Do-It-Yourself Experiment: Making Homemade Naan

So, after months of wanting to try making it, I finally made Homemade Naan yesterday. And it was so, so simple.

I used this recipe from Food For My Family. It worked just exactly like she outlined. I don’t have a baking stone, so I just used a cookie sheet. The texture might have been a little better with a baking stone, but they still turned out well.

I decided to just make a single batch instead of trying to double or triple it. And I think that’s probably what made it such a cinch. Of course, it only made five, but hey, at least I can now say that I made Homemade Naan. :)

The result was beautiful and yummy, though I think the Greek yogurt gives it a bit of an interesting taste (However, believe it or not, I’ve never had Naan before, so I’m guessing that’s just probably how it’s supposed to taste?!).

At any rate, I will definitely be making homemade naan again–especially now that I know how easy it is to make!

In case you missed it, here’s my list of 12 DIY projects I plan to attempt in 2012:

12 Do-It-Yourself Projects I Plan to Attempt in 2012

January: Homemade Hair Detangler

February: Homemade Naan

March: Homemade Facewash

April: Homemade Pop-Tarts

May: Homemade English Muffins

June: Homemade Wheat Thins

July: Homemade Bagels in the Bread Machine

August: Homemade Moisturizing Kitchen Hand Scrub

September: Homemade Whole-Wheat Pretzel Bites

October: Homemade Hand Lotion

November: Homemade Vick’s Vapor Rub

December: Homemade Bubble Bath

Have you tried any new DIY projects recently?

Comments

1. Sonja says

My husband is Indian, but he only made roti (chapatti bread), which is made with wheat flour. He made naan a week ago, but used a flour with a heavy wheat content. They were good, not as heavy tasting as roti, but I would prefer a little more white flour rise on the dough.

Indian food is so easy and tasty, I can’t believe I had never tried it before meeting my husband!

2. Ellen says

Just curious why you wanted to make naan if you’d never had it before? Most people don’t know what it is unless they’ve been introduced to it through friends or a restaurant. Are you a fan of Indian or Asian food?

I lived in China for two years and LOVED the naan that Uyghur people would make. They baked it by slapping the dough onto the sides of metal barrels with fires at the bottom! It was absolutely wonderful with roasted meat and vegetable dishes.

3. Renee says

Thanks for posting this recipe! I tried it last week, and it was so much better than the Naan I made with the recipe from my (Betty Crocker) Indian cookbook. I’m trying to make an Indian meal a couple times a week because it’s my husband’s favorite type of food. The Naan at the grocery store is $1 per piece, so that’s NOT an option. :)

4. Paige says

Girl, I love you, my sister in Christ. You’re awesome & you deserve to treat yourself to a real baking stone. They are inexpensive and your artisan bread will “work” and your pizza will never be the same! I use your dough recipe on a pizza stone and it’s awesome!

I was going to post the exact same thing! We used to make pizza on a large cookie sheet, too, and it was fine, but it never got crispy like you expect pizza to be. My husband bought me a pizza stone for my birthday last year (it was even on sale! love him!) and we would NEVER go back to the baking sheet! It really is THAT much better! Like Paige says, they are really inexpensive (mine was less than $20) and are so worth it.

• Kelsey says

Yes, I have a pampered chef baking stone (around $20-25) and worth every penny. I make cookies, bread, etc on it.

5. Heather says

Naan is great stuff – but the real question is, what delicious Indian food did you eat with it??

• A. S. says

I second this! What did you enjoy with the naan (which I love – had some for dinner tonight, Indian take-out!).

6. Tiana says

I recently made homemade bread machine bagels that turned out amazing! And some homemade granola bars! I know you try to do gluten free, the granola bars were…they were from the Smitten Kitchen blog (her chewy granola bars) I’ve tried several of her recipes, most of them gluten free…and all yummy!

I just got around to making foaming hand soap (so easy and sooo frugal), homemade laundry soap, and using plain white vinegar as a fabric softener, which works great!! Also a fantastic laundry deodorizer: all five if us had a terrible stomach bug this week and I had a mountain if icky-smelling blankets and towels. 1/2 cup vinegar added to the wash really got the smells out.

Also, All You had a recipe for DIY dishwasher detergent that I’m excited to try!

Funny you posted your 12 diy ideas. I just made some DIY eye makeup remover pads. Before this, I only used the “good stuff”, and between me and my teenage daughters, we use a lot of it. Now I can make it with on-hand items, and it costs me nothing! Free is always a good thing!

9. kathy says

Looks so yummy! Congratulations on reaching your February goal. I plan Got my daughter in law and myself to make some soon. Angel that she is she helps me since I have pretty bad arthritis. This reminds me of a hoe cake bread I used to make for my son. It requires only flour, water, and a little sugar. I would mix And pour into my iron fry pan and cook on stove top turning only once. It makes wonderful pull apart bread but he liked it with syrup for breakfast!

10. Kelsey says

I am going to make homemade floor soap for scrubbing my floors. Distilled Vinegar, water, and castile liquid soap.