Bread Machine Buttery Rolls

My dad surprised me with this brand-spankin’-new bread machine for Christmas! My other bread machine was on its very last leg after being used countless times over the last seven years, so I was thrilled with this gift. Plus, this new one is more high-tech, larger, and has two kneading paddles. I’ve already been extremely impressed at the difference in texture of the dough I’ve made as opposed to my other smaller bread machine.

The new bread machine came just in time for the Eat From The Pantry Challenge and has proven to be a very useful tool to have at my disposal–especially on days when I don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.

I tried a new recipe yesterday since we needed some bread to go along with dinner. This is a recipe from my brother, it uses basic ingredients you usually will always have on hand, and it literally took me 5 minutes of labor!

The rolls turned out beautifully and my whole family thought they were very delicious. It’s definitely a winner recipe and one I’ll be making many times again.

Now that I have a bread machine which makes beautiful dough with only a few minutes of work, I think I’m going to be doing a whole lot more baking. I might even attempt making cinnamon roll dough in the bread machine–something I’ve never had success with before.

Do you have any favorite bread machine recipes which only take staple ingredients that I’d likely have in my pantry? Leave me a link to them so I can consider trying them during our Eat From the Pantry Challenge!

Comments

1. Katie says

HELP NEEDED PLEASE:)

I have a Kenwood Rapid Bake BM200 Breadmaker bought for me by my kind mother-in-law only we seem to have lost the instructions in one of our many house moves. Looking at your picture and reading your recipe (plus wanting to do it for the “use from the pantry challenge”) has made me long for homemade bread. I would be very grateful, (so will my children and husband) if someone could tell me how to use it!!

It appears to have different programmes but I can”t remember what they are for and after several frantic hours of trying to find the instruction (and free recipe booklet) I have resolved to the fact they are well and truly lost:(

2. Lisa says

I am wondering if they hold up well over night? Some bread machine rolls just dont do well the next day. Are they still soft and yummy the next day?

3. Jason baby says

I bought a brand new machine too before Xmas. I need to get it out my basement and make some bread!

4. cjs says

Thanks for all the recipes everyone – I have a bread machine that I haven’t used in ages. I was thinking of selling it, but now I have new inspiration!

5. Summer says

I just made these exact rolls this past weekend, and they were delicious! They made a ton, so we had two night worth of yummy rolls from them. I have another batch working in my bread machine as we speak!

6. Tish says

I too use the recipe for clone of a cinnabon on allrecipes…They are so easy to throw together and delicious…I love to make them a day ahead and keep in the fridge until ready to use, just take them out and let the rise before baking:)!

7. Susie E. says

I use my fresh milled flour and my standard bread recipe for cinnamon rolls. I don’t need extra sugar in the dough because of the simple, yummy cream cheese icing I use.
    Basic dough for loaves, rolls, or cinnamon rolls:
    1 1/2 c warm buttermilk (regular milk is ok in a pinch)
    1 egg
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1/3 cup sugar, or sucanant
    4 1/2 cups fresh milled flour
    1/2 c instant potato flakes (makes a lighter consistency)
    1 tbs yeast
    2 tsp salt

Add ingredients to breadmaker in order listed. when dough cycle is complete, roll out the dough to about 1 inch thick. Spread with soft butter or magarine, sprinke with a 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar mixture and then spread 1/2 cup brown sugar over the top of the cinnamon mixture. (optional…sprinkle raisins or craisins on top of brown sugar) roll up dough, cut into 1 inch slices and place in well greased pans. Let rise til double. Bake for 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
    Icing:
    soften 4 oz of cream cheese. sift in 1 1/2 to 2 cups powered sugar and stir til blended. Add OJ to reach a pourable consistency (it doen’st take much, just a tablespoon or two!!!) pour over warm rolls.
    (This is one of the most popular dishes at our Teacher Appreciation breakfasts!)

That is so funny… we got a bread machine years ago for our wedding, and I’ve never used it. But just two nights ago I got it out and started looking through the recipes. I’ll definitely have to try it out this weekend!

