This Week’s Gluten-Free Menu

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie — yum!

I’m headed to speak the MomLife Bootcamp Friday through Sunday of this week, so I’m planning some simple meals for when I’m gone and hoping to have the freezer stocked with some quick snacks to grab, too.

Here’s this week’s menu plan:

Breakfasts

Granola bars (on the way to church!)
Oatmeal, fresh carrot/apple/orange juice
Scrambled eggs, fruit
Lemon Cornmeal Pancakes (I’m planning to sub coconut flour for the flour in this recipe.), fruit
Cereal x 3

Lunches

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie, salad
Pumpkin Apple Pie Muffins, Hard-boiled eggs, veggies
Kiwi Avocado Green Tea and Coconut Shake, Skinny Monkey Cookies
Homemade Carrot Chips, Rice & beans
Salmon, veggies, fruit, corn chips
Leftovers x 2

Dinners

Build-Your-Own Haystacks
Marinated chicken, steamed veggies, fruit salad, rice
Goulash, tossed salad
Hamburgers, potatoes, steamed veggies, fruit
Dinner with extended family x 2
Dinner out

Freezer Cooking

Skinny Monkey Cookies
Raw Cookie Dough Bites
5 Minute Reese’s Peanut Butter Bars

What’s on your menu this week? Share details and/or your link to your menu plan in the comments.

Comments

1. Andrea says

Coconut flour is *very* different from regular flour, mostly due to the fiber content. You can’t substitute it 1-for-1 for regular flour without adjusting the eggs and possibly the liquid in the recipe.

To substitute GF flour for regular flour in a recipe, try using a blend like Better Batter or Meister’s. I have had excellent results with both. Nicole at GF on a Shoestring (www.glutenfreeonashoestring.com) has tons of awesome recipes and she recommends Better Batter (or “BB”).

Like Andrea said, coconut flour requires lots of eggs and a different liquid ratio.

2. Amy says

Just FYI, if you havent subbed coconut flour in a recipe before, be careful. You usually need a lot more liquid with it!

Posted my meal plan today, too- 7 Tasty Dinners. I recently subscribed to a CSA “farm box” so I have to plan the side dishes on the fly (since they are comprised of the mystery vegetables in my box).

I’m defrosting some left over Tomato Free Sauce for gluten free pasta tonight (http://glutenfreedairyfreenj.blogspot.com/2011/07/tomato-free-pasta-sauce-recipe-gluten.html) and planning on roasting some red peppers to make chicken cacciatore (http://glutenfreedairyfreenj.blogspot.com/2011/11/tomato-free-gluten-free-chicken.html) later in the week.

Add to the left overs from these two meals the 5 remaining servings from last night’s brown rice, pinto bean, asparagus, roast turkey and kale stew and I’m set for the remaining meals as well.

Lucky you to be on the go! I love to travel. We’re trying this week to eat through our large stash of oranges – lots of smoothies at our house this week. I’m also still working through our freezer meat to be ready for a new beef order soon. I have lots of beef soup bones to use up and also a lot of tenderized round steak. Funny how my least favorite cuts always last the longest… Our full menu is here: http://www.simplifylivelove.com/2012/03/weekly-menu-freezer-cooking-plan-318.html

6. Michelle B. says

I see a couple other people have already made the comment I was going to make on subbing coconut flour. I have had good results subbing brown rice flour 1:1 for regular flour. Unless a recipe actually calls for coconut flour I don’t use it because I have no clue what all the changes are that I would have to make, I just know it didn’t work when I tried to just replace regular flour with coconut.

• Andrea says

Yes, brown rice flour is an excellent suggestion! If you’re going to sub with coconut, Google it first for tips.

just a caution as amy and andrea mentioned, you can NOT sub coconut flour 1:1. It indeed is very fibrous and dense and will soak up all the liquid in that recipe. you need at least 4 eggs per 1/3 cup coconut flour or appx 1 egg per 1 oz coconut flour plus other liquid called for in the recipe. PW recipe has 1/2 cup flour in the pancake recipe so you’ll probably need to add an additional 4 eggs keeping the 3 already in the recipe and the other liquids. I think you’ll be very disappointed if you sub 1 for 1. you might try rice flour or almond flour instead.

8. Stephanie says

You should try making kale chips. I tried them and I ate a whole bunch of kale in one sitting, they were so delicious! I did not feel one bit guilty about eating a whole bunch of kale either.

