Blueberry Ginger Smoothie Recipe

When I first saw this recipe in the May/June 2011 issue of the Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade magazine, I thought it sounded like a very strange combination. But the more I thought about it, the more the idea grew on me.

So I tried it this week — and thought it was really quite good. The ginger added a fun zing and a refreshing twist. If you try this, I’d love to hear what you think about it!

Comments

1. EMILY says

I wonder if this would help with morning sickness, I know ginger is supposed to help and I don’t like ginger ale, I will have to try this. :)

2. Marie says

Do you use fresh ginger or the spice in a jar? Also what type of Vita Mixer do you have?

3. Zena says

How much are blueberries around y’all? At Harris Teeter the other day, they were SIX DOLLARS for one of those tiny little clamshells. I didn’t even bother to look at the frozen.

I got mine at Aldi. They go on sale there every few months. Also, definitely do check out the price of frozen as I’ve found it sometimes will vary widely from fresh.

4. Julie Hall says

I haven’t tried this yet, but it looks great. We love smoothies. Crystal, I noticed sometimes you meal plan smoothies for breakfast. Do you find they are filling enough for everyone?

5. Annie says

I just made one with a slight variation. My lactose free version included almond milk and about a half cup of fresh blueberries. It gave me a friday treat feeling. Yummy.

Well, I tried this with some variations: I only had plain yogurt, so I added some vanilla extract. We also like to get spinach in via our smoothies, so I added a handful. In the end, I really didn’t like the ginger-blueberry combo, and I like ginger! It was okay, but not something I think I’ll try again. Thanks for posting the recipe and prodding me out of my “normal/usual/comfort” zone, though, Crystal! ;)

My son and I rarely miss starting our day with a blueberry smoothie. Now I’m going to have to start making blueberry/ginger smoothies! You may want to try blackberry and ginger!! There was a company in the late 90s called Howler that made a blackberry ginger sorbet that was TO DIE FOR!! I don’t think the company is around any more. I had forgotten about this combination until I saw your post.