Waffles and Banana Bread

After getting back from the errand and getting everyone situated for our afternoon Quiet Time, I mixed up the banana bread batter and stuck it in the oven. I’ve made a lot of various banana bread recipes over the years, but this recipe is hands-down the best one ever.

Like the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe, I wouldn’t say it is the most healthful banana bread recipe ever invented, but it sure is delicious! Plus, it freezes exceptionally well and makes for a quick and easy snack or breakfast.

I usually let the bread cool, then slice it, and stick it in a freezer bag in the freezer. We just pull out slices as needed. I often will pack a few slices for a snack if we are heading out for a few hours so we’re not tempted to run through a fast-food drive-thru lane for a quick snack.

After the banana bread was mixed together and in the oven, I made up the waffle batter and started baking waffles while I mixed up the Blueberry Streusel Muffins and cleaned up the kitchen.

Next up: Pictures of the Blueberry Streusel Muffins, the final results of my Baking Day efforts, and a Mr. Linky for you to share links to any baking you did

Comments

I’ve been following your Baking Day as I had a small one of my own. I’ve put up corn, blueberries, frozen waffles, a loaf of bread, cookies and cookie dough and hamburger buns and hot dog buns. I have two questions:

1. Do you ever make hot dog buns or hamburger buns? I use my bread machine to start the dough. Then I shape them and let them rise one more time and bake!

2. How do you freeze your breads? Zip-Locs, plastic?

2. Rachel B says

Your waffles look like they came out perfect! How long do you leave each one in your waffle iron?

Oooh, banana bread! Meijer has bananas at 39 cents a pound this week, I should get some extra and make banana bread to freeze!

4. Danika says

Does anyone ever tell you how amazing you are? To have 3 young children (including a newborn), to be baking all day, and blogging as you go? You are an inspiration of multitasking and energy…

5. Christine says

Your Banana Bread recipe is the same one my Gramma passed on to me years ago. I have to agree with you, I’ve never tasted a better one.

6. Lauren R says

I have to agree with Danika, your energy is amazing and such an inspiration to me!! I started following your blog about a month ago and love it!! I have been waiting to see when your next baking day would be and when I saw you were doing it I decided I would give the recipe for the pita pockets a try. I did make the whole wheat version and it was so fun!! I am amazed that I made them and it was pretty easy too!! I brought a few over to my neighbors and they loved them. They taste so fresh! I wanted to say thank you for opening my eyes to so many possibilities!! thank you :)

Everything looks so yummy. I wish Ihad the time to do some baking. Maybe in a few weeks I can get some done. It has been awful hot here and I told my daughter do not turn on the oven!

8. Laura says

I really like this recipe for Banana Bread and have shared it with others. One thing I did to make it a little healthier is to substitue half of the oil with applesauce. Works very well and is still nice and moist.

9. Krystal says

HELP! Im making the banan bread right now and just realized I only have half the oil serving- and I have no apple sauce! What can I use instead?

10. Krystal says

never mind, I used butter and it worked great! The bread is DELICIOUS! Thanks so much :)

11. Lisa says

Hi Crystal!
    I am truly amazed at what you do with three small children (an infant, no less). I am not even sure I did anything productive when my children were so young… just cleaned up a lot of messes, I think!

Anyhow, a question about waffles. We make Belgian waffles for dinner from time to time. Fresh out of the iron with strawberries, whipped cream and syrup… hard to beat! I too make up any leftover batter and put the waffles in the freezer but, we don’t think they are as good when we toast / microwave them. How do you prepare your frozen waffles??