this freezer series. I happened to find it a couple days ago. It’s PERFECT as I’m trying to prepare for the arrival of baby #4. THANK YOU!!!

8. Robyn says

Is there anything to substitute for the cream soups? I really don’t like them so I stay away from any recipe that calls for them, but this looks good!

You can use either canned soups or homemade cream soup (see the links for that in the recipe next to the canned soup on the ingredient list).

9. Leslie says

Do you make your cream of chicken/mushroom soup or used the canned? Does it save that much $$$ to home make it?

Most people make it to avoid the processed stuff in the canned soups. I’ve done both and would say that making it yourself is a little less expensive (not that much compared to Aldi prices) but it is definitely better for you.

This looks great. I may be able to get my kids to eat broccoli with this recipe. I am very knew to freezer cooking and I have always wanted to learn how to do it. The recipes are very helpful.

11. stacy says

I can make this with what I already have in my kitchen. I’m making this for wednesday night. thanks :)

12. Heather says

Thank you for this recipe. I will have to try it out. I may have to double it – my family must be big eaters – whe we eat a casserole – we need a 9 X 13 pan and we clean every last drop – so if I double this, I could get four nights instead of two! :-)

13. Tammi says

This looks yummy and I know it will be a hit with my family. But a quick question…

How many whole chicken breasts to make 4 cups of chicken? 1 per cup?

Thanks!!

I usually gauge about one breast = one cup. It varies a little, but with a recipe like this (and with most recipes that you put chopped chicken in) the amount of chicken doesn’t have to be exact.

14. Rebekah says

We’re not big fans of the texture of frozen cooked chicken… do you think mixing it up raw would work if I extend the cooking time?

15. Emilie says

Do you think you could make this and freeze a small amount in sandwhich bags to microwave on a plate for lunches at work? The rice and chicken are cooked already. And is cream soup really ready to eat even though we usually cook it, right? The cheese would melt.
    Hmmmm.

16. Alissa says

I’m assuming that the homemade versions of the “cream of” soups are a full soup, whereas the cans are condensed…If that’s the case, do you add the 1 can of water to your canned soup to make it the same amount as the homemade soup?

17. Wanda says

I just made half a batch (didn’t have enough ingredients for an entire batch) and put one casserole in the oven and one in the freezer! YAY! I think this will be a winner at our house. Thank you for delicious no-fuss meals that are family friendly!
    May you be blessed as you ‘lead’ women to be better managers, moms and home-makers.

18. Misty says

I made the Chicken, Broccoli, Rice Casserole. It’s very difficult if you don’t have a bowl that holds all of the ingredients but it tasted delicious. I also made a batch of BBQ meatballs, a loaf of garlic parmesan bread, and a batch of freezer strawberry jam. I’m so tired! :-D

19. Karen says

I think I need a second freezer. Just cleaned and froze 2 cases of strawberries. And I had to juggle to fit them in the freezer.

20. Michelle V says

Any thoughts on baking first then freezing single servings and reheating in the microwave?

21. stacy says

I have some left over cooked pasta from Lasagna Casserole. I’ll probably use that instead of rice.

22. Mindy says

Can’t wait to try this! Looks YUMMY! Have a dumb question. I have never cooked rice. Do you just get the regular rice or minute rice? Also about how many cups of uncooked rice would I need? What is the avg time to cook rice? Thanks!!

23. Caiti says

I just made a batch of this today and I am so excited about it! This is my first freezer meal ever!! I am use to freezing my meats but I have never made a meal to freeze. I have a feeling I will be doing this so much more. Thank you for the recipe!

24. Katy says

My family makes something similar, only we mix in a little bit of light miracle whip too for a little bit of zip. With the quantites you have there, maybe 1 cup? 1.5 cups?