9. Lea says

I’m contemplating buying this bread machine too–how timely. If you’re looking for more recipes, I’ve heard good reviews about The Bread Lover’s Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger.

These rolls look delicious! They will be showing up on our menu next week! I also tried your banana bread recipe tonight, slightly altered to make muffins and I added chocolate chips and my two year old said, “Mommy, I love them!”. I have enjoyed the creativity and fun experiments with the Eat out of the Pantry Challenge!

Your recipe is pretty much the Buttery Bread Machine Rolls from Recipezaar and they are a favorite at our house. I make them for everything. They also freeze very well. I do brush them with butter as soon as they come out of the oven. I got my bread maker at a garage sale and I love it. I really mainly only use it for making the dough.

Here are some of my favorite bread machine recipes:

I know it isn’t a bread machine recipe, but if you are going to make cinnamon rolls I highly recommend Pioneer Woman’s cinnamon rolls. They are unbelievable.

And THE BEST WHOLE WHEAT BREAD RECIPE EVER is Marilyn Moll’s recipe:
    I just use her bread machine instructions.

Congrats on getting your new machine.

12. Kelly says

Would you mind posting the name/brand/model of your new bread maker? I have looked at getting one, but would like to get one that others can highly recommend.
    THANKS!

I was wondering about freezing too. I’m looking to participate in some OAMC and read somewhere that you should freeze the dough in “balls” separately, before the first rise. Then take them out, let them rise, and bake. Once place actually said to let them rise, punch them down and let them rise again before baking? Crystal, have you had any “freezing” experience with this particular recipe? I would love to have ready made dough in the freezer. Thanks!

14. Krista lyle says

Thank you so much, I made these last nite they were so good and so easy. I think I am going to start using them in place of store bought buns. Thanks again!!!

15. mandy says

I don’t have a bread machine. If I were to do this by hand, how long does your bread cycle run, as in how long should I knead and rise the dough before I shape it into rolls. Thanks, sounds so good!

16. Rae says

Thanks for that tip Kansas Mom, never thought about cutting it first then slicing. I still want a horizontal maker but that will atleast hold me off until then lol.

And Tammy, yes good point. Crystal your dad is really great at thoughtful, useful, and generous gifts. He sounds like a great dad :)

17. christy says

Just made the dough and they are currently rising. Did half white and half whole wheat so we shall see how they turn out. I have always been intimidated by my bread machine but might have to give it a try more often, would like to start making our bread instead of buying.

18. Alison says

My favorite homemade cinnamon rolls recipe is called “Cinnamon Rolls III” from AllRecipes.com

I love my Zo…it ROCKS! You can skip over to my blog to get a recipe for Rice Bread. It’s a super bread, that also uses up your leftover white or brown rice….
    I also have a trusted Hawaiian dinner roll recipe that I’ll be posting this next week when I make oven ribs :)

Like I always say: A Zo is the way to go!!!

Happy Baking!!

20. Katie says

Found an instruction manual on the kenwood site which was downloadable!

Made bread with my 5 yr old and he had it for his tea with Honey on it:) Happy now both smiling.

I just made these, I didn’t have any flour just bread machine flour and they turned out FANTASTIC!! They were sooooooooooooo good!!!

Thanks !

My parents bought me this EXACT same bread machine, and I had NO bread baking experience, it was just always something I wanted to try. I wasn’t expecting such an awesome machine for my first one! It took me a few trials to nail down white bread, but I’ve managed to find a good, fast and easy one. I’m thrilled that you’ve asked for good recipes because I have been looking to broaden my horizons!

I made this recipe today and it was AMAZING. The only addition was that I added 2 heaping teaspoons of gluten since I used freshly ground whole wheat flour for half the flour. Loved it!! In answer to some of the questions about bread machines, I have a vitamix and grind my own flour, but I use a Breadman Ultimate Plus machine. I got it at Walmart.com for $60-$70 and have been really happy with it. It has a stainless steel finish and does well with whole wheat bread.