Hi Crystal,
    Just a friendly smidgen of advice: DON’T substitute coconut flour in the same amount. Coconut flour eats up liquid like crazy and can’t be substituted cup-for-cup for any other flour. It is actually more of a fiber. For example, 1/2 cup of coconut flour makes an entire dozen cupcakes. You’ll end up with a thick, goopy mess. Not to bust the bubble or anything. And I’m sorry, I couldn’t tell you exactly how much you’ll need, but it will be a LOT less than the corn flour called for. If you let it sit a bit, it will slowly eat up the liquid, and you’ll get a feel for how much more you need. Good luck! :)

10. Angie D says

Be warned about those Reese’s PB bars…they are out of this world. Maybe make them right before you leave. ;-)

11. Ashley says

Crystal, et. al. – I really enjoy reading your weekly menus for inspiration, but one thing I’ve wondered – based on your menu, how does your family keep from getting hungry before the next meal? I love the thought of just having granola bars on the way to church or a smoothie and salad for lunch, but I feel like our family would get uncomfortably hungry before the next meal (especially my husband). I think we’re a pretty normal family health and fitness-wise. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Well, usually we’re all really hungry by the end of church and the kids usually have a snack on the way home from church to tide them over until lunch. :) But we just usually don’t have much time to make breakfast so granola bars are better than eating nothing. Someday I’m going to be more organized about the Sunday morning get everyone out the door thing… ;)

On a Sunday morning when I’m really organized, I try to have everyone eat scrambled eggs, too, as that helps tide us over! :)

During the week, we almost always have an afternoon snack because a salad or smoothie definitely doesn’t hold us out until dinner.

• Christy says

You could try making something the night before–I know your doing GF, but a lot of times I make muffins the night before. Or french toast casserole–then I set my alarm to wake me up an hour before I expect everyone to be up, stick it in the oven, and lay back down. Maybe you can find some GF ideas? I’ve also seen lots of breakfast crock pot recipes on pinterest lately–you could have it simmer in the crock pot overnight.

Yes, I really should–or just make up some freezer breakfasts. We’re usually out until late on Saturday night (we have a standing dinner with Jesse’s family that night) so I’m usually pretty tired by the time I get home and get the kids in bed. But I could definitely do the freezer thing… not sure why I’ve not really thought about that… thank you for the great idea!

Greek chicken and couscous tonight, replica recipe of Toscany Zuppa soup from Olive Garden on Wednesday, homemade pizza on Friday.

I started a series on meal-planning too, in case anyone was struggling with where to be begin!

13. August says

I’m having a really hard time finding a sub for the flour. I can’t use coconut, rice, soy, almond, or rye flour. What’s left? My husband has the allergies, but I’m dying without my ap flour! I can’t cave though because I dedicated a whole week preparing for my month meal plan. Now I’ve got all this stuff and the corn meal I was using to sub completely ruined my bread.

The kids and I had the avocado, kiwi and green tea smoothies this morning. Delicious! I can’t wait to make them again.

Just curious how you do the Reese’s Peanut Butter Bars gluten free since they call for graham crackers. I’ve made them before, and would love to make them for my gluten free family members.

I’m going to use gluten-free corn puffs. I think you could also use puffed rice or Rice Krispies. We’ll see how they turn out!

• Meredith says

With the Rice Krispies, would you just crush enough for the amount of graham cracker crumbs the recipe calls for? Also, can graham cracker crumbs be bought or do you crush actual graham crackers?:)

16. Melody (gluten free, grain free, sugar free) says

Monday
    2 egg vegetable omelette ( with red and green italian peppers and tomatoes)
    Tuesday
    2 scrambled eggs goat cheese and black olives and grape tomatoes
    Wednesday
    2 boiled eggs, black olives and grape tomatoes,
    Thursday
    Feta cheese, grape tomatoes and cucumbers w drizzle of olive oil, black olives and fresh parsley
    Friday
    2 fried eggs, black olives, grape tomatoes, cucumbers and green italian peppers
    Saturday
    Tomatoes and Green italian peppers mediterranean frittata, feta cheese
    cucumber and parsley, avacado
    Sunday
    Potato mediterraniean omelette, grated feta cheese and grated tomatoes w drizzle of olive oil and black pepper, cucumber, green italian peppers and avacados

I love black pepper so all omellettes and frittatas have a lot of black pepper, very little himalayan salt and made with olive oil. All the veggies that I eat in the morning mostly have no dressing maybe a little himalayan salt on it. Sometimes a drizzle of EVOO.

17. Tricia says

I made the Raw Cookie Dough bites last week after seeing the link on pinterest. They were YUMMY. I added more chocolate chips than it called for and used almonds instead of walnuts. Oh, and I didn’t shape them into little balls, but pressed the “dough” into the bottom of a square container and cut them into squares (seriously, who has time to be that meticulous with two little ones…) :)

18. Alicia Hart says

I am thrilled that you are experimenting with a gluten free and dairy free menu plan. It has been a HUGE blessing for us! It is so nice to try some new gluten free recipes. Theses are great.

Alicia

19. Mandy says

I feel like I missed something somewhere along the line…why are you going gluten free? And thank you for all of the menu plan ideas =)