24. Tracy K. says

Crystal: thank you so much for the recipe. I made these rolls last night and my boys gobbled them up. I rolled all the dough-balls out and put half in the freezer. I was afraid we would have too many leftover and they wouldn’t get ate. Should have baked them all. My husband commented that this was a definite “make again” recipe. Again, much thanks for all you do!

I love the breadmaker, I’m making bread right now! Someone asked for maker recommendations, and after much review, I opted for the Panasonic SD-yd250, and I love it. It was under $100 when I got it. I have read that some of the best breadmakers are the ones like moneysavingmom just got though, I believe those are the top of the line, brand wise, but that was out of my budget at the time and having never tried breadmakers before I was hesitant to go right to the more exp. brands. My panasonic breadmaker has been awesome though, I really love it and always recommend it to friends asking about breadmakers. I know they’re a bit expensive, but totally worth it if you love fresh bread, it’s super quick to just through all the ingredients in, and let it do all the work!

No one has suggested making soft pretzels yet…. I like this recipe (but I don’t know who to credit) but I’m still searching for the perfect cheesy-mustard recipe.

Also- I often make a batch of bread dough and wrap it around hot dogs or sausages (We used to have these pigs-in-a-blanket for school lunches on Fridays). They are a big hit with the kids and my husband loves to take them out in the field with him…. it doesn’t matter if they get smooshed in a backpack. And I’ve rolled dough out for “dinner-namon” rolls…. just sprinkle with leftover taco meat, cheese, pulverized veggies, tomato sauce…. (or chicken & white sauce) or whatever leftovers you have…. roll up like cinnamon rolls, let rise and bake. Super-easy finger food dinner that can be eaten in the yard while running through the sprinklers. (Yes, I have summer on my mind…. it is cold here.)

Soft Pretzels
    1/8 tsp white pepper
    1 Tbsps active dry yeast

Glaze
    1 egg white
    1 Tbsp water

Toppings
    kosher salt or sesame seeds or parm sprinkles

Use dough setting. Remove from breadmaker when done.
    Punch down and on a lightly floured surface cut the dough into 16 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a rope about 16″ long and shape into a pretzel.

Place the pretzels on a greased baking sheet 1 1/2″ apart. Brush with combined egg white and water. Sprinkle with toppings. Bake in preheated 375 degree (F) oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until gold brown.

27. rachelc says

I am making these right now… and I am VERY excited!! Ha ha. Just wanted to say how much I love my bread machine. I got it as a wedding gift. I think it took me like 3 years to get it out of the box. Now I used it almost every week. LOVE IT. It’s also good to know that I might be able to get one at a thrift store if I burn this one out!!

28. rachelc says

Just wanted to follow up and say… these were DELICIOUS. I had some butter spray, which I used before I baked them. I thought they were perfect. Thanks so much. This one is a keeper for us.

29. Amy says

Crystal-
    I need some help! I tried this recipe and others, my rolls just don’t seem to rise enough. I’m wondering if I got the milk too hot or not hot enough. Do you use a thermometer to check the temp of the milk?
    I used 1/2 arthur court white bread flour and 1/2 prairie gold whole wheat.
    Thanks!

30. Lauren says

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I tried them & they came out perfectly & were so delicious. I thought I was going to freeze some of them, but they disappeared far too fast for that.

31. Rachel says

I made these rolls this week and they were the best rolls I’ve ever had! They turned out perfect … I did add a bit more sugar to make the dough and as soon as they came out of the oven, I brushed honey butter on them. SO YUMMY!! I froze the few that we didn’t eat and they come out perfectly after just a few seconds in the microwave. My kids and husband loved them in their lunches as ham and cheese rolls. I will make this recipe over and over again! Thanks for another winner, Crystal! I love so many of your recipes. :)

32. Angela O says

Could someone help me–I don’t generally do well with yeast breads and this one is no exception. I’ve made this 3 times and and each time they just don’t rise well. What am I missing? HELP?????? (I do love the taste, but boy, are they heavy!)